Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:25 AM   #41

Just added Canon SD300 (4.0MP, 35-105mm, 130g w/o batteries and card, 86x53x21mm, $399) and Canon SD200 (3.2MP, 35-105mm, 115g w/o b+c, 86x53x21mm, $299). They also supports up to 1 minute of 60 fps QVGA (320x240) movies. There is no limit (other than the capacity of the SD card) on the other movie modes.

On paper these cameras looks really good to me. They are the smallest cameras on the list so far, have 35mm as the starting point on wide angle (yes! can't stand the 38mm starting point most camera have), have a AF lamp, AND adds a 60fps mode! Now I can't wait to see the picture quality.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:32 AM   #42

On the Canon SD200 / SD300, they also go by the names of IXUS30 /IXUS40 (Europe) and IXY40 / IXY50 (Japan).
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:57 PM   #43

Samsung has announced at least two cameras that will make it to this list, but the details are so limited that I can't add it to the top listing. All I know besides it taking 30 fps at 640x480 videos at this point (from LetsGoDigital.org) is that the Digimax A5 is 5 MP and the Digimax A6 is 6 MP and some minor information. Not even a picture yet. Will update when more info is available.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:10 PM   #44

Just added Samsung V70 (7MP, 38-114, 190 grams w/o b+c?, ?? price) and Samsung A5 (5MP, 38-114, 166 grams w/o b+c?, ?? price). The V70 is a MPEG4 format. Samsung A6 will be added when I have more info.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:38 PM   #45

Added the Samsung A6 (just like the A5 only 6MP) and moved the Fujifilm F810 into the list "available" in the USA (not until October).

I also found the type of QuickTime used on the Nikon 8700, Nikon 5200 and Olympus C-770 is the .MOV format.

I had wondered if the quality of the movies would drop using MPEG4 since the file size is just a tiny fraction of all the other formats. Since the Olympus C-770 does both MPEG4 and MOV formats I looked at that review. Steve used the same scene using two different settings and the MPEG4 quality was really bad (very bad pixelation). I then went and looked at all the other samples of MPEG4 at 30 fps at 640x480 that I could find on this site and found that ALL of them were much lower quality. I am not willing to make to trade of longer filming time for this much reduction in quality. I had heard people saying they only wanted MPEG4, but unless some manufacturer can do a whole lot better than what I saw on these cameras, I now say anything BUT MPEG4
Old Sep 24, 2004, 7:10 AM   #46

I've just downloaded and seen movie sample from Optio MX. I was worried by the fact it is not native mpeg4, but converted to MOV. However, it is really good, just aperture problems that make it look lighter or darker sometimes, but no pixelation at all.
How are you playing it? As said, I've donwloaded the file and played with Xine over Linux.
mar_isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:58 AM   #47

mar_isa wrote:
Quote:
I've just downloaded and seen movie sample from Optio MX. I was worried by the fact it is not native mpeg4, but converted to MOV. However, it is really good, just aperture problems that make it look lighter or darker sometimes, but no pixelation at all.
How are you playing it? As said, I've donwloaded the file and played with Xine over Linux.
I don't know why that file is a .MOV format - makes me wonder what is going on. I find it hard to believe that Steve would convert the file since you need to see the original file to make any analysis. Is this really a file taken with this camera or something left over from a different camera? Is it converted? If converted, by camera or Steve?

As to the pixelation issue, look at the dog (especially the tail) and go frame by frame. I am using a G4 iMac and just clickly directly on the sample. On some samples this downloads it to my computer desktop and other times it opens the file up and runs it. With this file it just ran it. I don't know how to tell it to download it.

This file being .MOV also makes me wonder if I correctly changed the Olympus C-770, Nikon 5200 and Nikon 8700 from the generic QuickTime format to the .MOV format. On the Nikons I feel pretty confident since that is what there other cameras do. Anyone know for sure on the Olympus?
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:28 PM   #48

Other than the one mentioned earlier in this thread, what cameras on this list are capable of 25fps PAL - and is the resolution 768x576? I work both in the US and the UK and would ideally like one that was switchable.

If I had to make a choice I'd go for the PAL specs - are the Canon Ixus (UK) models PAL? I would think 30fps/640x480 is pretty useless for PAL countries.
jasonfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:29 PM   #49

Hi I'm new to the whole video thing so forgive me if what I says sounds stupid or makes no sense. I was reading the posts about .MOV and MPEG4 and I happen to own an Optio MX. It claims to use MPEG4 and I'm sure it does but it seems to save the files as .MOV. Can anyone explain this to me? Also I did notice that the video even at highes quality was slighlty pixelated when enlarged, is this just the nature of the format? Or is there software that can clean this up or convert it some how? Thanks -Jon-
xmustangmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:31 AM   #50

xmustangmaniacx wrote:
Quote:
....* I was reading the posts about .MOV and MPEG4 and I happen to own an Optio MX.* It claims to use MPEG4 and I'm sure it does but it seems to save the files as .MOV. Can anyone explain this to me? ...
Thanks for your help in clearing this issue up. Now it is known that it is the camera and not Steve that "converted" the file to .MOV. Usually MPEG4 format is save as .MP4, but I am not familar enough with these formating issues to know for sure what is going on here.

xmustangmaniacx wrote:
Quote:
....Also I did notice that the video even at highes quality was slighlty pixelated when enlarged, is this just the nature of the format? Or is there software that can clean this up or convert it some how? Thanks -Jon-
On the pixelation issue, I'm pretty certain that this is from the camera compressing the file too much (compression artifacts). Just like when you are taking still pictures, the process is one way. You can always later compress a picture or movie more to make it smaller, but you are never going to get back the details that are missing using post processing techniques. As far as I know, the only hope is for a software update from the manufacturer.

Whether this pixelation or compression artifacts are the nature of the MPEG-4 format, that is what many of us here are trying to figure out. Anybody know? Has anyone else looked at the Pentax Optio MX sample video and seen or not seen the problems I am taking about (look at the dog, especially the tail, frame by frame without enlarging the movie). The effect was more pronounced in the MPEG-4 format of the Olympus C-770 camera that does both MPEG-4 .MP4 and Quicktime .MOV formats.

mar_isa did you look again at the videos frame by frame looking at the dog (especially the tail)? Do you still not see the large color squares? I'm asking this since sometime it is the fault of a person's computer (not powerful enough) that causes problems in viewing a video. I'm trying to narrow down if the fault might be my computer (not likely - only a few months old and fairly powerful) or if you just didn't notice it.