Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:58 PM   #1

I am getting ready to purchase a 4 megapixel, 10x optical zoom digital camera. I have narrowed my search down to 3: Kodak Easyshare DX6490, Olympus C-765, or the Minolta Dimage Z2. All 3 seem like great cameras and I am having a hard time deciding. I am not an advanced photographer, but wanted the 10x optical zoom, just in case I should want or need to use it. Does anyone have any advice, to help me choose between these three? Any pros and cons I should know about? Thanks!
StaeheliGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 4:52 PM   #2

My sister has the Kodak camera and it takes very good pictures. She bought it because of the 10X zoom. You will need a tripod in lowlight conditions with the full zoom unless you have a very steady hand.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:13 PM   #3

I was also looking at the same 3 cameras but you might also want to consider the Panasonic FZ10 or if you can wait until Sept, the FZ20. Both have 12x optical zoom, the FZ10 is 4 MP and the FZ20 will be 5 MP. What's nice about both is that they have an image stablizer which makes it a lot easier to focus at 10x or even 12x. Also the Canon PS1 I (I think) has an image stablizer. I know the last thing you wanted was more options but you might take a look. However, the Panasonic cameras might be larger that you want. Anyway, just a thought. Out of the three, look at the olympus but you might try the C-770. It appears to have a better flash for indoors. The Kodak is a nice camera too. More of a point and shoot but has a great LCD and easy to use software. I don't know much about the Minolta. I'm sure you've looked at Steve's Buyer's Guide. It has been helpful to me. Be sure to look at the sample pictures since that's what its all about!
banderson317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would be so hard to choose. I thought I had decided on the Kodak, then I called a couple camera shops and they both said they don't even carry the Kodak brand because they have had so many problems with Kodak, and one guy said the cameras were cheaply made. But then I read the Consumer Reports and the Kodak was the top rated one for the 4 megapixel category. Go figure!
StaeheliGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:12 AM   #5

If you can wait a little longer: the Konica Minolta DiMage Z3 is just around the corner - look.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote