Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:24 PM   #131

Cordis,

On my Z2 I get seven minutes and 40 seconds on a 512 MB SD card at the highest video setting (640X480 at 30fps or 800X600 at 15fps). I would assume you would double that to around 15 minutes on a 1 GB card. So it seems as if AVI and MOV have roughly the same compression (give or take 20 seconds).
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:30 AM   #132

Wow Beverly, what a list.

From all the samples i have reviewed the Olympus - C-770 seems to be the best qulaity image by far and away and I can only assume this is because it offers what it calls full screen MPEG4.

Are there any other cameras you are aware of that offer MPEG4 compression to rival the quality of the Olympus?

I would by the Olympus right now apart from it being bulky and using XD cards.

Ideally I'm looking for 5MP or grater, min 30fps, MPEG4, and 3x zoom or greater. ANy suggestions greatly appreciated.

BTW, what was the Netherlands sight you refer to?
simoni_milloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:49 PM   #133

simoni_milloni wrote:
Quote:
....Are there any other cameras you are aware of that offer MPEG4 compression to rival the quality of the Olympus?...Ideally I'm looking for 5MP or grater, min 30fps, MPEG4, and 3x zoom or greater. ANy suggestions greatly appreciated.

BTW, what was the Netherlands sight you refer to?
There is a list of all the cameras that can do MPEG4 format on the second page - at least for now! With me adding to the original list all the time, who knows what page it might be on in a few months.

Personally I DISLIKE the MPEG4 on all cameras so far that I have seen. I think that the Olympus C770 MOV format movie that Steve has in his review out performs the MPEG4 clip despite the MOV being limited to 15 fps. Look at the dog's tail in both clips and see if you still want the MPEG4 format.

So far the best quality video I have seen on one of these cameras is on the Canon Powershot S1 IS, but the lack of an AF lamp and its larger size is a deal killer for me. For you the Canon S1 might not be right since it is only a 3.34 MP camera, but it does better than you might think for a ultra zoom camera (i.e. look at the pictures before dismissing it). This is one of the few cameras that can do 10x zoom within the movies and/or image stabilization. One of the reasons that the S1 has such good clips however is that it CAN use very little compression, but you get to decide the compression. However with the price on compact flash cards (and SD cards) dropping so fast, this eating up of memory cards might not matter as much anymore. It is a fairly old camera, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a replacement announced this spring.

The Netherland site I was refering to was LetsGoDigital that is offered in several different languages.
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/index.html
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:24 PM   #134

I just moved the Kyocera S5R to the discontinued list (per imaging resources).

I also added the Samsung Digimax V700 (7.4MP, lens 38-114mm, 150 grams w/o b+c?, 105x56.5x29mm, MPEG4, SD, $399.99 list) and the Samsung Digimax A7 (7.2MP, lens 38-114mm, SD, other info???). For the A7 I assumed that it will be about the same size as the A6 for placing it on the list.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:05 AM   #135

Ok...First off GREAT job Beverly W !!! This post was just what I was looking for. OK guys and gals, now has come the time for me to get one of these cameras / camcorders (whatever you prefer). The reason I can not wait is that the wife is expecting and I have to get a camera or I will not be a good dad!!

Now I need YOUR help...I did some research and I have not gotten anywhere. What would YOU recommend.

I would like a camera that shoots at least 3.2 mp, 640 X 480 at 30 fps, uses SD memory and has a red eye reduction...HELP!!

What do ya think of the Sony - DSC M1?

Any other suggestions would help...Thanks in advance,

Chuck
Dashlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:01 PM   #136

OK so I had to get a camera and here is what I got... The NISIS Supacam DV6. Here are the Specs:

Shoot Photos (with a built in flash) at up to 6.6-MegaPixel resolution – the same quality of many high end dedicated stills cameras. When it comes to shooting video, the DV6 offers DVD MPEG4 resolution (640x480 pixels) High quality 30 frames per second Video. It even has a low light facility. With a built in MP3 player, free Editing software and 6 hours of battery life.For Windows 98SE, ME,2000,XP and Mac SD Memory and unlimited recording for the amount the card hol.ds. retail price of $269.00 with a $10 coupon code... 01-TGM

It comes with a 14 day no questions asked return policy. If I don't like it, I will return it. I will let you know how it is. Here is the web site.... http://www.supamad.com/review.htm

I looked at the video and they looked good. Check it out, they have it at the site I listed above.

Check out the write up it got at MacWorld at this site, scroll down to Tapeless camcorder: http://www.supamad.com/review.htm

Here was another write up--->"I always go for the odd gadgets from the unknown vendors in the far corners of the show. Today I bought a Solio solar charger for my phone (about $80 on the show floor - normally $120). And the most excitement I saw all day - with people actually pushing to get through the crowd and waving their credit cards to get the salesperson's attention - was at a booth where a tiny handheld device called the Supacam DV6 was on sale at $269. The product is a combination camcorder/still camera/MP3 player that records on Secure Digital memory cards. According to the booth barker, it can store two hours of MPEG-4 video, at a resolution of 640 x 480, on a 512-MB SD card. As a still camera it supports resolutions up to 2976 x 2232 (6.6 megapixels), although there's no optical zoom, just 8x digital. (Details at http://www.supamad.com.)"

They state that you have to have a Hi speedSD memory to get the 30 FPS. I did not know that, but I have a high speed SD card, so I will try it.

Wish me luck, I figure if I hate it, I will return it. I will let you know.

Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:09 PM   #137

Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:11 PM   #138

Here check outthis recent Fugi S5100sample video, hi grade640X480 at 30fps, as long as the card can hold,,,quality 2nd only to the Canon S1, or is it better??? and it does come with a lens hood/lens adapter, for available optional WA. & Tele.lenses

http://imageevent.com/vasatest55/fug...gicamvideotest
Attention: Please click on the download avi if you can't view the movie

MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:06 AM   #139

MOV and AVI are just container formats. The actual video data contained in those files varies in format. For example, running the unix tool 'file' on the movie in Steve's Canon Powershot S1 IL review (see http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s_samples.html) reveals this:

mvi_1871.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 640 x 480, 30.00 fps, video: Motion JPEG, audio: uncompressed PCM (mono, 22050 Hz)

Regards,

Oskar Liljeblad ([email protected])
oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:42 AM   #140

Why would you need 60 fps? Normal NTSC video is only 30 fps, considering it's interlaced. These digital cameras produce only non-interlaced video AFAIK...
oskar is offline   Reply With Quote