Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:58 PM   #161

Just added three new Nikon COOLPIX's

Nikon COOLPIX 5900 (5.1 MP, lens 38-114, 150 grams w/o b+c, 88x60x36.5mm, SD, no $ est) - February 2005 release
Nikon COOLPIX 7600 (7.1 MP, lens 38-114, 145 grams w/o b+c, 88x60x39mm, SD, no $ est) - March 2005 release
Nikon COOLPIX 7900 (7.1 MP, lens 38-114, 150 grams w/o b+c, 88x60x36.5mm, SD, no $ est)

The 7600 and the 7900 have electronic vibration reduction. All three have a D-lighting function that adds light and details to dark areas of shots while keeping brighter areas just as they are.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:49 PM   #162

Just added the Canon PowerShot SD400 (IXUS 50) and SD 500 (IXUS 700). Both cameras can do 60 fps at 320x240 for up to one minute besides the 640x480 at 30 fps (limit 1GB). During movies you can use the digital zoom. They have the AF lamp and custom/preset or auto white balance.

SD400 (5.0 MP, lens 35-105, 130 grams w/o b+c, 86x53x21mm, AVI, SD, $399 list)
SD500 (7.1 MP, lens 37-111, 170 grams w/o b+c, 90x57x27mm, AVI, SD, $499 list)
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:50 PM   #163

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
The 7600 and the 7900 have electronic vibration reduction.
I haven't looked into this feature, does it only operate in movie mode? How does it compare in effectiveness to OIS?
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:23 AM   #164

To answer my own question, electronic VR is for movie mode only, it was just wishful thinking that had me hoping otherwise! I'd still be interested to hear people's experiences of how effective electronic image stabilisation is in comparison with OIS.

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:57 AM   #165

It's a pity.....

Sony had the MPEG VX fine mode for at least 2-3 years now but is not including MPEG4 compression technology to any of their new products except their niche product DSC-M1. Canon had their best digicam in terms of video capability in the old S1 IS but has yet to match that and instead cripple most of their popular models to 30sec or 60 sec video. Panasonic hasn't even moved past 320x240 movie mode yet, such a pity considering most of their cameras have excellentimage stabilization technology..:angry:

Look at Casio's two new models, the P505 and Z750, with 4.2 Mbit/sec MPEG4 compression video mode. Casio was able to include what I think is the best movie mode offered in a digicam thus far- even better than Sony M1 with the lower bitrate- because unlike Canon/Panasonic/Sony, Casio doesn't make camcorders.

The P505 and Z750 should give you much better video quality than, say, a P200, yet use up only a third of the memory.

I predict camcorders will be almost extinct in a few years, companies like Sony and Panasonic had better accept this and work more towards incorporating better digital video into digicams like companies like Sanyo and Casio are doing.

What do you think?

QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:32 AM   #166

I have a Fugi S5100, and testing it, head to head, against a Canon S1, I found better video, withless visiblenoise in low light indoor shooting, and there's no limit on the video, but it uses XD cards, so with a 256mb card I get 3mins 40sec of 640X480 30fpsvideo,,, 512mb cards are available now, with a 1 gig coming soon. Also, foundsharper pics, and better, faster,focusing, & shootingability, on the Fugi!,,, The Canon was returned.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:54 PM   #167

QDravrah wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic hasn't even moved past 320x240 movie mode yet, such a pity considering most of their cameras have excellent image stabilization technology..:angry:
I agree, I was momentarily excited to read about Panasonic's five new cameras launched around the PMA show, surely most if not all would have a decent movie mode. But no, not one. All 320x240, and if the clips I've seen from the FX7 are anything to go by, rather poor, grainy 320x240. It gets worse: three of these five brand new cameras don't even record sound on movies.

I have nothing against Panasonic, by the way. I wanted to buy the FX2 or FX7, I was just about prepared to do without an optical viewfinder and manual exposure control in order to have OIS (though I've since reflected that having the optical viewfinder probably gives you an extra stop of steadiness from clamping the camera against your face!) The movie mode is what lost Panasonic the sale. And will lose them thousands of sales on their five new models.

For any camera company reps who might be reading: there is a whole queue of people here who would not be able to whip their credit cards out of their wallets quickly enough if someone introduced a pocketable digicam with:
* high quality still images, at least 4MP, pref. 1/1.8 or larger sensor;
* high quality movies - 640x480 at 30fps (but spoil us with 800x600 if you like!), high bitrate, good compression;
* effective anti-shake on movies and stills;
* zoom range starting at 35mm or wider;
* enough manual control to keep hobbyists happy, e.g. aperture priority, manual or at least program shift, plus manual white balance;
* good, fast AF even in low light;
* high-quality optics, no significant fringing or edge softness.
Please, camera companies, please let us give you our money, we really want to... Hey, where are you going, what's that you say, treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen?

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:07 PM   #168

Probably someone has already facetiously mentioned the Panasonic PV-GS400. If not, they should. That's got IS, zoom, takes way better video, and I understand that the 4-megapixel stills aren't too bad either. I need to google for examples to see if that part is true however.

I really don't pay too much attention to movie modes specs, but it seems to me the Canon S1 IS does that rez and will also allow zooming and card filling.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:31 PM   #169

greenboy wrote:
Quote:
Probably someone has already facetiously mentioned the Panasonic PV-GS400...
I hadn't heard of that one. Just looked it up and seen the price, let us never speak of it again!

Quote:
it seems to me the Canon S1 IS does that rez and will also allow zooming and card filling.
Sadly it fails a few of my criteria, the main one being pocketability. Also it's 3 megapixels, 1/2.7 sensor - although that's not such an issue with only 3MP, zoom starts at 38mm, dodgy low-light AF. Close but no cheesecake (I've given up smoking!)

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:59 PM   #170

davej wrote:
Quote:
QDravrah wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic hasn't even moved past 320x240 movie mode yet, such a pity considering most of their cameras have excellent image stabilization technology..:angry:
I agree, I was momentarily excited to read about Panasonic's five new cameras launched around the PMA show, surely most if not all would have a decent movie mode. But no, not one. All 320x240, and if the clips I've seen from the FX7 are anything to go by, rather poor, grainy 320x240. It gets worse: three of these five brand new cameras don't even record sound on movies.

I have nothing against Panasonic, by the way. I wanted to buy the FX2 or FX7, I was just about prepared to do without an optical viewfinder and manual exposure control in order to have OIS (though I've since reflected that having the optical viewfinder probably gives you an extra stop of steadiness from clamping the camera against your face!) The movie mode is what lost Panasonic the sale. And will lose them thousands of sales on their five new models.

For any camera company reps who might be reading: there is a whole queue of people here who would not be able to whip their credit cards out of their wallets quickly enough if someone introduced a pocketable digicam with:
* high quality still images, at least 4MP, pref. 1/1.8 or larger sensor;
* high quality movies - 640x480 at 30fps (but spoil us with 800x600 if you like!), high bitrate, good compression;
* effective anti-shake on movies and stills;
* zoom range starting at 35mm or wider;
* enough manual control to keep hobbyists happy, e.g. aperture priority, manual or at least program shift, plus manual white balance;
* good, fast AF even in low light;
* high-quality optics, no significant fringing or edge softness.
Please, camera companies, please let us give you our money, we really want to... Hey, where are you going, what's that you say, treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen?

Dave
My Fugi S5100 has all, does all,this!,,, except no Image Stabilization, but itdoes surprisingly well without it, Actually I hardly noticedany differencein the Canon S1, when I turned it on?,,, But, as I said there's serious noise in the Canon's performance in low light video.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote