Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2004, 7:36 AM   #21
NHL

JosstheBoss wrote:
Quote:
But any answer to my question from above would be a help! I`m still not sure if I should get 2 cams (the D70 and a small p&s cam) or instead get only one 8mp (like the C8080 or another).
All you have to do is ask yourself this question: Are you going to be shooting pictures at high ISO? (... and not because this is digital I want to abuse high ISO)

You already know what you want: "on the other hand I don`t want to carry around that much stuff" -> unless you get the C-8080 which has a limited zoom, a dSLR over the 8Mpixels cameras means couple of lenses (+ macro) at least, and the extra heft! :-)

As to noise in low-light, check this out: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/p_disney
... and this was from a super noisy camera too: the D7 was pretty smart, it took two pictures: one normal, and one with the shutter close and then it subtracts out the noise from the darkframe -> no need for Neat image!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 9:00 AM   #22

I think what I will do it like this:

Order both D70 (body only) and the C8080 at amazon. Make a few shots under different conditions (light, dark, outdoors, indoors etc) and then see what fits my needs best. THen I will send one or both back.
If I take the D70 I will probably get another small p&s cam such as the Nikon 5200 or the Ixus 500. I think I will go with the Nikon there (had both for a few days, found the Nikon to be the better cam over the Canon.

What you think of that?

Tobias
JosstheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 10:08 AM   #23

Ok,

I have both cameras now.
THe D70 with my 30-70 F2,8 lens, and the C8080WZ.
First, I like both in there easy way to setup and to do quick adjustments such as WB, ISO etc. The C8080 is a bit more intuitive in these things, with the D70 you first have to figure out how it all works, but then it`s fairly easy as well.

The D70 is an superb cam, very sharp, very responsiv and takes really great pics. The D70 is very fast, even when using RAW and bulb. The C8080 took quite some time taken 2 pics when using bulb.THe C8080 is behind in richness of color, and with it`s bulb. The C8080 has a tendency to be darker than the D70.
Of Course the C8080 is smaller and lighter, and has Movie and Stich feature, but if I take the D70 I probably will get a small all day cam like the A85 or A90 (if its coming) or Ixus 500, something in that dirction.
So far I can say both are great cams, but when I look at the zoomed (100%) pics of both on your PC you will find the D70 a lot sharper (as I said).
I will play with both in the next couple of days, and will decide on the weekend which to buy.

Regards

Tobias

Regards
JosstheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:12 AM   #24

Hi Tobias,

I'm very curious to your findings. If it wouldn't bother you to much I would appreciate some sample pictures. Personally I'm torn between the EOS 300D of Canon and the C8080. Presently I own a C2040 which serves me nicely, but has a very limited 2.1 M. Since I like the lens very much, I tend to lean towards the C8080... Hope to read from you after the weekend! Good luck with shooting till then.

bergj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:11 AM   #25

I didn't read all the replies, but I get the gist of your requirements. I have a F90X, and have since bought two digital cameras for different uses.

First, I have the Olympus 5060 for holiday and everyday use. It's F2.8 lens is great, and I bought it because effectively it is a 27/110mm lens which is great for most every day occurrences. In aperture mode the portraiture is pretty good I have to say that I have had no problems with the camera, and after over 2,000 shots would highly recommend it. I particularly like that the screen can turn against the bodyto protect itself. Recently I had a friend staying who has the 8080. A better camera, with 140mm at the long end, but it is bulky, perhaps too bulky for everyday use.

Secondly I have the D70, which is another world completely. A true SLR with no shutter delay and easy to use. With it I have the 17/55 F2.8 and the 70/200 VRIFED F2.8 Nikkors. I tried using the D70 with the existing lenses, since I have the old 24/120 and the 80/200 F2.8, but the problem with the former is that there is no wide angle, being 36mm at the shortest length, but apart from that it is a great combination. The 70/200 is streets ahead of the 80/200, especially for wildlife or sport, because of the VR feature. It makes a good photographer out of anyone!

Maybe I missed some of the replies and have duplicated their answers, but I hope this helps.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:53 PM   #26

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
First, I have the Olympus 5060 for holiday and everyday use. .

Secondly I have the D70, which is another world completely.
So, you're going on holiday for 3 weeks to Australia to visit cities, the coast, go sailing on the Whitsundays (should be calm) and visit the rainforest. You are going with a girlfriend who likes you to take great shots to go on the wall at home but is not very patient when it comes to actually getting the shots in the first place.

Which do you take? the Olympus or the D70 and both lenses?
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:36 PM   #27

From the look of your requirements, you should also consider a waterproof housing, and Olympus do make that for the 5060, so it can double as an underwater camera too, where it also excels.There would nowadays be no question as to which I would take - the 5060. The Nikon D70is too bulky, and most holiday shots require wide angle not a big zoom. The quality of the pictures I get from this camera are superb, whether I use programme mode or, mostly, aperture priority. I would choose the Olympus 5060 over the 8080 for size, and over the Nikon equivalent prosumer with wide anglebecause of the poor electronic viewfinder on the Nikon.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:51 AM   #28

JosstheBoss wrote:
Quote:
I will play with both in the next couple of days, and will decide on the weekend which to buy.

Regards

Tobias
Hey, Tobias!! How did you get on? Have you made your decision? Would love to know.

Cheers
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote