Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:59 PM   #151

Dashlite,
could you send me a video sample of the ddv-s670, if you still have one?
Which kind of sd memory you had? What the videos looked like?
I took a fast sd...i will reach 30fps but i dont know the quality, is not VHS? they say DVD quality, i know is to much but hoped at least VHS quality....
If you can send me some DDV-s670 samples here: [email protected] or tell me from wich address i can download.
thanks & good luck with sanyo!
tuleggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:06 PM   #152

:GOK...I have said this before, but I have NOW found the camera!!! I went with the Sanyo XACTI C4. I just got it today and I LOVE it!! Very Good video, the camera function is also very good. If you are looking for video and camera in one, this IS it. The video surprised me, it is the same as my Sony HI-8. I have not even set the camera on the highest setting, just TV HQ - 640X480 30fps. I can't wait to try SHQ - 640X480 30fps. I burned a DVD with the software included, it was VERY easy. I found the sound quality to be good and the image stabilizer was very good.

Kinda sluggish when zooming in and focusing, but so was my Sony.

I have tries the Fisher (Sanyo)V1(Last years model) and I was notimpressed. This was a good stepup from the V1.

I am very happy with this purchase...I got it for $389 on the web.

I'll keep you updated as I figure it out. It has a lot of functions and settings that I can't wait to try. A lot of manual settings too, thats what I wanted.

Dashlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:23 PM   #153

Just added Casio EXILIM Pro EX-P505 (5.0MP, lens 38-190, 215 grams w/o battery and card, 99x56x74mm, $499.99 List price). Positives: zoom in movies, stereo audio and flip out/twist LCD. Negative no viewfinder and possibly no AF lamp.

I also added an "OTHER DEVISES" category under which I put the DIgiLife DDV-S670 6-in-1 devise (Stereo MP3 player, camera, camcorder, web cam, voice recorder, and USB 2.0 flash drive)
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:35 AM   #154

Dashlite, happy for you!!

And thanks again for your video! (i added it on http://groups-beta.google.com/group/DDVgroup). I am still waiting for the camera but i have to say that the video is good enought for me, especially in comparison with the price!

Btw, Beverly W maybe you could add the price in the DDV-s670 (and 660) description, it is $179.

tuleggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:37 PM   #155

I saw Samsung's SC-X105 in a tv program today. It is a tapeless mpeg4 movie camera similar to JVC Everio with poor, 1 megapixel, still picture capability therefore probably does not belong on this list. What caught my attention is the availablity of an external wired lens/sensor assembly. It is connected by a cable and designed for the user to mount it like a helmetcam to record action video. I thought that was pretty neat.

Dashlite, enjoy the C4. It's a great little known camera. Hope you will extract a lot of enjoyment and utility out of it. I take my C4 with me to everywhere everyday for 3, going on 4 months now.

I think the engineers slowed down zoom motor while taking video to prevent the recording of motor noise. It's just one of the many issues C4 has addressed coming from C1. The end result is a polished product and does what it is designed to do well.

Which color did you get? :G
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:35 AM   #156

I got the blue one. I had to pay more for it, but it was just a few dollars. I am still trying to find something wrong with it. I heard it did not take good pics and vids in low light, but I found that not to be true. The flash works good, but no red eye, but software takes that out. Video is very good in low light. If you set the setting manually, it works even better. I just got my 1 GIG 60X card from newegg.com, it was $63, with the $15 rebate. I get a little over an hour on the card for video. I was wondering if the C4 can handle a 2 gig card?
Dashlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:35 AM   #157

Here is a bump to bring the thread back to first page.

Dashlite, I wasn't serious about the color question, but I am quite happy with the selection that is more than just black and silver. My C4 is active orange, which is a very loud color. People start asks me questions or point and gawk when I am using it.

I think C4's low light performance is adequate but could be better. I have a slightly more difficult time understanding the scene programs because I still think in terms of aperture, shutter and ex values. I just need to make the mental correlation of scene modes to effects on aperture and shutter speed.

I would be interested in whether 2 GB SD card works in C4. However, I think 1 GB is just right for C4, since the camera can record just about 1 GB of movie on one battery charge.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:58 PM   #158

I just added two Fujifilm cameras

Fujifilm F10 (6.1MP, lens 36-108mm, 155 grams w/o b+c, 92x58.2x27.3mm, xD card, no viewfinder but has a 2.5" screen, AVI, no price est) expected out in April .

Fujifilm Z1 (5.1MP, lens 36-108mm, 130 grams w/o b+c, 90x55x18.6mm, xD card, no viewfinder but has a 2.5" screen, AVI, no price est) expected out in June.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:55 AM   #159

Just added the Pentax OptioS5n (5 MP, 105 grams w/o b+c, 83x52x20.5mm excluding protrusions, MPEG4, SD, no price est). Details still limited (like no details on the lense range other than it being 3x). Also note that it is not compatible with a lot of computer operating systems, so be careful to make sure it will work with what you have and what you might want it to work with in the future.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:57 AM   #160

Just added a rather interesting sounding camera - the Casio EX-Z750 (7.2 MP, lens 38-114, 127 grams, 89x59x22mm, SD, MPEG4 saved as AVI, $449.99 list). It has many different movie setting modes including fireworks, against light, silent, past movie (movie starts 5 seconds before you press shutter), short movie (8 seconds, centering on moment shutter pressed) and converting movie to print option (1 or 9 frames), I really can see uses for these movie modes!

The camera is also very fast -- .9 seconds to turn on and .007 second time lag on a non-flash picture. The LCD is huge at 2.5 inches AND you still have a viewfinder! Too many cameras that are going with the large LCDs are giving up the viewfinder.

Now if only the camera lens started at more of a wide angle setting, this might have been the perfect camera for me. I like the camera to start at 35mm so I can take family pictures in small rooms (can't back up enough with a 38mm starting point). Will have to wait to see picture and movie qualities to see if others will find this the right camera for them.