Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:34 PM   #1

We need a camera capable of taking good pictures of our 9 month old who will not sit still. I will need to have quick shutter response, good autofocus indoors & in low light. Only really need to print 4x6's, but it would be nice to have the resolution to print up to 8x10's when we get that great shot.

We currently have a Sony FD75 which I use for work (whicj I am very fond of, if only it had more resolution), a Kodak CX4230 (which has horrible response, but when it works takes some nice pictures), and a Canon S1 which is great for everything I want, excpet for taking pictures of the baby, some times I just can't get it to pre focus, if I manual focus he is gone by the time I am ready.

I am thinking Sony P73 / 93 or Casio QVR51, both seem to get good reviews in the areas of shutter response & low light autofocus.

Any comments on the suitability of either of these cameras or other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Dave
kenyoncad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:43 AM   #2

Your best bet is probably the Sony V1.

The holographic focus is very fast in limited light.

It has a hot shoe. An inexpensive automatic flash unit will improve your flash pictures immeasurably.

It has a continuous focus mode. Most cameras do anymore but I have two cameras without it. The difference with rugrats is night and day. You can pre-focus and hold it if the subject moves as it continues to focus.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:22 AM   #3

I have taken a good look at the V1 before, and the laser hologram focus feature would be very helpful I am sure, however its a little out of my price range (probably should have mentioned that in my first post), we were hoping to only spend low $300's or less, V1 seems to be around mid $400's. Also the camera will be used probably 80% of the time by my wife who likes the point & shoot approach, so manual features while nice are not really a priority. I would also prefer the camera to useAA batteries, as I have a plenty of rechargeables already. Memory format is not an issue as I will be buying new memory for whatever I buy anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:44 AM   #4

yickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:55 AM   #5

Put a little LED light on the S1. My FZ10 is poor for low light focus and a little LED light fixed it up fine. I prefer one with an on/off switch rather than momentary.

I picked one of these up because it was cheap for a light with a switch. It also turned out to be especially bright. I have a Photon which reviews say is probably the brightest, and the Princeton unit is at least as bright as the Photon. The downside is that it is larger than the Photon. It works fine for my FZ10 but might be a little large for the S1.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Someone suggested a red or even IR might be better for photographing people. I usually focus and turn mine off if people are staring directly into the camera. But red or IR would probably be better. I can focus with the white light in complete darkness out to about 12 feet, and white does let me frame better with the poorly designed EVF on the FZ10.

I'm not as enamoured with NiMH as some people. They are bulky, heavy and lose about 5% of their charge daily. You can't just pick the camera up after it has been sitting a couple of weeks and expect any battery life. Lithiums on most cameras will fill a 256Mb card easily and spares aren't really necessary. They lose only about 2%/month. I have a camera that takes 4 NiMH AAs and think Minolta did a good thing going to lithium for the later versions of the camera (A1/2). I have multiple cameras like you and don't much like having to mess with keeping the NiMH batteries topped off.

If you just want an extra camera for the wife make sure to check that continuous focus is included in the features. I find it a necessity once they become rugrats.

This is the LED on my FZ10. I would probably put it on the lens housing on a S1.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:46 AM   #6

I like the LED idea, I never even thought of that, I guess some recommend the IR as it can't be seen by your subjects getting a reaction, the S1 does pick up IR so I may give this a try. I always keep the lens tube on the S1 so I could mountthe LED to it & leave it there.

I think I will pick upa P73 for my wife from CC so if it doesn't work out I can at least return it easily.