Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Hello all! I am in the Air Force and I would like a camera that would take some good photos for my family and have a good camera to take home when I go on leave to get pictures my family and friends. I really like Sony's but have read some bad things about them. I was thinking about that new P73 because it looks great and seems to have some great features which a high megapixel, and still in my price range. I really don't want to spend more than $275 on one because I really can't afford it with Christmas rolling around but I want a camera before Christmas to take home with me. What are some good cameras that compare with the P73 that are still in my price range? Unless some people on here have the P73 and would like to tell me some great things about it maybe I will stick to that. I really appreciate your help becuase thiswill bemy first digital camera. Thank you

Jared
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:44 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Help me please
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:00 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6
Default

Hi Jared,

Let me preface this message by saying I am not a camera pro by any sense of the term. However, I have been shopping around for my first digital camera for about a month or so now and have talked to a lot of people, read hundreds of reviews, and have been to many camera stores in the Phoenix, AZ area. I was looking for a camera similar towhat you have mentioned. I can't tell you much about the Sony you mentioned, primarily becauseI never looked very much into that model. That translates to mean not one of the MANY people I spoke with recommended that modelasone of the better cameras in that range. Don't get me wrong it may be a good camera. However it was never recommended to me.

After all me research I narrowed my list down to 2 cameras. The Olympus D-580 Zoom and the Canon A75. Of the two the Canon A75 seems to be much more versatile and hasmore features. Alsothe memorycards for the Canon can be found much cheaper if you shop around the web. The biggest advantage I found in the Olympus was that it was a 4 mega pixel for only 5 dollars more ($205)that the 3.2 mega pixel Canon A75 ($200). If you really want a 4 mega pixel the Canon A80 is the 4 mega pixel version which you can find for around $300.

I ultimately bought the Canon A75 and am very pleased with my decision. The difference between the 3.2 and 4 mega pixel wasn't big enough to sway me as you really can't see much difference until you getlarger than an 8x10 picture.

I hope this helped a little.

Good Luck and thank you for your service. Please be safe and may God bless and be with you.


Rossislider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DrDictionary1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 194
Default

At my local Best Buy, at which I work in the digital imaging department, we sell the A80 for $247.99. It is incredibly popular, so start looking.

Also, I have the camera and I love it. Definately, you must consider it.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Rossislider wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jared,

Let me preface this message by saying I am not a camera pro by any sense of the term. However, I have been shopping around for my first digital camera for about a month or so now and have talked to a lot of people, read hundreds of reviews, and have been to many camera stores in the Phoenix, AZ area. I was looking for a camera similar towhat you have mentioned. I can't tell you much about the Sony you mentioned, primarily becauseI never looked very much into that model. That translates to mean not one of the MANY people I spoke with recommended that modelasone of the better cameras in that range. Don't get me wrong it may be a good camera. However it was never recommended to me.

After all me research I narrowed my list down to 2 cameras. The Olympus D-580 Zoom and the Canon A75. Of the two the Canon A75 seems to be much more versatile and hasmore features. Alsothe memorycards for the Canon can be found much cheaper if you shop around the web. The biggest advantage I found in the Olympus was that it was a 4 mega pixel for only 5 dollars more ($205)that the 3.2 mega pixel Canon A75 ($200). If you really want a 4 mega pixel the Canon A80 is the 4 mega pixel version which you can find for around $300.

I ultimately bought the Canon A75 and am very pleased with my decision. The difference between the 3.2 and 4 mega pixel wasn't big enough to sway me as you really can't see much difference until you getlarger than an 8x10 picture.

I hope this helped a little.

Good Luck and thank you for your service. Please be safe and may God bless and be with you.

Thank you for your input. I really love how the Sony looks and all that is why I am so biased towards it lol. Those Canon's seem to be ugly to me and not fit very well in your hand or maybe I am just totally wrong hehe. Very hard to make a decision without trying them out but I will have to make a decision some day heh. Really 3.2MP is good enough for me because I never print images that large, nor do I really ever print images to begin with. Either way I would never print larger than 8x10 because I am not buying a printer that can print that big hehe. I guess once I get a camera I will buy the photo paper and print stuff but never that large. Well thanks for the input again and I will let you guys know what I end up with. Your welcome for my service to the best country in the world, it is the least I could do. Thank you for your blessings and may God be with you all when you go to vote, because Bush in my opinion is doing a magnificant job. We won't get into politics though because this is a camera site hehe. Thank you again!

Jared
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:21 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Default

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
At my local Best Buy, at which I work in the digital imaging department, we sell the A80 for $247.99. It is incredibly popular, so start looking.

Also, I have the camera and I love it. Definately, you must consider it.
So how are the Sony's do you know?

Thanks

Jared
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:55 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Default

hey, Im a newbie myself and thanks to Steves reviews I chose the Canon a310 for my starter point and shoot camera. But my two brothers and my sister ALL have the Sony P-72 3.2 mp modeland they love it. From what i can tell I like it alot myself but out of my price range for now.

I was actually looking at the Sony P-42 and P-32 but I figure Id save myself some money and get the Canon for a starter. Nice camera just no optical zoom but good for quickies and stuff.

Overall, from what I can see and tellthe Sony's are a really good , smooth camera, they have the 'video out' option so you can directly hook it up to your tv or vcr.
gordy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 9
Default

Hey there Jared. I have a Sony 717 which I absolutely love. It's big though. My wife and kids are intimidated by it. I bought them a Canon A75. It's a sweetheart of a camera. It uses AA batteries which I can get anywhere, and they last a long time. I almost bought the A80 ( 4 megapixel) but I didn't need the extra resolution for the extra $$$. Now its down to 250. You might ask in the sony forum over at dpreview. Lot's of people seem to get bad sony's in the newer models and nobody likes sony tech support. Get yourself a large flash card and your good to go. I absolutely can recommend the canon for the price!
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14
Default

Kujo wrote:
Quote:
Hey there Jared. I have a Sony 717 which I absolutely love. It's big though. My wife and kids are intimidated by it. I bought them a Canon A75. It's a sweetheart of a camera. It uses AA batteries which I can get anywhere, and they last a long time. I almost bought the A80 ( 4 megapixel) but I didn't need the extra resolution for the extra $$$. Now its down to 250. You might ask in the sony forum over at dpreview. Lot's of people seem to get bad sony's in the newer models and nobody likes sony tech support. Get yourself a large flash card and your good to go. I absolutely can recommend the canon for the price!
I really hate how the canon's and nikon's look though lol. Look like a metal box or something. Doesn't seem to fit in my hand right either. Hmmm...I will have to go to best buy or something and check them all out. Thanks for your input!

Jared
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 2:04 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Default

I am faced with the "Which camera to get dilemma?"
It is for my wife = point and shoot, to record her last few years as a flight attendant, size = purse or pocket, Price range = <$500,
VicJT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:06 AM.