Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:58 PM   #1

I would like to buy my second camera, my first camera is a bit old now, Kodak DX3900 3.1MP.

Anyway, my budget is $400-$450. MUST have Li-ion Battery (CR-V3 or RCR-V3 is a good one) NOT those rechargeable AA NiMH. Needs to have 10X optical zoom and 4MP or more.
Gamebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:23 PM   #2

Canon S1 IS is the only that fits the bill, but is 3.1 MP (or 3.2, something like that)

The Pansonic DMC FZ10 has a 12X zoom, but costs ~$500 right now. It should drop in a few months when the FZ3, 15, and 20 come out.

Unless you don't want image stabilization (which you would with a 10X unless you plan to use a tripod) I know Olympus makes a 10X zoom. When I decided on the FZ10, I wanted a lot of zoom, with IS, and 4 MP or more, which pretty much narrowed it down to that one camera.

If 400-450 is your total price, after memory card(s), extra battery, UV filter, etc. then you can't do that on that budget.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:47 AM   #3

OK let up my budget 800-950 (forget the MSRP value, I might get $1000 for $750 price).

Zomm is 7x-10x with image stablization.

After searching on the web, it seems Sony DSC-F828 is a good one, cheaperst price I found was $750 new with free S&H. Never really like Sony because of their proprietary memory format (stupid ATRAC on their portable audio devices).

Are there any options I got. What other camera belongs to ultra zoom category. I also like the Canon but it got puny MP , man what was canon thinking putting a puny MP on a ultra zoom camera.

Also like the new Minolta Dimage Z3 but that thing got AA battery and my question is, is there such thing as rechargeable AA Lithium battery now?

NOTE: NO RECHARGEABLE AA NiMH Battery. MUST BE Li-ION.
Gamebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:15 AM   #4

Gamebox wrote:
Quote:
OK let up my budget 800-950 (forget the MSRP value, I might get $1000 for $750 price).

Zomm is 7x-10x with image stablization.

After searching on the web, it seems Sony DSC-F828 is a good one, cheaperst price I found was $750 new with free S&H. Never really like Sony because of their proprietary memory format (stupid ATRAC on their portable audio devices).

Are there any options I got. What other camera belongs to ultra zoom category. I also like the Canon but it got puny MP , man what was canon thinking putting a puny MP on a ultra zoom camera.

Also like the new Minolta Dimage Z3 but that thing got AA battery and my question is, is there such thing as rechargeable AA Lithium battery now?

NOTE: NO RECHARGEABLE AA NiMH Battery. MUST BE Li-ION.

Canon put those MP's on the camera because with optical zoom you don't need digital, and an 8 MP camera at 2X digital zoom is only 2 MP, which means the Canon beats it without even strutting its 10X optical zoom. Plus, from what I hear, you don't really NEED more than 3 MP's, but I went with the Panasonic for the 4 MP's and some other features. I like the pure black-and-white picture feature of the Panasonic, while the Canon just does gray scale, and a couple other things, not to mention the Panasonic has better zoom. Although, the Panasonic is about $75 more.

I spent around $800 after filters, etc. on my Panasonic FZ10. That and the Canon S1 IS are the only cameras where you'll spend under a grand and still have ultra zoom and IS (IS being the thing that really narrows it down). I went with the Panasonic, but you can make your own decision.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote