Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:15 PM   #1

So much to research and so little time. I currently have a Canon S-300 and have really enjoyed it but it has its limiations. I'm amazed at what a few years has done.

I take mainly scenery and action shots (mountain biking) and many of the mountain biking shots are in lower light levels. Inside of forest.

Possiblly conflicting needs but I like the zoom for getting on top of animals but I'm worried that I can't take photos in the less than ideal mountain bike situations.

The S-300 fairs o.k. It struggles if there is any speed involved.

I also take lots of mini-videos. The s-300 is very bad here. Quality is low.

The S-1 seems to fill my needs with the exception of some concerns I've seen about low light. I believe most of these posters are talking about dusk/evening when they are having issues. I've never printed anything bigger than 8*10 so I'm o.k. with the 3.2MP

Summary

My main needs:

1) Decent pictures 2) Best possible non camcorder videos 3) Versatility / flexability

My main concerns are:

1) Is the non AF Beam really a big deal for what I plan on shooting 2) Its low light capabilities 3) I must be nuts but does it have a lens cover? I would be carrying it on a shoulder pack and it will take a bit of beating when I ride (not direct impacts) but it will be jostled around.

Is this camera a good choice or or their other alternatives in the same price range?

birdman-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:52 AM   #2

Hi the s1 should meet your needs .The lens retreats inside a turret on the front of camera and is well protected as any digi-cam.The movie mode is still as good as any other ultra zoom camera and the image stabilization really helps in video mode.The only other camera on the market that is comparable for video quality is Olylmpus 770 which uses mpeg rather than AVI encoding which is more space efficeint but has pro and cons (Some very long threads on this on the web if you are interested.).As you said low light they refer to is indeed dusk or night indoors etc and the autofocus still works but requires a bit of patience and wide angle setting for best results.

The lens is fitted with a lens cap attached to strap with lanyard

Good Luck

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:28 PM   #3

Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion, but at f3.1 at 10X it is faster than most in the telephoto range. The movies are good but get a big CF card for it.

You will be limited taking action shots in the shade with any camera. You have to pan with the biker and get motion blur in the background. I take it you do that with your current camera and it isn't successful. The S1 is considerably faster in the zoom range than your S300, which should help a little. I don't know of anything that fits your criteria better than the S1, but don't expect miracles.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:15 PM   #4

slipe wrote:
Quote:

Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion, but at f3.1 at 10X it is faster than most in the telephoto range. The movies are good but get a big CF card for it.

You will be limited taking action shots in the shade with any camera. You have to pan with the biker and get motion blur in the background. I take it you do that with your current camera and it isn't successful. The S1 is considerably faster in the zoom range than your S300, which should help a little. I don't know of anything that fits your criteria better than the S1, but don't expect miracles.

The Panasonic FZ10 might as well. They're essentially the same camera (forthis application)with a few differences. The FZ10 has a 12X zoom, no AF assist, takes SD cards, and has 4 MP. The lens on the FZ10 is, AFAIK, better than the Canon.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote