Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:16 AM   #111

In the end I found exactly what I was looking for, though its nearly a year old now I think. It was the Nikon 3700. It's small (tiny), light (164g inc battery+card) and does [email protected] I added a 1gb card so can take 15 mins of movie, which is very good quality (for a camera). Also does voice recording! It has one issue with A/V out of sync by around 300ms, but after playing around for a day or so I have an easy conversion setup to compress them to xvid and resync the a/v on my PC, so files can be 10%-20% of the original size and look better as it reduces some of the snowy look the originals have. It's a point and shoot so little manual control but I guess the kind of people that want a camera for movies, rather than a camcorder are looking for something small, easy to use and convenient to carry around 24/7 and would probably use a digital SLR and a camcorder for their serious stuff...

I concluded it is better to get an mjpeg camera with a big cheap memory card and convert to xvid on my PC (as re-syncing done at same time its no longer a problem to me), than rely on a more expensive mpeg4 camera, with pricier memory like the sony, their mpeg4 result being not as good quality or flexible for me as my PC converted one. I will soon write a drag and drop xvid convertor (like oggdrop) for my files making it very easy to do.
dtvrecord.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 1:30 PM   #112

Beverly W: Ideally you would want to have a separate camera and a separate camcorder, however many of us are unwilling to carry both

msajid: i hated carrying 2 cameras.

I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist. I really hesitate to buy a SLR because they don't record movies. I know this is sacrilege, is there an interchangeable lens, large CCD camera without a mirror hanging in front or the CCD?

Second related question: Can't the view be reproduced accurately with digital technology? How far are we from a point where advances can equal a mirrored image? From number of posts in this column, it appears a great demand for a device that shoots great pictures and good movies. Are corporations looking to cash in on this demand? Thanks in advance!

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:07 PM   #113

Over at dpreview someone (omr) is praising our thread and included a linking to this thread. They stated that our list "appears to be fairly comrehensive, through not entirely complete". I would love to ask him/her what they believe we are missing. However I can not get a login with that site (they never email me a password, why I don't know). It has frustrated me to be just a lurker at that site and unable to respond. I would love it if someone would reply to the following thread on my behalf asking what we need to add to make the list complete. The thread is:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11099084

Thanks for your help.
- Beverly W
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:11 PM   #114

Hi Dagwood_Bumstead,

Just wondering, where did you get the video samples for the 750z? Can you post a link? I could only find two samples on the web, one from Steves Digicams and one from an old forum post on dpreview.com.

I would actually argue, from the two examples I've seen, while the video mode appears prettygood on the 750z, itdoesn'tseem as good as the sd200/300 or the S1 IS. You will notice that the sd200/300 have a bitrate of 2 megabytes/sec, while the 750z only has 1 megabytes/sec. Meaning the movie mode has twice the compression; you can see some compression artifacts in the grass, faces etc in Steve's example. Don't see that in the canons.

Another important issue I think is how much control you get in the movie mode; the Sony cameras seem excellent in that regard while some other cameras seem to give you no options except 640x480 vs 320x240! I think that is the case for the Canons. The pentax gives youa decent amount ofcontrol such as ISO, metering, and white balance, I think. Anyway that is one more aspect to think about.

P.S.another thing to add is that there seems to be a small audio lag problem in the 750z movie mode.. check out the pentax forum at dpreview. I don't know if its asmall numberor all the 750zs that have this problem...

QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 4:26 PM   #115

Hi Qdravrah,

Yes I'll post videos when I get the camera.

I really like the Canon's1.8-2.0 kilobits but I want a 5-7 megapixel camera so they are off my list...and the compression is.....different?

The Pentax 750z does 1.0-1.3 kilobits and I really like the compression routine.

The Olympus c-7000 is awesome (probably better than my old camcorder!) it's around 1.6 kilobits...very nice but 20 second limit is a deal breaker.

I like the Fuji e-550 but no control and under 1 kilobits alsopoor compression...

Haven't noticed the audio lag on the 750z, will check in to it, thanks!

Dagwood_Bumstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 5:37 PM   #116

Dagwood,

So I take ityou've already ordered the 750z and are waiting for it. Please keep us posted on your impressions (especially the video aspect) once you try out the camera!

Small concerns aside (possible audio lag, high compression) I think the 750z is the best complete package out there. As of nowit ismy first choice also, but the missus won't allow me to splurge and get the camera.. says my old dsc-p71 is plenty good enough for us ... maybe after the price drops!

QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:35 PM   #117

I've decided to wait for the http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...il.php?cam=634 before I order the 750z.

*** December 6th for the jeff keller pentax 750z review ****

My bonus check arrives Friday so hope the review is up soon!

Burned a dvd of all the 640x480 30fps videos I could find on the net and played them on my standalone dvd player( hooked up to a 55" Mitsu hdtv)..........

.....results were: the Canon videos were the best...looked like good SVCD well above VCD, good VHS.

Sony vids looked ok, very soft but okay VHS quality.

Fujifilm were pretty poor...odd looking compression errors, sub-VHS.....VCD quality.

Minolta were also very nice as were the Nikon.

Pentax looked softer than the Canon but nothing to sneeze at.

I think 2Mbps>= is about the limit on a big screen if you want to show quality vacation video....on a computer screen 1Mbps -2Mbps is fine.

Still not time to throw away my camcorder but we are getting closer!

Next year we should see 3-4 Mbps, nearing DVD quality!

Old Dec 2, 2004, 12:17 AM   #118

Has anyone seen any sample video from the DSC-M1? If it has any of the pixelation from the extreem compression I will probably pass.

What about image stabilization. Most digicams have it but they also have very high zooms. Do you think you can get away without it with only 3x zoom? What about PC software to remove shake? Are their any consumer (cheap) packages out their for this?
Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 9:53 AM   #119

I think that we're at the stage when the movie mode is ok, but not quite there yet. It's the same situation when we first started having digital cameras with maybe 640 x 480 resolution. I hope that they make 50 fps video mode cameras soon, and hope they remove the eg..30 seconds or so time limits on some cameras that are out today. 30 fps is quite good though....quite acceptable for viewing.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:24 PM   #120

I ordered the Fuji e550(270$ after rebate), it's not the camera I want, but I NEED a new toy!!!:blah:

Was going to purchace the Pentax 750z but the 5 second startup was a deal breaker!Pentax does have excellent video, probably better compression than the Canon SD200/300! but......5 SECONDS! arrrgh!

DVD quality movies on a Digicam are 1 or 2 years away........ I might buy the Everio http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/ and use the Fuji just for still images.

Happy hunting!