Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:59 PM   #1
KOT

Help!!!! I am new to digital photography and do not want to make the wrong decision on a new camera. I live out in the woods with my wife and son and want to purchase a digital camera under $300- 350.00+_. I am not a camera guy but can become one and don't want to buy junk. The camera will be used to take indoor and outdoor pictures of my family and wildlife in the area. I am an avid traditional bowhunter and will take it on camping/hunting trips to capture scenes and on occasion I will need it to record successful harvests. Whatshould I get????????I need compact but due to multiple uses I want something for all around.....Thanks for any advise.
KOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:07 AM   #2
KOT

Why won't anyone respond to my post? Please help.
KOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:26 AM   #3

KOT

Both of the cameras you have listed have their strengths, the Canon has the articulated LCD and lots of options for add on lenses (requires an adapter and results in a loss of lens speed), as well as an easy to use interface. The Olympus is well protected in harsh environments and has a shape which will comfortably fit in a pocket. They both take excellent pictures and are among the best cameras in this particular class, however, my concern is that, given your outdoor pursuits, will the lenses of these cameras give you the reach you need to take wildlife pictures? Perhaps something with a longer zoom would fit better (note that you can add lenses to the Canon but then there is the issue of small effective apertures, this would mean slow shutter speeds, not good when trying to catch a fleeting deer in a wooded area [shade]).

Before you buy, take a look at cameras such as the Fuji S5000 (there have been some complaints about image noise but it has a big zoom and it operates quite fast), the Kodak DX6490 is another candidate as well as the new Kyocera Finecam M410R.

My advice is to sit down and set your priorities, based on the type of photography you most want to do, and then research Steve's reviews (and others he has listed) to help decide. These things are too expensive to buy on a whim, glad to see you doing it right.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote