Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:08 AM   #241

I can't seem to make a post with correct spacing.**I tryied to edit the first post to update the prices and to add new cameras.* At first I ended up with huge spaces between sections.* Then I ended up with NO spacing - as if the return key (also the enter key) wasn't being used.* Any ideas what is going on?I then tryied to post a totally new post and paste the info in from a spreadsheet.* That ended up being just one big paragraph.* This message I am doing should be three paragraphs.* We will see how it posts. I am typing this in directly - i.e. not pasting from some outside software.*
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:57 PM   #242

I just bought the Fuji F10 and am pretty impressed with it the movie mode. It takes excellent video even in dim lighting. The only problem I have discovered other than that it doesn't zoom during movies is that it doesn't seem to auto focus during movies. Is there any way the main list of 640x480x30fps cameras can be updated to include the information such as which ones autofocus while filming? It would have been nice if they even included an option to let you press the shutter button and have it change focus when you want.

If you have a 640x480 movie capable camera, can you test it to see if it changes focus while filming?

-V

vissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:39 AM   #243

I track a lot of things on these cameras (when I actually am following the camera - I took a 5 month break!), but which ones autofocus during the movies is not something I have tracked nor is it something that is easy to find out about on each camera.* Therefore it is not something I will add to the list.* I plan on finishing updating the list this week.* The trouble I ran into in formating I fixed by running a pc emulation on my mac and using internet explorer as my web browser.* I never had to do that before.* It only took me maybe EIGHT extra hours to post what little I did update .* I had hoped that this problem was solved, but I see from this posting (which should be two paragraphs) that they haven't gotten the problem with other browsers fixed yet.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:50 PM   #244

Beverly W,

Many of the cameras listed in the new Hybrid forum:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=92

do 640x480 at 30fps, but aren't on your "Miscellaneous" list. Defining which ones have image stabilization, video autofocus, optical zoom, video zoom etc. requires a spreadsheet.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 9:54 PM   #245

I have used an Aiptek DV4500 for videoing while canoeing, but the Digilife DV720 I replaced it with does a far better job. The Digilife does 640x480 at 30fps, and has image stabilization. Either is cheap enough that I don't worry about ruining them. The Aiptek got wet (fresh water) without suffering any damage after drying out.

There are many other similar cameras listed at the new Hybrid forum, and pretty well all the hybrids to come out in the last few months do 640x480 at 30fps..

Neholac wrote:
Quote:
Any sample videos from the Optio MX/MX4 available?

Let me explain a little bit first, I have a Minolta A200, which is an excellent camera for most anything I need to do, and has a fantastic movie mode. However, I have a need for something cheap(er) to take videos and pictures where the A200 might get damaged.

Lately I've been using a DXG 301V that does 3.2MP stills and fair quality 320X240 video for when I go canoeing or when it might rain. It works, but I'd like to get a 640X480 30FPS camera if possible. Basically I just need something for snapshots and home video when I don't want to risk the ruining the good camera, unless someone makes an affordable underwater housing for the A200.

I've also noticed the MX is supposed to take video in MP4 format, while the specs for the MX4 lists Quicktime. Is that right or a misprint?

Thanks for your help,

Scott
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:59 PM   #246

I have just added a ton of new cameras and updated the prices on all the old cameras. I also moved a lot of cameras to the discontinued list. Since I cut and pasted from a spreadsheet instead of inserting the new info, I have no idea which cameras were added. I figure that I would never get around to updating it if I changed it all by hand.

I decided that the organization needed a major overhaul. It is now first sorted into Current, Discontinued and Other Devises (which I not really reporting on). The current cameras are broken down by size and listed alphabetically. I think this will make it easier to find info you are looking for.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 2:10 AM   #247

I just reposted the updated list. I missed a few cameras before. Also had the old prices on many of the cameras still (opps!)
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:12 PM   #248

you know what would be cool is to add the movie format to each of these cameras. i'm pretty sure majority of people will be looking for mpeg-4 for movie capabilities just because of capacities.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:51 PM   #249

The manual for my Fuji e550 stated that there is no autofocus while capturing a video, but this is false. It does in fact change focus and exposure, as it should.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:44 PM   #250

c0mrade wrote:
Quote:
you know what would be cool is to add the movie format to each of these cameras.* i'm pretty sure majority of people will be looking for mpeg-4 for movie capabilities just because of capacities.
On the second page of this thread you can find a list of movie formats, but I haven't updated it recently. I wouldn't assume that MPEG4 is the best. Most, if not all, of the MPEG4 format videos I have seen have compression artifacts in them. Personally I am staying away from that format until then get the quality issue solved (look in the fast moving areas like the tail on Steve's dog).

I am currently going through all 111 cameras verifying that I have the information down correctly (some mistakes have been found). In this process I am finding out exactly what movie formats the various cameras have and will update the thread when I am done.

I am trying to make all the cameras comparing apples to apples when it comes to the MP. Some companies will say their cameras are 5.2 MP (based on sensors), but their effective MP is only 5.0 MP. Other companies in that same situation would call it 5.0 MP. I'm going through and making them all show 5.0 MP in that situation.