Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:59 AM   #11

also a thing im looking for is the speed of photo saving, so when i take a photo.how long does it take to store? which are the best cams for this?
thanks
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 3:30 PM   #12

You might want to look at the 'shot to shot' timing or equivalent. That is the time it takes after taking on picture before you can take the next one. Also, think about how many you want to take in a row rapidly. Some cameras will buffer X shots internally before they have to wait for the memory card to accept them. For example the 945 is rather slow because it does a lot of internal processing of the image before storing it (e.g., 'digital flash') Also, if you choose a TIFF format, things can get slow because of the massive size of image. However, it (or raw) means you won't have any compression artifacts.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 3:36 PM   #13

thanks for that info! ill look at that, when im looking at which camera
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:18 AM   #14

Just to wade in: the Canon s1, Minolta z3and Panasonic fz10/20 all have image stabilisation. This feature makes the most of their 10/12x lenses. Without it, you'll pretty much need a tripod in order to use 10x magnification - or else pump up the ASA to the point where noise becomes an issue. I really can't see a convincing case for anyone buying a big zoom camera without it.
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 6:01 PM   #15

does this also mean that for sporting shots such as tennis, fast movements will be captured well?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 7:25 PM   #16

Sorry to confuse you a little bit more...

The Kyocera M410R has extremely fast shutter response - 0.7secs lag from when you press the button and taking a picture - the power up/boot time is also very quick indeed.

The camera is capable of writing to memory at a very high speed (3.3 pictures a second in continuous shoot mode) until memory card fullwhen a higher speed memory is used (ie, those cards that are capable of being written to at 9-10MB/sec). It has 4 megapixels effective res, a good movie function that records upto 640x480 at 30fps with sound and will record until memory card is full. The shoot-to-shoot lag is neglible. The LCD is a bit small at 1.5" but it is very bright and is veryusable even in sunlight and the electronic viewfinder is reportedly amongst the best in its class and doesn't suffer from auto-focus freeze like some cameras do.

The camera also has a 10x opitical zoom with a fast motor - it doesn't take an age to zoom to maximum. Unfortunately it doesn't have stabilisation but I found that for te most part I don't really need this feature whenzoomingbut everyone's needs are different.

Obviously I'm slightly biased as I have this camera and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

stez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 2:25 AM   #17

JoeB_UK wrote:
Quote:
does this also mean that for sporting shots such as tennis, fast movements will be captured well?

Image stabilization means that the camera compensates for unintentional wobble of the camera, not that it compensates for fast movement of the subject. With respect to the latter, what is relevant is fast autofocus, fast response time, and a good 'burst mode' which means that the camera can take pictures one after the other quickly. You might also need to consider whether the camera produces acceptable quality at high sensitivities (ISO/ASA 400 equivalent - many digicams have a great deal of noise/grain at this level). Shooting at high sensitivity means you can use a faster shutter speed and 'freeze' motion. Also, look for the fastest shutter speed the camera provides (1/1000 second is usually good for action, but some situations may demand 1/2000 or 1/4000).
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:08 AM   #18

I still think the FZ20 would be the way to go.

:homey:
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:30 AM   #19

yeah im waiting for some reviews and for a price drop then ill prob buy the fz20
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:42 AM   #20
TC3

Kyocera M410R.....great lil camera
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote