Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:24 PM   #1

For my first trip to France and Italy next year, I've decided to buy my first digital camera. I'm a newbie to this so I'm not sure exactly how many mega pixels I'll need (probably about 3 for shots that are mostly5x7 inches) and I'm not particularlyleaning towardsgetting ultra-compact cameras like canon's elph series (only because I've heard they have a weak flash). Anything that's the size of an average 35mm camera would be good.

I don't really care about super fancy features or anything. Just enough to make some adjustments. The main reasons I want a digital camera is to preview a picture and delete (so LCD screen of at least 1'5), not use film (memory card size doesn't matter right now, I' can just buy one separatly)...etc. just the basic average reasons someone would switch to a digital.

Some features I specifically want include

- a start-up time of less thenabout...3.5 seconds and as low shutterlag as possible

- good low-light capabilites so I can get good detailed shots inside buildings (of the building and statues, etc)

- in addition to good low-light capabilities, I'd like a camera that produces crisp outdoor shots

- 3X zoom

- a camera that can use rechargable AA batteries. I'd prefer a camera that uses onlyAA 2 batteries, but 4 is ok if features are good (like..the canon powershot a75, one of the cameras I'm considering).

- compact flash card is preferable over a memory stick

- $500 less canadian if possible please

I hope that's not too much to ask for a camera and that there are a lot of possibilities, so please help!

(btw--> going back to the top...do I need 3 or 4 megapixel? I'm mostly printing the pics out not putting them up on the internet)

thanks

Sable

Sabrieyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:31 PM   #2

OK, two cameras to think- Sony dSCW1 or Canon A80. Also go to http://www.pbase.com/camerasand see test shots from all cameras....

Also read steve's reviews and his Best Camera Listing..

He seems to think that Canon is the way to go....

If youwant a big camera, go with Sony dscF828 - pro model...

Or look at a nikin5200. Can not go wrong with either one.... The Sony has a BIG, 2.5" screen, makes it much easier to see, and also Sony has a slave flash attachable to the W1 camera and you can see great shots with it... Also Sony makes auxiliary lenses for it as well. The W12 has a ZEISS lens , which is the BEST one !!!

Let us know what you get and your results !!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:03 PM   #3

Thanks, I appreciate your post.

The Sony DSC-W1 camera sounds really good. The sample pictures at that site were also pretty good and I like the size of the LCD. I justread some reveiws on it and it's pretty high on my list. I'm not sure if I'll need 5.1 mps. I just started researching sony cameras and I might also go with Sony Cybershot DSC-P73 4.1MP.

The Canon powershot A80 is a camera that fits most of my needs and the camera I'm most close to getting at the moment.

There's still like half year before my trip, enough time for prices to drop and more research and time to go to stores to try stuff out.

Sabrieyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:39 PM   #4

OH, WELL, i did same thing as you suggest years ago, and the more cameras i tried the more confusing it became... After all, go with the big known names adn you will not be wrong.... as time goes on, you will miss the megapixels and the features, so get a good camera right away..... the A80 Canon is a bulkie than the sony dscW1.. Canon also has the new S60, 3.6x zoom, but LCD is only 1.8 inch, usable 1.6...

my advise, since i live in Italy and you will go there, is , if you intend to take pics in a castle, or church or any indoors, go with the W1, it can take an external flash and a teleconverter lens and make super shots ! and if you take a shot at 5megaix you can enlarge it a lot and crop it in a pc wihout loosing too much detail....

i tried the canons60 and the A80, and they are both good, but the 2.5 inch LCD on a Sony is fantastic !!! and the pictures are 100% super
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:57 PM   #5
Administrator

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
my advise, since i live in Italy and you will go there, is , if you intend to take pics in a castle, or church or any indoors, go with the W1, it can take an external flash and a teleconverter lens and make super shots ! and if you take a shot at 5megaix you can enlarge it a lot and crop it in a pc wihout loosing too much detail....
I won't argue about the flash part (although the external flash for the W1 seems to be a slave flash, versus a true external flash controlled by the camera).

However, as far as cropping, you can't crop as much as you think.

Because resolution is computed by multiplying width x height, if you crop a photo to make it look like you used twice as muchoptical zoom, you'd endup witha photo that's only 1/4 the original resolution. So, depending the print sizes needed, you have to be careful when cropping.

As for 4 Megapixels verus 5 Megapixels, there is not as much difference as most users think (again, because resolution is computed bymultiplying width x height). It takes 4 times the resolution, to get twice the subject detail in pixels representing the subject.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:47 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It takes 4 times the resolution, to get twice the subject detail in pixels representing the subject.

I don't understand your reasoning. If there is twice the resolution every part of the image has twice the resolution.

If you make two prints of the same size from a 4Mp and 8Mp camera, the print from the 8Mp camera has twice the density in pixels/sq in.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote