Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2004, 2:37 AM   #1

I would like to get a 10x and wonder which of these two cameras (PowerShot S1 IS or CAMEDIA C-770 Ultra Zoom) is better when taking at 10x? I will be using this mainly for taking pictures of my kids at their performance or sporting events. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
sftekgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:02 AM   #2

i dunno about these to cameras specifically, but I do have a suggestion to consider. You might want to check out the Kyocera M410R, it is also a very nice 10x
HashCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 8:21 AM   #3

The canon would be better because of its image stabilization at 10X. I do like them both and I'm having the same trouble deciding which to buy. My list also includes the new dimage Z3 which has a 12X zoom but hasn't been reviewed yet. There's also a new Fuji S5100 and Kodak 7590 you may want to look at. I thought it would be a good idea to assign a point system to the specifications that are most important to me, ie. 3 or 4 mp, movie mode, LCD size, IS, etc., however all three of my choices came within just a few points of each other. So I'm back at square one again.
Pete
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 10:48 AM   #4

Stabilization doesn't help for subject motion like in sports. But it helps quite a bit taking images at 10X where subject movement isn't a problem. It is also nice for movies.

The S1 is f3.1 at 10X and the 770 is f3.7. That means the Canon is letting in about half again as much light, which gives better shutter speeds. The Kyocera 410R is also f3.1 at 10X and a better choice for sports than the Oly 770 IMO. The 410R also has better movies than the Oly and a nicer viewfinder than any of them. It also uses the more mainstream SD memory than the pricey and dead-end xD. The 3.3 frame per second burst mode on the 410R helps get just the right shot in sports.

I would personally get the S1 over any of them because I've come to appreciate stabilization. But I don't shoot sports. For a 4Mp without stabilization I would much prefer the 410R for sports – and for just about everything else. The new Z3 is going to be around f4.5 at full zoom, which isn't fast enough for sports except in full sunlight.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 5:41 PM   #5

why does the 410 have better movies? Does the specs indicate that?
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:25 PM   #6

Also take a look at the Panasonic FZ1, FZ2, FZ3, FZ15, FZ10, and FZ20. They all use the phenominal Leica 12x STABILIZED zoom lens that is full 2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. Wonderful peice of glass that Leica lens.
JinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 6:24 AM   #7

Hi I have used the S1 to take a lot of photos of my kids sports and have had excellant results.As with shooting sports with any camera shoot lots of frames as success rate is lower than normal "static" photoghraphy.With a fast card you can shoot long bursts of shots .Only nit picking comment about Oly770 is that 1000th sec shutter speed is a little low but adequate for majority of users I suspect.
I have seen some quite good concert photos(no flash and professional stage lighting)posted on another forum that really show advantage of IS.
Brendon

Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:47 AM   #8

sftekgrl wrote:
Quote:
I would like to get a 10x and wonder which of these two cameras (PowerShot S1 IS or CAMEDIA C-770 Ultra Zoom) is better when taking at 10x? I will be using this mainly for taking pictures of my kids at their performance or sporting events. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Go for "Canon S1 IS"!

Image Stabilizer, Great Video (30fps) and the memory is a CF so you can buy a 4gb memory capacity.
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote