Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:37 PM   #101

Video has been in the past an afterthought with these digicams. The Powershot S1

seems to be king in the category, allowing 10x zoom while recording. The other

640X480 30fps capable cameras cannot do this, other than the Fisher/Sanyo which

is a camcorder.

I am intrigued by the updated Sanyo C4. If they've improved the mpeg4 (was

reported by several people and on-line reviews to be pretty bad), and lowered

the price, then with 5.8x optical zoom and 4 Mpixel camera, very small, it will

have everything. Need some time to wait for the reviews to come in though,

and I guess in all probability the mpeg4 will be the same. (but I hope not)

-schoenj
schoenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 6:51 PM   #102

Here is another camera that should have been on my list from day one. The Sony P41 (33mm, 4.1 MP, 195 grams, 101x54x36mm, $159-200, MPEG VX). Had to take pictures for an offical function at my huband's university and I ran into someone using a camera I hadn't heard of before that fits in this category. Makes me wonder how many other cameras we may have missed. So keep your eyes and ears open!
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:50 PM   #103

msajid wrote:
Quote:
no Has yet compared how good the video quality is on some of the new cameras.
I am about to buy a new camera and was thinking about the sony P150. after some research i love the photo quality of it but have learned nothing about the video quality?

Can anyone comment or have one and perhaps post a video clip.
The P150 does pretty good video if you have a memorystick pro in the camera.
We haven't taken any video intentionally but a couple timesmy girlfriendhas put the mode dial on video by mistake and tried to snap a photo.
The video is smooth, the sound is good and the resolution is great.
Don't know about duration or anything else, but I was impressed by the "accidental" videos I keep finding in my folders.

I'm more and more impressed with my P150 everyday, I like it a LOT more than my previous Nikon Coolpix 5700

As far as blurry photos, I have maybe two or three out of a thousand shots, and they were definately my fault.
SteveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:19 AM   #104

SteveC wrote:
Quote:
msajid wrote:
Quote:
no Has yet compared how good the video quality is on some of the new cameras.
I am about to buy a new camera and was thinking about the sony P150. after some research i love the photo quality of it but have learned nothing about the video quality?

Can anyone comment or have one and perhaps post a video clip.
The P150 does pretty good video if you have a memorystick pro in the camera.
We haven't taken any video intentionally but a couple timesmy girlfriendhas put the mode dial on video by mistake and tried to snap a photo.
The video is smooth, the sound is good and the resolution is great.
Don't know about duration or anything else, but I was impressed by the "accidental" videos I keep finding in my folders.

I'm more and more impressed with my P150 everyday, I like it a LOT more than my previous Nikon Coolpix 5700

As far as blurry photos, I have maybe two or three out of a thousand shots, and they were definately my fault.
Thanks SteveC

I actaully tried out the Sony p150 and really liked it and compared it with The DSC - V3. Both Cameras turned fantastic results ( both pics and the movies) The shop Jessops in Edinburgh Scotland Uk Were very kind and let me try out the cameras quite extensively and let me see the results on thier PC. Like i said i was quite impressed. Although orignallyIwanted a very small cameras I prefered the size and weight of the V3 plus the features were incredilbe. ( I still would like a small cam for holidays espec for the beach!!).

I have had the V3 now for 10 days and i must say i love it. The results are very impresive. The camera is very fast as i take pics of very small children i find this to be paramount. I find the nikons and canons to be very slow ( tried both recently)
msajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 4:24 PM   #105

Beverly, first- thank you for your hard work and creating this thread. I have been following it for several weeks and have learned much about video capabilities of digital still cameras through your research as well as the contributors to the site.

A correction if you please. I just got aa great deal ($219) on a Minolta Dimage Z1 and purchased it despite some reservations because of the awesome price for a 10X optical zoom camera. Anyway, I bought a high speed sandisk SD card and tested it today. It does take 640X480 30fps video well past 30 seconds, and in fact- will go to the capacity of the video card. So- through personal experience, this camera is not limited to 30 seconds at the highest setting. Can you please make the correction? Thank you and keep up the great work!
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:54 PM   #106

bjohn wrote:
Quote:
...A correction if you please. I just got aa great deal ($219) on a Minolta Dimage Z1 and purchased it despite some reservations because of the awesome price for a 10X optical zoom camera. Anyway, I bought a high speed sandisk SD card and tested it today. It does take 640X480 30fps video well past 30 seconds, and in fact- will go to the capacity of the video card. So- through personal experience, this camera is not limited to 30 seconds at the highest setting. Can you please make the correction? Thank you and keep up the great work!
I just rechecked the manufacturing site and its brochure says "At non-VGA resolutions, recording can continue until the memory card is full. (On rara occasions, a memory card may not record to full capacity due to its writing speed.)" Reviewers have noted a limit at the 640x480 at 30fps. It is possible that they have updated the firmware and haven't bothered changing all the information out there. Can you make certain that your camera is set at 640x480 at 30 frames per second and redo the test. If you report that it still records for the full card, I'll change my info.

Congradualtions on the new camera! How big of a card did you get? The 10x zoom lens sounds great and it will be great news if they have overcome the time limit on the best quality movie mode. I'm sure that would have kept many people in this forum from considering it.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:11 PM   #107

I just emptied my card and re-ran the whole card at 640X480 30fps. It ran for close to 8 minutes and used the whole card. I even played the video back on the camera to make sure. I think it is fair to say that there is no limit, except for the size of the card.

It does a good job on video. There is, however, a faint clicking noise in the background caused by the auto-focus continuing to focus. This does not bother me, but it may concern others. I believe the Z2 and Z3 corrected this problem.

It is a 512 mb card.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:17 AM   #108

bjohn wrote:
Quote:
I just emptied my card and re-ran the whole card at 640X480 30fps. It ran for close to 8 minutes and used the whole card. I even played the video back on the camera to make sure. I think it is fair to say that there is no limit, except for the size of the card.

It does a good job on video. There is, however, a faint clicking noise in the background caused by the auto-focus continuing to focus. This does not bother me, but it may concern others. I believe the Z2 and Z3 corrected this problem.

It is a 512 mb card.
I have changed the information on the Minolta Z1 to reflect your information.

Regarding the clicking sound, you might search all your set up options to see if there is a way to turn the auto focus off during movies. This got rid of that problem for me on a different camera. If they have changed the camera to film more than 30 seconds in VGA mode and not documented it, they may have also enabled a way to disable the auto focus. Worth looking for in my mind. I hated that clicking sound and the focus remained great.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:10 PM   #109

Thanks for the change. Perhaps more people will consider purchasing the Z1, as you said, now that they know the video is unlimited.

Also, thank you for the advice, but I have not yet figured out how to turn off the auto-focus to stop the faint clicking noise. As I said, I am pretty sure the Z2 and Z3 allow you to turn it off. If I do find a way to do it, I will report it on this thread.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:04 PM   #110

Thanks for the hard work Beverly! I'm also stuck in this digicorder loop!:?

I've looked at all the videos for the listed 640x480 at 30fps and have made my choice:

*winner* Pentax optio 750z or 43wr looked the best to my eyes

*close second* Canon sd200/300 and the S1 IS almost as nice as the Pentax but some odd filtering turned me off.

*runner up* Minolta Z2/z1/z3 probably equal with the Pentax but the camera is just as big as my late camcorder! I want a pocket unit! ....but 800x600 video is VERY cool!

*just a bit fuzzy/grainy* Nikon 5200 I really wanted this camera but the video was just a notch below the others, very cool little camera....

*arrgh!* Fujifilm e550 I really love this camera! very fast! but the videos looked to grainy!might be320x240 interpolated to 640x480?? not sure.......

*mediocre* all Sony, not sure what 's wrong, but the videos are mushy and il-defined.....P150 was on my list for the past month, but it's now off.

*cough!* Samsung v50, Kyocera s5r just rotten, many artifacts...get what you pay for.......

Mpeg4 looks to be a miss the compression causes far too many artifacts......mJpeg and avi look the best IMHO.

I'm going to get the Pentax 750z..hopefully the price drops below 400$ now to stock up on 60x SD cards........

****Also wanted to add that the Olympus C-7000 is the best looking video, but it's 20 second limit is a problem.:?*****

Dagwood_Bumstead is offline   Reply With Quote