Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:31 AM   #1

Please Help me Which one is the best one and why,pls list them choronologicaly by giving reasons.

First of all ı want to buy Canon PowerShot 1S IS,and ı read some bad reviewson it.they said its autofocus in lowlight is not good,and image quality is troubling.And CF card gives sometimes error.

And actually ı want to get concert pictures,so ı want 10x zoom

And there two camera advised to me..
Panasonic DMC-FZ10,Olypmus Camedia 765....

pls help me,if ı dont want to buy these 3 camera,I'll buy Canon G5,is it a correct choice?

Which camera do you advise me.

bisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Administrator

What kind of concert pictures (daylight, or inside)?

It is doubtful to me that you'd get very many useable concert pictures with any of the "super zoom" models indoors. This is because their smaller sensors will have a lot of noise (similar to film grain), as ISO speeds are increased.

Higher ISO speeds are needed to get faster shutter speeds in low light. Otherwise, you'll get lots of motion blur. Although stabilized lenses and anti-shake found in some models can help you with camera shake at slower shutter speeds, they won't help blur from subject movement.

For this type of shooting, a DSLR model is recommended. Their dramatically larger sensors will have lower noise as ISO speeds are increased. You'd also need a bright lens to go with them (larger apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers). However, a bright lenswith longer focal lengths, can cost more than the DSLR itself. These lenses will also be much larger and heavier than lenses on non-DSLR models.

You may be able to get by with something like a Sony DSC-F717. It's 2/3" 5MP CCD will have lower noise than the "super zoom" models. It's lens is alsomuch brighter than most (f/2.0 at wide angle, only dropping off to f/2.4 at full zoom). Note that f/2.0 is twice as bright as f/2.8 ). Although, you may still need to use noise reduction software for acceptable results -- depending on the viewing and print sizes needed (noise and motion blur will be less noticeableat smaller viewing sizes)

Now, I have seen some useable photos from the Minolta DiMAGE A1 at indoor concerts, provided you don't need to view them at larger sizes (even though the Sony's lens is around twice as bright). The anti-shake technology probably helped. If you look at the DiMAGE A1 review's "sample photos" section here at this site, they have a couple of ISO 200 shots at concerts, too that look great. Although, I don't know how many shots it took to get these two "keepers".:-)

Also, the lighting conditions can vary a lot between different concerts. So, what works fine at one, may not work fine at another.

One A1 user posted some concert samples shot at ISO 800 on another forum a while back -- that he had run through a free product called Noiseware ( http://www.imagenomic.com ), that weren't too bad once downsized for web viewing. His shutter speeds were about the same at ISO 800, as Steve got at ISO 200. So, the light was nowhere near as good. Light is a digital cameras best friend.

As far as the Canon G5, it will have a relatively bright lens compared to most compact models. Although it will suffer from high noise at higher ISO speeds, too.

If you can get "close to the action", then you may want to look at the older 4MP Canon G3. It's less dense 4MP 1/1.8" Sensorshould have lower noise, compared to the 5MP 1/1.8" Sensor used in the G5. It should also be much better from a noise perspectivecompared to the"Super Zoom" models using smaller 4MP 1/2.5" CCD sensors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:42 AM   #3

while saying concert pictures,ı mean u know when u go to concert lighting changes frequently,and so it becomes very hard to get the nice pic.

let's look at these pictures.ı got them from my hp camera (it is 150 dolar) and ı used digital zoom.

http://ogundemir.noyahost.com/1.jpg

http://ogundemir.noyahost.com/2.jpg

http://ogundemir.noyahost.com/3.jpg

http://ogundemir.noyahost.com/4.jpg

these picture are not satisfying.

2 weeks ago,ı went to concert,and from 80m distance one singer's photagrapher takings singer's picture.and his camera is 1S IS.

If ı change my opinion,which camera u advise me to get exact picture,without less noisy,or which camera u show me to select.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:57 AM   #4
Administrator

Actually, I think your photos look fine. Judging from a small amount of redeye in one of the performers in back; and what appears to be flash reflections in another, it looks to me like flash was used. So, if you're close enough for flash, most cameras would produce acceptable results. Also, with some lower resolution models, noise is not as bad.

