Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

After doing some research I noticed that the Kodak DX6490's 4MP files are actually smaller than the S5000's 3MP files so what does that do to the Kodak's image quality? Both cameras seem to suffer from runaway compression. How bad is it really?

I have used an HP945 which has excellent image quality but the worst EVF ever (lag, jumpy, only good point is that it is visible in low light) and after that experience I know that a good EVF is one of my biggest priorities. The Canon S1 IS is far more expensive here (especially since I can get a refurbished Fuji for nearly $150 less, complete with a fuji 1 year warranty).

I know that both of these cameras are about to be updated/replaced with the DX7590 and the S5100, but I am interested in the current models and how they perform in action such as sports, low light such as dimly lit interiors, flash performance and general handling. Also any "real world" comments on their image quality.

Help me decide.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:23 PM   #2

well , Some Expert guy told me that Minolta Z2 is Much BETTER that those cameras

and Z3 on the way

sorry for any mistakes
Net Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 7:49 AM   #3

OK to be honest I am sure the Konica/Minolta Z2 is a fantastic camera and probably offers performance well beyond the cameras I have listed,however the exterior design looks like it was done at the prop department for the original Star Trek series. The backwards jet engine design is just too wierd for me.

I know that that may sound rather shallow but I think there is a difference between innovative design and "styling".Cameras like the Sony 707, 717 and 828 are innovative because the design is functional, the old swivel Nikons like the 995 also meet that criteria however the Z series Minoltas seem to be styled, offering some internal innovation, such as the viewfinder system, but a somewhat odd exterior style.

BTW I am a Minolta user (35mm Maxxum system with two camera bodies and 5 lenses plus accessories) and I am very impressed with the design of other Minolta Dimage models, but the one model range I could really afford with the performance I want ends up looking like a ray gun from a 50's sci-fi movie.

Ira

Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:25 AM   #4

Hello! I have a Fuji S5000 and the quality of the digicam is great! The interpolated 6mp is like a real 6mp CCD and also when I'm using it,other peoplethought is a DSLR!

This may help you decide.
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:12 PM   #5

judell74 wrote:
Quote:
Hello! I have a Fuji S5000 and the quality of the digicam is great! The interpolated 6mp is like a real 6mp CCD and also when I'm using it,other peoplethought is a DSLR!

See ? That's what my friend call it "Very Horrible" So Z2 is AMAZING :-)
Net Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:21 AM   #6

Net Sailor wrote:
Quote:
judell74 wrote:
Quote:

See ? That's what my friend call it "Very Horrible" So Z2 is AMAZING :-)
For you S5000 is horrible but for me its a great digicam! The look of the Z2 is like the head of a robot in Star Wars movie!!!

I guess its depens in the eye of the beholder and also it depends on what features you like!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 12:50 PM   #7

Hold the phone, I just saw the K/M Z3 and the Z10, I think I may chnage direction. The Z10 is a new 3.2MP model which is missing some of the features of the Z1 but has all of the important ones, and it is only $399Cdn. The look is a little less Star Wars. There is also a more expensive Z3 which looks like a real winner anti-shake, 12X zoom and 4MP.

Thanks for making me look at Minolta again.

Ira
Old Aug 17, 2004, 9:03 AM   #8

Z10 at $399?

Check these pricess...

http://www.shopharmony.com/product.asp?i=MINDIMZ10

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...039&is=REG