Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:17 AM   #71

I've been looking around for a digital camera with a good movie mode for some time. I'm glad I found this forum!

Anyway I've got two sites with reviews and recorded movies as well.

www.dcresource.com
www.anandtech.com - under digital cameras section

hope it helps
hungryjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:22 AM   #72

Is MPEGMovie4TV the same as MPEG4? Because the current MPEG4 cameras don't have very good quality video, and I'm wondering if the DSC-M1 will change that.
hungryjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:11 AM   #73

hungryjax wrote:
Quote:
Is MPEGMovie4TV the same as MPEG4? Because the current MPEG4 cameras don't have very good quality video, and I'm wondering if the DSC-M1 will change that.
Yes MPEGMovie4TV=MPEG4
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:35 PM   #74

Apparently the older Epson L-410 can do 640 x 480 30 FPS too. And according to the manual it can record until the memory card is full.

It's only $200 at Amazon, and about $180 at buydig.com, not bad. It also uses USB 2 for much faster transfers (great for all those large video files we'll be transferring...)

I searched in vain look for any sort of review or sample images, but couldn't find ANY. Epson made some pretty well-received cameras in the past, it would seem this one fell throught the cracks.

The 2 things that are missing from this camera for me is MF and a AF illuminator. But look at that price!!!
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:15 PM   #75

madmaxmedia wrote:
Quote:
Apparently the older Epson L-410 can do 640 x 480 30 FPS too. And according to the manual it can record until the memory card is full....

I searched in vain look for any sort of review or sample images, but couldn't find ANY. Epson made some pretty well-received cameras in the past, it would seem this one fell throught the cracks.

The 2 things that are missing from this camera for me is MF and a AF illuminator. But look at that price!!!
This Epson camera is hard to find info on. Epson needs to learn how to announce their products better. No one seems to even realize these cameras are available. I was able to find this Japanese website that had two sample images. Have no idea what the review says about the camera though.
http://www.digital.idv.tw/dc-test/Ep...pcL410-end.htm

If you look at the last photo of the camera, you will see what looks like the red light that comes from an AF illuminator, so I would assume that this camera DOES have that feature.

You can read up a small amount of info at
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=45943659
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:28 PM   #76

Now that the camera list has grown, I have decided to group the cameras in 5 categories. I was finding what one site called Ultra compact another site would call compact. To try to be consistant, I decided to use cubic mm to determine my breaking points. This will not be perfect, since I am just using what ever the manufacture says are their cameras dimensions and multiplying the three numbers together. Some manufactures however say "excluding protrusions" and other will measure the widest point. So this will NOT be totally fair, but it is the best I can do. I feel it is fairer than my previous grouping though. I tried to look for natural breaking points.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 7:30 PM   #77

Nice find on that review! It's actually in Chinese, but close enough-

The sample images look pretty good actually. The cat is a relatively standard flash shot. The stone sculpture is not only ISO 400, but also 1/23 second exposure time. I originally thought there was heavy noise reduction to reduce ISO noise, but some of the lack of detail in the photo could be camera shake due to long exposure.

That LED looks a little small to be an AF illuminator, don't you think? I thought it might be a timer light. The reason I say this is that the DCResource.com site has some basic specs, and it indicates there is no AF illuminator.

If it had MF I might have actually bought it for the $180-$200. I ended up buying a SD200 from newegg.com for $280, I should get it in a couple of days and will post impressions here.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 1:38 PM   #78

Some test videos from the Canon SD200 (not mine)-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10654786

One is in pretty dim lighting, yet still looks great. There's not really any significant noise at all, although the camera does seem to be exposing for the screen rather than the teacher.

The atrium shot looks very good.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 10:05 AM   #79

I just moved the Sony T3 to the "not available in the USA" list. Sony has changed its mind about offering this camera in the states since the T1 is still selling well here and doesn't want to hurt those sales.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:22 PM   #80

Great work so far, Beverly W! I have been following the thread for quite a while but this is my first time writing on this board. I too am interested in a camera with good video capabilities.

There is a mysterious camera, the Olympus IR-500, which seems to record movies at 640x480 30 fps. Interesting features include anti-shakestabilization during movie recording and a 2.5 inch 210,000 swivel LCD.Estimated price $499

Links:

http://www.chait.net/index.php?p=440

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=1147&fl=2

Any thoughts?
QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote