Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:58 AM   #81

QDravrah wrote:
Quote:
....There is a mysterious camera, the Olympus IR-500, which seems to record movies at 640x480 30 fps. ...Any thoughts?
I looked at many different sites that list this camera and no one seems to know at what frame rate the movies are recorded at. In the past in similarly vaguely worded press releases, the cameras have ended up being 15 fps or less. Also the starting point on the wide angle range is 40mm. To me that is unusable.

I prefer the wide angle to be 35mm or less. Unfortunately many digital cameras start at 38mm. I am very happy to see some of the cameras with the 640x480 at 30fps movies are starting to come out at 28mm for the wide angle setting. Maybe the camera manufacturers are starting to listen to the complaints on these boards about the cameras not going wide enough.

I will not be tracking this camera to see if they ever state what the frame rate per second actually is. If it does end up being 30 fps, let me know and I will add it to the list.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:39 PM   #82

Hey I don't think anyone mentioned them yet, but here are two cameras that may be worth checking out. The Fisher FVDC1 and the Sanyo Xacti DMX-C4. As far as I know the DMX-C4 is Japan only but thre are some places in the US like here http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/san2indigcam.htmlthat are selling it.The DMX-C4 looks very promising: 4mp, 5.8xoptical/10x digital, MPEG4 [email protected]@ 31minutes on 512SD, 1.8" LCD, image stabilization and the ability to take stills while recording videoor capture stillsfrom video.However it is curentlysomewhere in the $800 range. I personally didnt really want to spend much over $400 for a digital still/video camera so I bought a Pentax Optio MX about a month ago and love it, except for a few minor flaws. Yes it does have some shutter lag, the freeze image LCD while focusingis annoying, and Image stabilization would have been nice. But I have learned to compensate for those and live with them. Mainly I got it for its looks, ergonomics, and video storage capactiy (which despite some reviews the quality isn't so bad as long as there is an ample light source). Anyways just wanted to let you all know about those cameras. Thanks, Jon.
xmustangmaniacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:47 PM   #83

xmustangmaniacx wrote:
Quote:
Hey I don't think anyone mentioned them yet, but here are two cameras that may be worth checking out.* The Fisher FVDC1 and the Sanyo Xacti DMX-C4.* As far as I know the DMX-C4 is Japan only but thre are some places in the US like here http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/san2indigcam.html*that are selling it.**The DMX-C4 looks very promising: 4mp, 5.8x*optical/10x digital, MPEG4 [email protected]*@ 31minutes on 512SD, 1.8" LCD, image stabilization and the ability to take stills while recording video*or capture stills*from video.*However it is curently*somewhere in the $800 range....
I checked this out and the Fisher FVD-C1 is the same thing as the Sanyo Xacti DMX-C4, it just depends on what country you are in as to what they name it. This "camera" is being considered a camcorder by the industry. Sanyo is calling it a cameracorder. An additional piece of information is the lense range of 38-220mm. I'm going to go with the industries classification and thus leave this one off the list of CAMERAS that can.... I could find reviews of how well the industry ranks this as a camcorder, but very little information on how it does as a camera.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:50 AM   #84
DvD

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
xmustangmaniacx wrote:
Quote:
Hey I don't think anyone mentioned them yet, but here are two cameras that may be worth checking out.? The Fisher FVDC1 and the Sanyo Xacti DMX-C4.? As far as I know the DMX-C4 is Japan only but thre are some places in the US like here http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/san2indigcam.html?that are selling it.??The DMX-C4 looks very promising: 4mp, 5.8x?optical/10x digital, MPEG4 [email protected][email protected] 31minutes on 512SD, 1.8" LCD, image stabilization and the ability to take stills while recording video?or capture stills?from video.?However it is curently?somewhere in the $800 range....
I checked this out and the Fisher FVD-C1 is the same thing as the Sanyo Xacti DMX-C4, it just depends on what country you are in as to what they name it. This "camera" is being considered a camcorder by the industry. Sanyo is calling it a cameracorder. An additional piece of information is the lense range of 38-220mm. I'm going to go with the industries classification and thus leave this one off the list of CAMERAS that can.... I could find reviews of how well the industry ranks this as a camcorder, but very little information on how it does as a camera.
There are two cameras. C1 and C4. Fisher is just another name for Sanyo but Sanyo (Fisher too) has two MPEG4 cameras. C1 has 3.2 MP and C4 has 4 MP and few other things.

You can find C1 for only 333$ even in black. C4 is more expensive, not only because it is better, but also because it is completely new. It will also get cheaper.
DvD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:01 PM   #85
DvD

Btw I like your page.

I am also looking for some MPEG4 camera with VGA 30fps video and 3 MP picture. I thought that Sanyo Xacti C1 is the only one. Now I see there are more such cameras.

C1 and C4 are both on www.sanyo.de to see
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:08 PM   #86

DvD wrote:
Quote:
There are two cameras. C1 and C4. Fisher is just another name for Sanyo but Sanyo (Fisher too) has two MPEG4 cameras. C1 has 3.2 MP and C4 has 4 MP and few other things.

