Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:52 PM   #261

Nice list Beverly - but a few corrections:

Canon SD400\500 only do digital zoom in vidoes, NOT optical zoom
Panasonic FX8\9 do not have either optical or digital zoom in video mode
Sony DSC-W5 & W7 do not have digital zoom in video mode (indeed none of the Sony cams do)
Canon S1 IS does not have stereo sound (mono only)

Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:05 AM   #262

Boxman wrote:
Quote:
Nice list Beverly - but a few corrections:

Canon SD400500 only do digital zoom in vidoes, NOT optical zoom
I just said zoom in video - I didn't say what kind. I would assume that unless the manufacturer says it is optical zoom that it is digital zoom in the videos. In the cases that I know one way or the other I have stated optical or digital.

Boxman wrote:
Quote:
Sony DSC-W5 & W7 do not have digital zoom in video mode (indeed none of the Sony cams do
I don't see anywhere that I state that it does. I'm going to leave the thread untouched so you can tell me where I mis spoke. You might be referring the the comment of "smart digital zoom". I can make this a little clearer that this is more zoom at lower resolutions without loss of quality just like some of the other newer cameras.

Boxman wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic FX89 do not have either optical or digital zoom in video mode
I don't see anywhere that I say either the FX8 or FX9 zoom in video mode. Again can you show me where I said that?
Boxman wrote:
Quote:
Canon S1 IS does not have stereo sound (mono only)
My mistake - I mistakenly let the spreadsheet autocomplete the cell and then took out the word optical in the description. I also needed to remove the "stereo sound, picture during movie" - both items that the S2 has but not the S1.

Thanks for looking carefully at the list. This is the first time cutting and pasting from my spreadsheet and thus there could be more mistakes out there that need to be found. Previously I hand entered everything into the list, but that was getting too hard to update.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:33 AM   #263

I have added five new cameras. In the Tiny category:

Casio EX-Z10 ( 5 MP, lens 38-114 mm, 138 grams w/o , Motion JPEG (AVI) , no $ est yet ) image stabilization, stills from video
Casio EX-Z110 ( 6 MP, lens 38-114 mm, 136 grams w/o , Motion JPEG (AVI) , no $ est yet ) image stabilization, stills from video
Casio EX-Z500 ( 5 MP, lens 38-114 mm, 112 grams w/o , Motion JPEG (AVI) , no $ est yet ) image stabilization, stills from video

In the Large category:*

Kodak Easyshare P850 ( 5.1 MP, lens 36-432 mm, 403 grams w/o , Motion JPEG , $499 list ) optical zoom in videos, optical image stabilization, stills from video
Kodak Easyshare P880 ( 8 MP, lens 28-140 mm, 556 grams w , Motion JPEG , $599 list ) optical zoom in videos, optical image stabilization, stills from video

In response to Boxman's message, I added the following note to the original listing:

NOTE: I state optical or digital image stabilization and zoom during movies if I know the type. If unstated it is more likely to be digital than optical - especially for the zoom during movies. If I talk about the zoom without saying during videos (or movies), THEN I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT DURING MOVIES. Some cameras at lower resolutions are being smart about how they zoom past the stated optical zoom maximum. At the lower resolution, these cameras can zoom further without lowering the set resolution.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:09 AM   #264

I have a Dimage Z2 with a 2GB sd card. On 640x480 and 30fps, it never records more than 12 min 4 or 5 sec (less than half the card). This seems to be in blatant contrast to what is claimed, i.e. that it can fill an SD card. Has anybody else managed to fill a 2GB SD card on 640x480 30fps?
kneeslasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:31 AM   #265

The new Canon Powershot s80 has some interesting features... 640x480 @30fps of course.. But also 1024x768 at 15fps... It also does digital zoom in video.

However one of the reviews said quality goes down a lot if you digital zoom during video.. that surprises me since it has so many pixels to play with. Has anyone used the movie mode in this camera? Can you post some info about the digital zoom, auto focus, exposure (light sensitivity), etc during video?

Thanks! -vissa

vissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:20 PM   #266

I have been checking on this thread every few months, as cameras get better at video. I am basically looking for a small, cheap digicam that will do good quality VGA video. MPEG4 compression is preferable, but secondardy for me to video and audio quality.

A couple of things I have found-

1. The Sony DSC S40 (and many Sony digicams) I believe use MPEG1 which is the compression scheme used in VCD's. I am guessing it is better than MJPEG in terms of compression/quality (1.3 MB/second.) The sample clip from Steve's review for the DSC S90 (in fine mode) is quite nice. The sample for the DSC S40 is in standard quality (350kb/sec) and looks heavily compressed (as expected.) I am guessing that the DSC S40 in fine quality mode will give great results (same as S90 as it appears to use the same compression.)

