Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:59 AM   #1

I've reviewed all the 10x-12x optical zooms that I'm aware of but none have the three main features I want. Image stabilization, large LCD (1.8" or better), and 30 FPS movie mode! Is there anything I've missed? I like the Canon S1 IS but the LCD is too small for me, also the Oly C-770 UZ but no IS, and the new Dimage Z3 but small LCD. Yet none have all of these features. The new Kodak DX 7590 looked promising but the movie mode is only 12 fps! Anything new coming out that may have all of these features? thanks in advance for your inputs.

Pete:?
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:39 AM   #2

Hi,

You should definitely look for something with a sensible IS. Therefore to your list I would add the Lumix/ Panasonic FZ series (e.g. 3, 10, 15, 20). One of the advantages is constant 2.8 light across 35 -420 mm zooming and a really good IS.

There is a whole section of Panasonic users in the forums - there you can read about user opinions on FZ-10. I have one of these and I am very happy with it. In general I think mopjority of posts boil down to: great zoom, good macro, great colors, noise under control and features that if you want will enable you to do some serious photos. Some people complain about a dim EVF in low light conditions - it is a feature that some see as a problem some as a good thing. Do your reading then and if possible do some sample shots in the shop and take them to be developed somewhere.

Have a good time reading and trying - I find it the most fun when buying anything.
luka_glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. However, the Panasonics don't have a decent movie mode of 640X480, 30 FPS. I know this may not be important to some but it is to me.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:26 AM   #4

Sad but true... - you're right!

Good luck with the search
luka_glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:45 AM   #5

Z3 Z3 Z3
Calavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:15 AM   #6

The Z3 is on my list but the LCD is a little small. It is a possibility though. I'm hoping Steve will do a review soon on this camera....thanks
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:53 PM   #7

Sounds like the new Fuji Finepix S5100 might be worth a look as well. Fuji has fixed most of the complaints with the S5000 and added a 4MP imaging sensor. This camera has a 640X480, 30fps movie mode and some interesting shooting features as well as an EVF that doesn't blank in burst mode.

May not be much help, adding another camera to the mix!

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:11 PM   #8

Definitely takea serious look at the Panasonic FZ-20. Brilliant camera.

Benji
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote