Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:43 AM   #201

Hi people,

I have been watching this forum to try to gather some information about a digital camera that could provide decent video. I owned a Mustek DV4000 and the video image quality was poor. Therefore my choice was on a camera with good quality still pictures, decent video and worked on AA batteries (proprietary batteries are expensive and hard to find after a while, at least in my country). I choose Konicaminolta's Dimage Z3 and I am very happy with my choice. I agree when people say it is too bulky but on the other hand, it has 12x optical zoom. I am not trying to make anyone's mind only to inform. By the way, I also saw the video samples on the net concerning this camera and, very honestly, mine came out quite well.

Bottom line is, if you are looking for some good digital camera with nice video performance, using AA batteries and don't mind about being a little bulky, this is one that you should really consider.

If anyone wants some help concerning this model just let me know.

meldias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:26 AM   #202

I don't think you can beat the Olympus C770 for the right combination of MPEG-4 movies, full frame w/sound, plus a great 10x optical lens, with 4MP, great still photos, and a small size.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:47 PM   #203

I got my c5 last week on April 6th. At first I was soooo excited! I've been dreading lugging around my old analog video cam and ancient 2Megapixel Olumpus C700. It was so laborious that I almost stopped taking video altogether. I read so many good things about the c4 and did the best research I could on the c5. Unfortunately there wasn't much information available.
Long story short, I had to get a new camera fast, cause I was sending my 2MP C700 with my wife's sister (who was visiting us from abroad)back home as a gift to my father in law. After months of reading various reviews, I almost went and bought the JVC Everio MC200, but at around $1200 at Best Buy, I found it harder to part with my money than I though. So, I came across this thread and based on previous posts about the c4, went and bought the c5 from bwayphoto.com - I had to wait almost two weeks as the first shipment sold out so fast and they had to wait for new stock.
Anyway, here's why I am very disappointed with it so far:
1. EXTREMELY poor low light performance - it's so bad, I can't take video of my kids indoors at any time of day ! It is so unbelievably bad that you almost can't make out facial features!
2. Zooming noise. The noise from zooming while shooting video is so annoying that it spoils everything for me. Also the auto-focus noises are all picked up too.
I am at a loss for words. I am going to try and return it to broadway photo.
Now I just don't know what to do next. It looks like I will have to have two gadgets after all, unless someone here has better experience with the other digicams.
For me it is of the utter-most importance to be able to shoot good quality video indoors as I have a one year old baby and she is just at the most adorable stage of her life and I can't miss any of it. The video I've shot of her with the c5 is just short of un-useable.
PLEASE HELP, tell me there is a working solution !

Karel
kpienaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:19 PM   #204

Hi the best camera with a full 640x480 @ 30 fps is the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200. Here's why;

8MP, 7x optical zoom, 1.8" rotatable LCD, full manual controls, D-SLR LIKE!!!!, expand through lenses and flash units, great ISO 200 and 400 pics for night shooting, 1/3200 shutter speed, plus lots more!

Heres the movie modes

800x600 @ 15 fps

640x480 @ 30 or 15 fps

320x240 @ 30 or 15 fps

There is a clip length limit of 15 MINUTES (THATS STILL A LOT).

You can get a 4gb (yes four GB) Hitachi microdrive for $170 from ebay that is 7MB/s, or a 12MB/s 1gb Lexar card for $102. 4gb will store 1 hours worth of VGA @ 30 fps, and a lot more hours at 320x240 @30fps mode!
Digicamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:59 PM   #205

On the camera aspect the A200 is great. But on the video dept. data rate is almost the same as the Nikon 3700 which is, IMHO, lesser in quality than the Canons, SD-200..300..500 and S1.
I'm using IXY-50(SD-300), very satisfied with the video quality, higher data rate using MJPEG codec. Very easy to process using VirtualDub coz all frames are key frames. Only downside is... you really need a high capacity SD card to record just a few minutes of quality video. Well.... there is always a trade if you want quality. Anyhow it really comes very handy to take a snapshot or a minute of quality clips during those memorable moments
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:13 PM   #206

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The Minolta DiMAGE A200 is the camera I'm thinking of buying:-)! I have never owned a digicam. I want this to be an all rounder and thats why after YEARS:?of searching, I finally picked this. But now you say that the A200 isn't good? Do you have this camera? The video on steves site looks okay.

See the canons cant take add on conversion lenses. Thats why the A200 wins again in that department. I dont know of any other ~8MP ~7x optical camera, that can do VGA @30fps. Pentax optio750z can but still image quality and speed isn't good it seems. Sony VGA is bogus interpolated b***s***. So any recomendations? I would like a VGA @30fps with ~8MP, 7x optical (A200 starts at 28mm too!!!, unlike others wich start at 35mm).
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:04 AM   #207

Sorry if i got you misleaded with my post. I didnt say that the A200 is not a good camera... it is indeed a very good one. I just said that the "video quality" of the Canons are somewhat better as they record at a higher data rate and using Motion JPEG codec.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:56 AM   #208

Oh Ok. Thanks for that, I was feeling kinda down. All I really need is a good digicam, since I dont buy often. So I thought, buying one with a NTSC resolution would be a good deal too. Do you own a DiMAGE A200? Well thanks for clearing that up.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 12:08 PM   #209

Check out the Fugi S5100, ittakes better pics, &unlimitedvideo,then similarCanon cameras,especially in low light, plus it's faster all around, andthere are add on lenses available.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:26 PM   #210

yep the S5100 is a good choice, also good video quality.