Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:50 PM   #251

A camera that almost makes the list is the new Kodak C360.* It takes 640x480 mpeg-4 video at 24fps.* I used the camera for a week before sending it back.* The video was the best thing about the camera.* Still images were underexposed and had exagerated colors.* Flash was not available under 20 inches.* A promising camera that should not have been released for sale.
panoramabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 6:38 AM   #252

Just to add some comment on MPEG-4 vs M-JPEG

MPEG-4 is no worse than M-JPEG in movie quality (both 640x480 for apple-to-apple comparison), at least not that I 've noticed in my hours of movies taken using both formats (Canon Ixus 50 M-JPEGvs KodalV550MPEG4), on the same subjects (my over-active son).

But the filesizes of MPEG-4 are just a QUARTER of M-JPEG!!!

To some extent, MPEG-4 movies are even more pleasing to the eyes. Its object-oriented compression algorithm will try to single-out moving objects from the background and make them more distinct.

But MPEG-4 DCs may be MORE COSTLY than M-JPEG DCs. Why? Because the MPEG group decided to charge the implementors (the DC vendors) high license fees for using the compression technology (back in 2002). Whereas M-JPEG algorithms are more like Freeware. There was once talk also about charging the MPEG-4 clients (we customers) on a movie-length basis (but of course impractical). I think probably the DC vendors might have absorbed the costs for us already.

In summary I would rate the video quality in the order:

DV (raw uncompressed tape) > MPEG-4 = M-JPEG

Finally, IMHO,I would notcount too much on the movie formats (compressions) when choosing the DC. Because at the end, it is still the CCD & the Lens that characterize the quality of the pictures and movies.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:27 PM   #253

From the review the v550 records 15 minutes of video on a 512mb card which means it must be using quite a high bit rate (bear in mind all MPEG4 recordings are not the same, depends on bit rate)
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 2:40 PM   #254

After researching hundreds of cameras for the past few months, I finally purchased the EX-Z750 a couple of weeks ago. I started off with my eye on the Fuji E550 but was sold over on the newer Casio video quality. I had been looking at the Casio EX-P505 but considered the higher megapixel rating and lower price of the EX-Z750. Someone was concerned with the range of the zoom on the lens.I commended in an earlier posting about somegripes with documentation and software, but the product seems great. Speaking of the optical zoom range on the EX-Z750 which is in my hands, if I stand at one end of my 12 by 18 foot living room and look at the other end in full wide angle, I can see thefull end wall and a few feet of side wallon either side. The zoom at that distance moves in to show just my entertainment center (about 6 feet width). This range is not adequate for sports or wildlife, of course, butsuits mefor mostof myapplications. Also most high powered 7 mpzoom digitals are more expensive. Theyrequire a tripod and will not easily go along with me in my shirt pocket. If anyone needs any additional hands-on reporting on this camera, let me know. My concern right now isthe burning of the videos to dvd. I do not have a dvd burner as yet, and my Win98SE crashes the Movie software that comes with the Casio (Win2000 and XP only recommended). Has anyone tried burning the HQ video clips to DVD yet? What hardware/softwareare youusing? How are the results compared with Video CD?
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:43 PM   #255

Both Casio Z750 & Kodak V550 mpeg-4 are 500KB/sec.

But Z750 hasan artifact of "rainbow ripple" when shootingmovie ofdense black/white high contrast stripes. V550 does not have the defect. (Pls check the windmil sample movie from Casio's website).

I did some research and found a term called "Moire Pattern" (somehow a biological visionphenomenon combined with the effect of the DC lens), that might be related to the Z750's pattern.

Could somebody confirm that is related to Moire Pattern?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 1:19 AM   #256

I just updated my listing on page two for what camera does what video compression algorith. I believe that I now understand a little more on what these terms mean and did a MAJOR overhaul of the listing. I believe that there are three or four compression algorithms (MPEG-4, Motion JPEG, MPEG1 and MPEG VX (I'm not sure that this is really a separate algorithm). Then there are different ways to save the files (MOV, AVI, MP4 and MPG). I really don't understand all of this - I just know when I see something that I like or don't like. So if this organization still doesn't make any sense, please tell me (unlike last time where no one pointed out my errors). I listed each algorithm's cameras with sub-sort on how it save the file.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:25 AM   #257

I am nowfairly convinced that the Casio z750 video "rainbow ripple" artifact, may be a result of the "purple fringe" effect of the Casio Lens.

This is because the densely black/white stripes of high contrast willinduce purple fringes in large scale. And as the stripes move, they are just like ripples of rainbow sliding/radiating out.

Several of my friends using "toy" DCwithlow-quality lens also see the problem when taking video, no matter M-JPEG or MPEG-4 i.e. independent of video compressions/formats.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:00 AM   #258

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
I just updated my listing on page two for what camera does what video compression algorith. I believe that I now understand a little more on what these terms mean and did a MAJOR overhaul of the listing. I believe that there are three or four compression algorithms (MPEG-4, Motion JPEG, MPEG1 and MPEG VX (I'm not sure that this is really a separate algorithm). Then there are different ways to save the files (MOV, AVI, MP4 and MPG). I really don't understand all of this - I just know when I see something that I like or don't like. So if this organization still doesn't make any sense, please tell me (unlike last time where no one pointed out my errors). I listed each algorithm's cameras with sub-sort on how it save the file.
Very very nice. Thanks Beverly_W!!!
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:11 PM   #259

Just added three new Fujifilm cameras:

Fuji E900 ( 9 MP, lens 32-128 mm, 200 grams w/o , Motion JPEG (AVI) , no $ est yet ) - 102x63x34mm

Fuji S5200 (also called S5600) ( 5.1 MP, lens 38-380 mm, 370 grams w/o , Motion JPEG (AVI) , no $ est yet )-114x85x112mm

Fuji S9000 Zoom (also call S9500) ( 9 MP, lens 28-300 mm, 645 grams w/o , Motion JPEG (AVI) , no $ est yet ) tilting LCD, 128x93x129mm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 1:36 AM   #260

Just added five more cameras: Sony DSC-T5, DXG USA DXG 568, DXG USA DXG 552, Minox DC 8111 and the Ben Q DC E520. The Sony was announced today. All the others were announced earilier but since they are not big players in the camera market (to put it nicely), I didn't see their announcements at first.