Note thatthe flash range of most models is only around 12-14 feet (sometimes a little more when the camera is boosting ISO speed). So, this can be a big limiting factor. You'll see these ranges in a camera's specifications (usually rated at both wide angle, and at full zoom).

As far as Digital Zoom, using it will degrade photo quality rapidly. This is because it is simply cutting out the middle portion of the image, to make it look like you used more Optical Zoom -- then, enlarging it again (adding pixels that were not captured by the camera's sensor).

Again, lighting conditions may be better at some venues versus others. So, this will impact which cameras will work best.

Autofocus Speed and reliability can be a big factor in lower light, too. I don't know what HP model you used, but may have a "fixed focus" if there is not optical zoom (so it may not have the focus problems you'd have with a model using Autofocus). Depending on lighting, use of manual focus (or fixed focus choices for models that have them), may be needed.

One thing that can help get more good photos, is simply to take more photos. Most newer models have some type of "continuous" or "burst" mode. These modes are designed to capture a lot of photos in rapid succession. So, the more photos you take, the more "keepers" you'll have.

Personally, I'd avoid the "super zoom" models for indoor concerts, and try one of the models I suggested in my previous post instead.

I would suggest buying whatever model you choose, from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy. That way, if it does not perform up to your expectations, you can always return it for a refund.

Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:28 PM   #5

ı used HP Photosmart 435,actually these pictures captured about 3 or 4 meter distance ,and ı got these solutions.

u said "with some lower resolution models, noise is not as bad." and that's why u advised me G3 to G5...thanxxx for ur advises see u later....

but ı can not still which camera should ı buy....

if u were me,which one u buy?

ı want both nice quality in indoor picture and high zoom or not high littel but effective zoom

Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Administrator

You'll need to make the decision. I'd read the reviews carefully, paying particular attention to the review conclusion sections.

You may also want to use a resource like the camera database at pbase (a popular photo sharing web site). You can see user albums from most camera models at this link:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

I'd try to find photos taken in the same conditions you'll be using a camera in. Keep in mind, that the photographer's skill, and the lighting conditions, have more impact on the quality of the images that you'll see, compared to anything else. Also, many users may only post their best images (sodon't assume that all of them will be just as good).

Also, even though it's a good idea to get opinions on a forum, most are going to be biased (including mine). So, in the end, you'll need to decide for yourself what works best for you.

I'd recommend "test driving" the models in a store, too. This will give you a better idea of how they compare from a performance perspective -- as well as how well the viewfinders work. If they'll let you test them in a room with lower light, so much the better.

Finally, as I mentioned before, I'd make sure to buy from a vendor with a liberal return policy -- just in case the model you choose doesn't meet your needs -- despite your best efforts to find a good match.

Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:58 PM   #7

JimC ı wish ı had a chance to compare all my wished camera.but ı can not.i live in turkey/antalya,in antalya actually ı dont know any taste-driving store there,so ı started to search good pictures of 1S and ı see it really takes nice pictures.but ı sow also every camera took nice pics.so ı researched the bad sides of cameras.and ı am disapointed with 1S.ı can not change my camera whenı dont like it because my sister buy it from london and ı have to select the best one.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"it is very hard to select a camera to a girl

in that site ı see the best pictures of the cam who wants to show the worst pic that they took...
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:01 AM   #8

I'm an Olympus C-700 user and as much as I love it, the new Panasonic DMC-20 with its image stabilization (IS), Leica lens, and (most importantly) a focus assist beam for indoor close lower light shooting.

Have to wait and see though if the extra features are worth the picture quality.

BTW, here's how focusing works on most digital cameras, and why a focus assist beam is an asset:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

As for the concert photos, you have to learn some basics about photography...using the 35mm focal length equivalent, to get a steady handheld shot, you need a shutter speed of 1/focal length...so at full zoom of 380mm you need at least 1/400th of a second shutter speed, but that's impossible to get in the low light of a concert; can't say if an IS camera can compensate for that.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:20 AM   #9

thanks for all comments and now if it is so,which camera can give me the best result.

1S,A80,G5 actually indoor