Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2004, 2:21 PM   #91

Thanks for your response
I am deeply disoppointed with the sony clips. They are soo jumpy and not smooth at all!!
The ones i saw from the canon SD300 were superb especially at 60fps but alas they dont seem to be getting good reviews from the still side of things and i really wanted an excellant camera foremost. the sony V3 seems to fit the bill (small but not too big). I have not found any reviews and if they do them they always seem to miss out the video side of things as i suppose these types of cameras are more targetted at the prosumer crowd.

So.. if anyone has a sony V3 could you please tell me what the video is like.
Ps I dont really feel like waiting for the next round og giicams to come out
msajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:57 PM   #92

Found another camera that had been missed! The Pentax 43WR (4.0MP, 37-104mm, 208g, $268-349, .MOV format) is a water resistant camera that can be submerged up to 3ft (1meter) of water for 30 minutes.

Please - are there anymore cameras I am missing?
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 4:36 PM   #93

the new Samsung Digimax's A6 and V70 have 30 fps movie modes @ 640 X 480.

I'd love to narrow down my choices to digicams with zoom while record capability, as opposed to zoom BEFORE record as in the Canon SD200/SD300. The Canon

PowerShot S1 seems to be one of the few out there with this. I don't know if

the new Samsungs can do this or not.

Someone reported that the Sanyo/Fisher FVD-C1 is "new" but it's been around

a long time and was reported to have pretty poor MPEG4.
schoenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:53 PM   #94

Great work so far, Beverly W! I have been following the thread for quite a while but this is my first time writing on this board. I too am interested in a camera with good video capabilities.

It would be good if you (or someone else) could make a summarazing table about video formats. How much space each formats occupies (say for 1 second). of course I mean format 640x480 30fps. Does it differs from one camera model to another even if they use the same codec e.t.c.
It seems that concerning memory stick format there has to be special "memory stick pro" format to sutain data flow and that comes with same big price tag as xD card.
What about CF ? What speed it should be to satisfy 640x480 30fps ?
kuklitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:25 PM   #95

kuklitis wrote:
Quote:
Great work so far, Beverly W! I have been following the thread for quite a while but this is my first time writing on this board. I too am interested in a camera with good video capabilities.

It would be good if you (or someone else) could make a summarazing table about video formats. How much space each formats occupies (say for 1 second). of course I mean format 640x480 30fps. Does it differs from one camera model to another even if they use the same codec e.t.c.
It seems that concerning memory stick format there has to be special "memory stick pro" format to sutain data flow and that comes with same big price tag as xD card.
What about CF ? What speed it should be to satisfy 640x480 30fps ?
As with pictures, the more compression a camera gives a movie the less space it will take, but also the lower the quality will be. So different cameras will use different amount of memory to record a movie, even within the same format. I have moved on to other projects, so I will not spend the time to create a chart like you recommended. In an earlier reply however, I did break the cameras down by what movie format they use (but I don't have the information on how much space each camera uses). I have noticed that SOME MPEG4 files are much smaller than other formats, but I have yet to see a high quality MPEG4 video (too many compression artifacts for my liking), but I haven't looked at every camera / camcorder out there.

My recommendation is to narrow down the cameras you are interested in (based on what is most important to you like picture quality, size, etc.) and then use the memory card / movie format / file size as one of the later considerations. Yes the xD and the memory stick pro currently costs more than the SD and CF memory cards and should be considered in with the cost of your overall purchase, but don't let it eliminate an otherwise ideal camera.

Each camera is different in its speed requirements, but a good rule of thumb is the faster the card the better (but also more expensive!). The camera I own requires a write speed of 10MB per second.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:44 PM   #96

schoenj wrote:
Quote:
the new Samsung Digimax's A6 and V70 have 30 fps movie modes @ 640 X 480.

I'd love to narrow down my choices to digicams with zoom while record capability, as opposed to zoom BEFORE record as in the Canon SD200/SD300.** The Canon

PowerShot S1 seems to be one of the few out there with this.* I don't know if

the new Samsungs can do this or not.

Someone reported that the Sanyo/Fisher FVD-C1 is "new" but it's been around

a long time and was reported to have pretty poor MPEG4.*
The Samsung V70 and A6 were added to the list on September 22 and 23rd. I don't know why it took them so long to get an "offical" announcement out.

The CAMERA that can zoom while doing video are the Canon S1, Kodak Easyshare-ONE, Minolta Z3, Minolta Z5, Sony M1 and Olympus C770 if external microphone attached and internal microphone turned off. Also the Olypus C7000 review says that the optical zoom is not available in movie mode, but that might mean that a digital zoom is available. Pretty much any camcorder will have zoom (including the Fisher C1).
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:48 PM   #97

It seems that the Oly C-7000 does not shoot unlimited after all, according to this thread from dpreview...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11007116

They say only 20 sec!

QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:05 AM   #98

In trying to find out if the new Rollei Prego dp5200 did its 640x480 video at 30 fps (no answer on that one yet), I found out that the Rollei dk4010 fit in this class. Orginally the websites said that the 640x480 mode was at 15fps, but now I am finding it listed at 15 or 30 for the 640x480 mode. Thus I have added the Rollei dk4010 to the "not available in the USA" list.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:48 AM   #99

QDravrah wrote:
Quote:
It seems that the Oly C-7000 does not shoot unlimited after all, according to this thread from dpreview...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11007116

They say only 20 sec!
You are right! Olympus does not really disclose this fact. I had to download their manual to find one small line that said that the highest quality movie mode was limited to 20 seconds. I don't trust a company that tries to hide something like this!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:01 AM   #100

I also have been looking into this and based on the limited mpeg4 clips I've seen I'm not THAT impressed. I am thinking I would be best recording in MJPeg and then convert to divx on my PC to get a better results. At least until better mpeg4 conversion is available. MPEG4 in cameras also seems to add quite a price premium.

Anyway my situation is I have spent an age looking into this myself and covered much of the ground on this excellent thread. I concluded looking at my own excel spreadsheet that the main important factors affecting mine and maybe your decision in order of importance were:-

megapixels
optical zoom
dimensions (manufacturers lie about this a lot though)
weight (inc batteries/card)
price
quality of movie (size, fps,)
movie length per 256mb of memory
memory type and cost of

The reason for this order is that at each stage you filter out cameras that are irrelevant before you actually even get to the movie quality. If you're on a budget, though say the Canon S1 might seem nice it's pointless if you don't want to spend that much money on it, or figure it's too big. For me also there was no point spending a fortune on a camera for its movie ability as when you start going above a certain price point you may as well by a proper mini-dv cam. For me I figured my best bet now is to find a cheap mjpeg camera using sd and stick 1gb in it. OK this may only give 15 mins of video but Cheggars can't be Boozers...

I WAS investigating the samsung 370/430 BUT having seen it in a shop I realised it's too big for what I'm looking for. This brings me onto a real problem I've noticed the size specs by the manufacturers are totally made up.

eg

nikon 3200 88x65x38,217 (1,000 cubic mm)
canon a75 101x64x32,206
samsung 370 108x56x32,195

However the truth is that the nikon which appears to be the largest camera IS actually about 2/3 the size of the others which dwarf it. It would seem what you actually need the manufacturers to publish the cubic volume of them.

I think I'll get a nikon 3200 (cheap and small) which only does 640x480 interlaced @ 15fps and maybe in a year or so upgrade. Right here right now the movie ability of cameras doesn't seem to have a good quality vs price ratio IMHO.

cheers

http://www.dtvrecord.com

dtvrecord.com is offline   Reply With Quote