You can find C1 for only 333$ even in black. C4 is more expensive, not only because it is better, but also because it is completely new. It will also get cheaper.
I got caught taking the word of one of the early websites that I hit when I googled either the Fisher C1 or Sanyo C4. If I had really looked at the specs, I would have been able to tell that they were different. I got caught not double checking my sources. When will I learn that you should always have two or more sources for EVERY piece of information? Oh well. I had quickly looked at the other cameracorder, but since they looked the same and all ready "knew" that they were the same device, I didn't bother going in deep into the information. Consider me spanked.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:57 PM   #87
DvD

Beverly W wrote:
Quote:
DvD wrote:
Quote:

I got caught taking the word of one of the early websites that I hit when I googled either the Fisher C1 or Sanyo C4. If I had really looked at the specs, I would have been able to tell that they were different. I got caught not double checking my sources. When will I learn that you should always have two or more sources for EVERY piece of information? Oh well. I had quickly looked at the other cameracorder, but since they looked the same and all ready "knew" that they were the same device, I didn't bother going in deep into the information. Consider me spanked.

no problem.

Few more things. I do not have Sanyo camera but I am up to date with them since the begining. So here is whole story. This 2 cameras belong to Xacti serie. It started with Sanyo Xacti VPC J1. Then came J2. Those were basicly good 3.2 MPdigital cameras. They had from beginning VGA videoat 30fps but no MPEG4. First Sanyo with MPEG4 is C1 and with big zoom and still picture during video. Recently came C4 that has 4 MP and antishake.Similary J4 joined J serie recently. As whole J serie J4 does not have MPEG4 but has 4MP.

I think all of these cameras should join your list since they are all very good digital cameras and C serie had good camcorders but camera capabilities are not lost, since they are improvements of J serie. And all thesehave real VGA video at 30 fps.

Actually long time they were the only afordable VGA video digital cameras. Btw I see you don't like to mess with cameras that are not present in US. And these are present in US. But...

Also in Europe, where I am they are hard to find. Onestly, the only two places where I can allways findareAmazon and eBay. I supose it is so in US too.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:00 PM   #88

DvD wrote:
Quote:
....I think all of these cameras should join your list since they are all very good digital cameras and C serie had good camcorders but camera capabilities are not lost, since they are improvements of J serie. And all these*have real VGA video at 30 fps....
Well I went ahead and added the two cameracorders to the list, but noted that the industry considers these as camcorders. Since camcorders are much harder to find all the information on (I try to verify everything before putting it on the list), I really don't want to continue down this path. I just don't have enough time to do all the searching and investigating. Besides, most people that visit this site place more weight on getting good still pictures than on getting good videos, otherwise we would be on a camcorder forum.

In the ideal world, reviewers for cameras and camcorders would either do an in depth analysis of ALL the features on a devise or, failing that, camera reviewers would analyse the quality of camcorder stills and camcorder reviewers would analyse the quality of movies on cameras. That way we would have a better way to judge the quality of all the features. However I realize that they have a hard enough time getting the reviews of just the devises in their portion of the market.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:13 PM   #89

no Has yet compared how good the video quality is on some of the new cameras.
I am about to buy a new camera and was thinking about the sony P150. after some research i love the photo quality of it but have learned nothing about the video quality?

Can anyone comment or have one and perhaps post a video clip.

I also liked the sony v3 but am a bit concerned about the size of it.
Anyone with a Sony p100 can you tell me what the wide angle lens adapter is like and what kind of results does it produce.

Thanks a response would be appreciated.
msajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:21 PM   #90

msajid, why don't you look under "sample pictures" for the various reviews in this site. In most cases Steve has posted a sample movie file as well.

After some excessive web research, I have gotten the impression that the sony VGA movie mode is not all that impressive and is actually interpolated 320x240. Youwill see what I'm talking about when you at the fine resolution, for example, details in faces, or signs.

You should take a look at the following thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28

and judge for yourself. There is clearly a difference in video quality between the different "640x480" video modes, if you look at video samples from various cameras from Steves Digicams or DCResouce. For example, to me it appears that the Fuji E550 and 810, the Canon S1, the Sanyos, and the Canon SD200/300 have excellent movie modes while the Sonys or Pentax 750z or Nikon 5200 appear closer to interpolated 320x480. Judge for yourself! However, complicating matters is that the Sonys actually have some options you can control for the movie mode (exposure, focus setting, WB, etc) while the cameras with the better movie mode appear to have pretty much zero options except for movie resolution, which is a minus for me. Plus, media type is an important factor, as you can get a 1 or maybe 2Gig SD card for the price of a 512Meg XD card!

I have been looking thepast 2 monthsfor a somewhat compact digital camera that can take decent stills, has shutter/aperture priority modes, has an AF assist lamp, and has TRUE 640x480 video mode. No luck so far. Only camera I could find that meets this criteria is the Fuji 810, looks pretty good, but this has terrible battery life and the aforementioned XD media problem.

Im planning to wait it out a couple more months.

QDravrah is offline   Reply With Quote