The camera can be found for close to $100 these days, great bargain IMO. Main drawback is no image stabilization, but I haven't found that for under $300.

2. Someone mentioned the Kodak C360. I checked out Steve's sample. Great recording capacity (500 kb/sec.) 24 FPS would fine too, but I found the sample video to be pixellated in certain parts. Note that the sample video is somewhat demanding, as it is tracking a running dog. If you're shooting videos of your kids, the quality will be better.

No image stabilization, but this camera is around $200. Not sure if the quality tradeoff is worth it, but not bad! For shooting short little clips of the kids, the total recording capacity may not matter as much as getting the best output on a DVD.

3. I checked out Steve's sample of th Kodak V550, very similar to the C360. Great compression, only acceptable quality. EDIT- I had previously posted that the video was choppy, turned out it was my computer. The Kodak videos are actually quite smooth.

Finally- others have already chimed in, but MPEG4 is as good or better than any other compression scheme out there, including DV and MPEG2. The main difference is that DV and DVD's use very high bitrates. MPEG4 is currently somewhat limited in digicams, however, as it uses more sophisticated compression schemes that require more powerful chips. The MPEG4 used in most current digicams represents a sort of compromise, but this will get better in time.

madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:39 AM   #267

I now have fully tested the Canon S80 Video modes and compared them to the Fuji F10. I can say without hesitation that the F10 has a far superior video mode. Not only does it record MUCH better in low light, but the quality of a normal outdoor video at 640x480x30fps is way ahead of the S80. The S80has jaggies on any diagonal line and the image does not look smooth -- it has a low-res look to it. The funny thing is that if you use the S80 at the cool new 1024x768x15fps mode, the images are silky smooth, but of course the video is choppy because of the framerate. The Fuji F11 supposedly has an even better low light video mode compared to the F10.

I'm convinced that the 1024x768x15fps mode on the S80 uses a completely different method for video creation than the 640x480x30fps mode on the same camera. I think at 1024 it downscales a higher resolution image, but at 640 it is only sampling some of the photosites. This could explain the apparent lack of resolution and the jaggies. I will say that in good lighting, the 1024 mode on the S80 is cool because it looks almost hi-def on a good LCD screen. However the framerate takes away from that. Nice also if you plan to grab a photo from the video (but note you need good lighting for the S80 1024 video).

As far as sound, the F10 wins here as well. Although I believe the bitrates are the same, the S80 has a subtle high pitch hum, and some sounds come out strange (S's in speech sound funny on the S80 for some reason, while they sound fine on the F10).

Finally, I've seen a lot of users using the bitrate as a means of comparing video quality. Let me just say that the Fuji F10 uses about half the space of the S80 for video, and at 640x480x30fps the FUJI videos are still better. There is more to the video quality than bitrate.

-vissa
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:49 AM   #268

Looks like this thread is dead, but I thought I should add the latest and greatest

The just announced panasonic tz1 does 848x480x30fps video (widescreen), zooms up to 10X optical whiie shooting video and focuses while shooting video. It is by far the smallest 10x camera ever made (pocketable) uses a brand new innovation of folded optics along with an extending lens. Oh, and it has optical image stabilization!!!

This appears to kill the Canon S2 in every way except perhaps audio.

Looks like a good camera too.

-vissa
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:43 PM   #269

AUGGGGGHH.. There's no viewfinder!?!?! what's with that?

It seem to have the same sz sensor as the S2..

Does anyone know what it will be selling for?.. I'm curious.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:45 PM   #270

vissa wrote:
Quote:
Looks like this thread is dead, but I thought I should... etc
This thread - dead? Naaaah... ...Never.

(I've found this thread when I was trying to Google-out: recompress any movie to view it on your digital camera (in that sense).)

...So - I wanted to finaly ask the question of what camera to buy to be able to do just that.
I mean - I guess someone out there hacked-out how to recommpress any movie so it fits the codec in use by camera.

It would be cool. Imagine - you go on your vacation or anywhere - you strap your camera on you so you could make high quality photos where ever you go, and while sitting in a bus or a car to get there you simply watch a movie you recompressed for that ocasion.

I have SONY DSC-W5, it has a nice 2.5" LCD screen just begging to be used as a movie player - I mean - so close, so obviously possible so easily achievable, so near, alas all my efforts to recompress it correctly for the firmware failed.
(Video: MPEG-1 30fps, Audio: MPEG-1 32kHz Mono; and then addiional settings for datarate and frame tanslation for the MPEG-1 style video)

If there is no utility that could help me recompress the movie to be used on my W5, what digital camera should I buy to be able to do just so.
GoTo is offline   Reply With Quote