Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:33 PM   #171

MikDee wrote:
Quote:
My Fugi S5100 has all, does all, this!,,, except no Image Stabilization, but it does surprisingly well without it, Actually I hardly noticed any difference in the Canon S1, when I turned it on?,,, But, as I said there's serious noise in the Canon's performance in low light video.
That's the Fuji S5100, I assume. This misses a few of my criteria (I accept that other people will have different criteria and priorities, of course, but I know there are lots of people with similar desiderata to mine). For me this model loses out mainly on pocketability and image stabilisation, also sensor size (though I'm not too fussed about that if the camera manages to achieve high-quality low-noise images with good dynamic range), zoom starts at 37mm (close!). Looks like a good camera, but not the (non-existent) one I'm looking for.

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:44 PM   #172

I just wanted to add my impressions of shooting video with the Canon SD200, and burning to DVD. I no longer have the SD200, but shot a fair amount of test video of my daughter.

First of all, I thought the SD200 did a great job overall with video. This is a very small and inexpensive digicam, and can be paired with a 1 GB SD card for relatively cheap nowadays. Images were very clear and sharp with good color. Shooting in low light increases the noise, however this is a problem even with camcorders. Sound is obviously mono, but was very acceptable to me- nice and clear.

The most significant negative I found was camera shake. Without any image stabilization whatsoever, my video clips tend to appear a bit 'jittery'. It wasn't headache-inducing, but I would prefer to not have this issue. Optical IS would be great, but I am sure even digital IS would help.

I made a short DVD with iMovie/iDVD on my Mac, and popped it in my Panasonic 36" TV (not high def but a very good set.) The video looked great IMO, at the very least it was superior to regular analog camcorders. The only significant negative again was the jitter/camera shake. To me that's the main tradeoff vs. the small size, great price, and convenience of using an SD200 for general home video. YMMV of course, but I think most people in this forum would get similar impressions- we're not expecting miracles and are aware that there are tradeoffs either way.

Thanks, Steve

PS- I originally made a DVD a couple of months ago on my Windows XP notebook. The DVD ended up being significantly pixellated on my TV, and I was very disappointed (I ended up selling the SD200 and upgrading my digital SLR instead.) It was very surprising as well, since I know that relative resolution of a TV is far less than 640 x 480. Turns out it was the software that was causing the problem, probably when it was re-encoding from MJPG to whatever format for the DVD. Just something to watch out for no matter what computer/platform/software you use.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:09 PM   #173

Umm, is it me or is the Nikon 3700 a screaming deal right now with a $100 rebate (until 3/31)? You can get it for under $150 delivered...

The sample clips I've seen look reasonably close to the SD200.

As I mentioned, I really would like IS, but that price...

EDIT- I bit and bought one from Compuplus for $130 delivered after rebate. For camera shake I will be trying this-

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/osx_s...teadyZoom.html

I will try this software on my Canon clips, and will post impressions here. I imagine equivalent software is available for Windows as well.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:18 PM   #174

greenboy wrote:
Quote:
Probably someone has already facetiously mentioned the Panasonic PV-GS400. If not, they should....
There are a ton of camcorders out there that are not showing up on this list and I am not planning on adding them. If I was looking for a camcorder, the GS400 would be one of my finalists. However traditionally video cameras don't take as good of still pictures as a camera with the same specs. I know that they are getting better, but until some reviewer starts to seriously review the quality of the stills on a camcorder and favorably ranks it against thoses taken by a camera, I will stick with my cameras that can also do movies. I realize that good quality movies from cameras are more inferior than the good quality stills from camcorders, but a good quality still picture is more important to me. Also the good camcorders tend to be larger than I would like to carry and cost a lot more.

P.S.: There are a pile of Sony cameras that I need to add to the list, but I have to get back to work. They are DSC-H1, DSC-S40, DSC-S60, DSC-S80 (Europe), and DSC-S90. I will probably post them tomorrow.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:50 PM   #175

Just to clarify about the Nikon 3700- some web sites list VGA 30FPS mode as limited to 1 minute. There is a Yahoo Group for the Nikon 3700, and users have specifically stated that recording is unlimited with a fast SD card (which also seems to eliminate sound sync issues.)
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:40 PM   #176

Hello All,

Good Job Beverly W on the list of digital cameras capable of 640 by 480 - 30 fps video!! I was planning on upgrading my present digital camera and, in view of the fact that the cost difference for addinghigh res video isfairly negligible, this option would be a definite must. Along with this capability,agood qualityzoom lens, external flash shoe, large bright2" view screen, manual shutter speed control, accurate fill flash, fast operationand standard AA batteries are some ofmy other desitables. I am a bit confused about the different video formats (avi mov mpeg4, etc). Which of these format is best?I have found that some of the640 by 480 sample clips that I downloaded from Steve's sample photo pages played jerky on my computerCan anyone point me to a web discussion on this? What is involved inconverting those videos to a format that isplayablefrom a CDin a DVD player?
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:47 PM   #177

ArchP,

I wrote a little overview about video containers and formats in a previous post. You can find it here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...53&forum_id=87

Back to cameras, Sanyo make make an announcement on March 1. Presumably it will be for the C5, which will replace the C4 in their product line.

Sanyo's link: http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/countdown/index.html
Sanyo's press release for CeBIT: http://www.presseportal.de/story.htx?nr=650577
3rd party scoop: http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo...o_xacti_c5.php
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:27 AM   #178

The official announce came out. C5's spec is as follows:

1/2.5" 5 megapixel CCD
38-190mm (35mm equivalent) f/3.5-4.7 lens
3680x2760 maximum still image resolution with "pictorize 1000" technique
210,000 pixel 2" transreflective LCD
23x68x108mm (w d h) 145g

C5 is an evolutionary upgrade to C4 with focus on further miniturization. The camera is thinner and 10% lighter. According to the article, the lens unit is 26% smaller than C4, but as a consequence, the C5's lens performance is compromised a little, but should be barely noticeable noticeable. For comparison, C4 has 38-220mm (35mm equivalent) f/3.3-3.6 lens.

C5 also leverages video and image interleave technique that allows recording video and taking pictures at the same time without interrupting the video. The C4 inserts 1 second of black frame in the video when the picture is taken. C5 also adds an additional box called A mode in the display to assist framing with electronic image stabilization. (EIS uses about 10% of vertical and horizontal resolution to smooth out the jittering.)

I think C5 has a very nice feature set to make the camera even more user-friendly that it already is. As for me, C5 does not have enough new features to make me want to upgrade.

Sanyo's Press Release: http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...-j/0301-1.html
News coverage: http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/co...3/01/1081.html
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:57 PM   #179

ArchP wrote:
Quote:
I have found that some of the 640 by 480 sample clips that I downloaded from Steve's sample photo pages played jerky on my computer
I find this too, in my case it's because my circa 1999 PC with a cheap graphics card isn't up to the job. What specification is your PC?

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:44 PM   #180

msb0b wrote:
Quote:

I think C5 has a very nice feature set to make the camera even more user-friendly that it already is. As for me, C5 does not have enough new features to make me want to upgrade.
I am very intrigued by the C4, as it seems the closest to camcorder quality and has image stabilization, yet has some advantages as well- small size, smaller file size (about .5 MB/ second in highest quality mode?)

DV AVI is great, but I think it's about 2 MB/second which can add up on your computer. OTOH, tapes are relatively cheap so you can keep footage on tapes...

At the C4's price point (around $400-450) I would really want the C4 to shoot practically camcorder quality video. Does it?

Thanks,
Steve