Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1

Another undecided digi consumer wanting to find my first digital camera. Can someone give me some insight to these choices?

First let me say that I want to be able to shoot pics of my husbands basketball team. So, I want a big zoom and to be able to shoot with the light present in a gym. I need to take action shots of individual players that can be printed 8X10 and presented to them at graduation. I also, of course want a good camera for my family pics. I have never owned a digital camera, but have played around with my Canon AE-1 for 20-some-odd years.

Panosonic FZ 10 - great lens, hot shoe, IS, 12X zoom, burst mode, 4 megapixel, EVF lag in burst mode

Kyocera m410 - 10X zoom, burst mode, no hot shoe, don't know about the lens, 4 megapixel, no lag inburst mode in the EVF.

Canon IS - 10X zoom, glass lens, IS, no burst mode, 3 mega pixel

Or should I consider waiting for the FZ20?

TIA, Sandy
gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:34 PM   #2

Hi, I have an FZ10 and LOVE it but it does have a bit of a learning curve to taking pictures of moving objects, and its not great in low light. I hear the Canon S1IS may be better in low light. My response to your query isnt to steer you to one camera or the other but merely to consider buying your camera from a place like Amazon or Dell that will allow you to return the camera if not satisfied with no restocking fee!
All it costs you is return postage and insurance. This shouldnt cost any more than $10 at DHL with $500 insurance on it. They often have free shipping and no tax. Thats not bad, being able to try out a camera and return it if you dont like it for $10. A time frame of 21 days I think for Dell from ship date and 30 days for Amazon. I think it is better to spend a little more to get this option. Especially on a higher end camera. We have Meijer stores here in Michigan that will allow the same thing. I am going to try the FZ20 when it comes out myself. My FZ10 is a Great camera and FUN to use. My sister has the Canon S1IS and loves it but I cant comment on it being suitable for your purpose, although the small LCD display may be a drawback for shooting basketball snapshots but it does come in handy in other instances though! The video is said to be the best on the Canon of any digital camera out there.
Sounds like you are pretty informed allready. Good Luck!
superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:03 PM   #3

Thanks for your imput. I have considered that with the Canon IS I can purchase it at Walmart and it would be easy to return it. I just wish it had a burst mode. Plus, it's only 3 mega pixel. Since I haven't dealt with digital before, I'm not certain that there's a huge difference between 3 and 4 megapixels. I drive myself nuts with this buying stuff. I was pretty sold on the Panasonic FZ10 until I read some of the posts here and then the news about the FZ20 hit and that just added to my confusion. I'm sure that I would love the FZ10. Do you think I'd have to use the external flash in a gym?
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:57 AM   #4

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Gypsea I've been a professional photographer since 1965 and the FZ10, for the investment, is such a winner because it basically has $5,000 in lens capability on a $500 camera.

I like it because it's so easy to do it all and not go home without it.

It's light, rugged, and regardless of what "nay" sayers offer, I believe any complaints can be overcome with attention to the hands on "learning curve" issue.

An add-on external flash would be good for your individual player shots.

The noise issue can be overcome with some additonal software, most at little or no cost.

I use an expensive Nikon D1X at work with a complete additional lens system yet I love my Fluzie, she's fun and soooo easy to carry around as my cadid sidekick.

If you get a chance, go to onlinephotographers.com, under general discussion I posted a few days ago a thought regarding "newer and better."

You've to start somewhere and I don't think you can go wrong starting and learning with Fluzie 10, especially if you see a price drop when Fluzie 20 comes out-keep in mind however that it will be a bit before it gets into full production.

Just a thought!

Mark Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:20 AM   #5

Mark,

Thanks for you raves about your Fluzie! I checked out the link you suggested and what you stated made sense. I'm going to start watching to see of the FZ10 drops in price and then go for it!

I also enjoyed some of your other posts and was led to your myfloridahouse site. Great shots!! Of course, I "shutter" (pun intended) to think that this is a representation (another zing) of your political views in the great state of Fla

Sandy