Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2004, 1:55 PM   #61

Oops, you already had the new Samsung. Here's the new Epson L500V-

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04...pson_l500v.asp

IF you Babelfish the Japanese page, it does 640 x 480 30 FPS until the card is full-

Quote:
VGA (640×480pixel) and 30 scenes/audio equipped animated picture (MotionJPEG) of the smooth movement of second, until capacity of the memory card becomes all the way, continuing, it is possible to photograph.
http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/produc...00v/l500v1.htm

What's interesting in this camera is the 2.5 inch screen. It also has USB 2, for much faster transfers.

madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:24 PM   #62

Thank Madmaxmedia. I was already noting all the details of this camera while you were posting to me. You beat me to the punch this time! Had to edit this to give you first credit. I have added Epson L500V (5.3MP, lens 34-102mm, 165 grams w/o b+c, no $ est) which has no viewfinder.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:47 PM   #63

So which camera did you finally go with? :roll:

Have read about a lot of cameras on this thread but which one to pick?
nihit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:28 AM   #64

nihit wrote:
Quote:
So which camera did you finally go with? :roll:

Have read about a lot of cameras on this thread but which one to pick?
Well I sort of have decided to wait it out more. This is easy for me to do since I already own the Nikon 3700, but I was trying to find a better camera in this area. None of the cameras are perfect for me.

I figure that now that the Germany show is over, that it will be several months before we see any more announcements. Thus I plan on weaning myself of these camera websites (yes, I got addicted to the camera news for a while). Now I will just be checking this site when someone posts to one of the threads that I follow. So if a new camera DOES come along, please meantion it here so it can be added to the list.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:10 AM   #65

I Still have not Bought my first digital camera as yet but have had the fortune of trying out quite a few over the past year. I am from the 35mm era.. i have an olympus compact and a Pentax SLR with a few lenses ( which I hardly use). I bought a canon camcorder Mv450i about 2 1/2 years ago and used it a lot for videoing the kids and holidays. I discovered it had a stills feature of 640 x 480 and started to use it a lot as i hated carrying 2 cameras. That is i suppose how i realised how painfull 35mm photography was (waiting 2 to 3 weeks for the results sometimes longer if i forgot to get the film processed!!!!) I also worked out that to get the same quality as 35mm i had to get a digital camera of about 8 megapixels ( if i wanted to blow them up to a poster size I did this often) So this year i decided i would get a digital camera no more waiting around!!!
Then i found this thread about the camcorder side of things which is just as important to me to make short video clips ( not long movies) but they had to be good ( not exlcellent) quality.
So... I think i have narrowed it down to 2 cameras
1. Sony p150 - Good points- 1. Small 2.Good quality pictures 3. Fast(i have only realised how important this feature is when photographying children!) 4.Good lens quality 5.Good video 6.Good screen (size and clarity) 7. well made 8. Battery life - bad points- 1.memory stick pro (expensive) 2. Lens range 38-114
2. Sony V3 - Good points- 1. lens range 34-136 2.Good quality pictures 3. Fast 4.Good lens quality 5.Good video 6.Bigger 2.5" screen (size and clarity) 7. well made 8. Battery life 9.Compact flash cards (cheaper) Bad points - 1. bigger not really pocked friendly but smaller than slr 2. Video still on expensive Memory stick pro

The p150 is available now(£310) V3 November 4th ( about £450) the price difference is not that important to me if i am getting a more suitable product

I like the products from Fuji and Olympus but hate the xd cards for price, speed and size availabilty

can we discuss the various merits of the cameras listed especially from people who have prehaps have owned them.
msajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:51 PM   #66

It seems the new "MPEGMovie4TV" compression that Sony is using on the DSC-M1 is vastly more efficient than its current "MPEG Movie VX". I have a DSC-P73 and while the MPEG Movie VX clips are really nice, they do sure fill up that card fast.

I have a 2GB memory stick pro card in my P73 and even with that vast capacity, it can only hold about 24 minutes of the high quality video.But MPEGMovie4TV would fit almost two hours of the highest quality video on my card!

I'm not interested in the M1 because of its weak flash and awkward design, but it sure would be cool if Sony adds the MPEGMove4TV capability to its next line of digital still cameras...
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 10:10 AM   #67
IC

Is there ANYWHERE I can get hold of sample videos (besides Steves or DC resource) taken from various camerasso that I can compare their video modes??I can't decide between the Canon S1 IS, Fuji s5100, Sony w1 or p150 and theMinolta z3. I'm close to buying the Canon because it is said to be the clear winner in terms of video, but I get the feeling I'm going to be limited by 3mp in the future plus there are the low-light focusing issues. My second choice is the Fuji, but there are so few reviews availableeven though its widely available in Europe (the s5500 that is).

Surely there must be a way owners of these cameras can make their videosavailable?

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 10:49 AM   #68

IC wrote:
Quote:
Is there ANYWHERE I can get hold of sample videos (besides Steves or DC resource) taken from various cameras*so that I can compare their video modes??*I can't decide between the Canon S1 IS, Fuji s5100, Sony w1 or p150 and the*Minolta z3....

Surely there must be a way owners of these cameras can make their videos*available?
Well in the few minutes that I looked using Google with the camera name and sample video, I came up with these two site (Canon S1 and Minolta Z3). Didn't look at many of the results so may be more to easily find.

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss1is/sample-e.html
http://82.42.128.43/konica_minolta_dimage_z3_review.htm

The problem that people have in posting videos is that they take up a lot of space. Most people don't have the ability to post or email something that large. Then there is the problem that even if you do have a webpage that can handle something large, most webpages give away your what your main email address is. This is a problem due to spammers. I for one, am not willing to get tons of spam simply because I let people know what my website is. Sad fact of the world today.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 2:42 PM   #69

One thing I've noticed about these digicams that do high quality movies, is that you notice the constant refocusing more. On my P73 for example, unless you set autofocus to "infinity", it's constantly trying to refocus while you record amovie, even if the subject is in the same place. The constant blurring and sharpening of the image will drive you nuts.

I just leave my movie mode set to infinity autofocus all the time. But a more elegant solution would be nice.

How do camcorders do such a great job autofocusing?
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:34 PM   #70

I just found a camera that was announced a month ago that should have made this list! It is the Minolta A200 (8 MP, 28-200mm, 505g w/o b+c, ? price) and it also has a 800x600 at 15fps video mode. Some other nice features are anti-shake, swivel LCD and remote control. One negative is that it has a 15 minute (or remaining capacity of storage medium) time limit no matter which video setting you use. The release date and price is still unknown. On paper it looks like a good advance feature full size camera.