Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:49 PM   #1

I am new to Cameras' digital world. Thus confused which camera to buy?

I have few options

- Nikon 5200

-Sony DSC P100

-Sony DSC P120

I went to buy Nikon 5200 at B&H and the salesman tried to convince me for Sony DSC P100. Instead of getting convinced; I got confused. And I came back without buying the camera.

I read few reviews about Sony DSC P100 & Nikon 5200...but still not able to decide.

Can anybody advise me....??

Thanks for any input!!!
tech70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:10 PM   #2

Here is my own experience, I had to make a hard choice bw Sony P100 anh Nikon CP5200 after reading some reviews on the webs. However, when I tested both cams in the shop, I definitely went to Nikon.

This is my test: I try to take a shot of the price tag from o distance of 40cm by both cams. The Sony never brought me sharp or clear pic (the characters always blurred and had shadows. But, the Nikon works well.

Sony cannot catch the details for the pics taken outdoors, but Nikon is great.

For indoor photo, Sony's flash is very weak, but Nikon is definitely better.

Nikon is better

(Slow reply, but just share my experiences)
ben_monash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:42 PM   #3

ben_monash wrote:
Quote:
*snip*
This is my test: I try to take a shot of the price tag from o distance of 40cm by both cams. The Sony never brought me sharp or clear pic (the characters always blurred and had shadows. But, the Nikon works well.
*snip*
But the P100 has a macro mode (you probably have to activate it) that should allow the camera to take pics about 10 cm...about 4 inches.. from the camera.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:31 AM   #4
blr

I'd go with the Nikon. I used to have a Sony W1 (basically the same camera as P100 in a different body) and sold it after only a month of use. Sony has two major problems on these cameras. First, in low light the AF system sometimes gives a false reading that AF is locked (sensor turns green) while in fact the focus is not locked. This gives out of focus pictures. Many people have complained about out of focus pictures when using flash indoors in low light. Second, Sony uses a too agressive noise reduction which washes out fine detail from the pictures.

Nikon has some nice features that Sony lacks like selectable AF points and Best Shot Selector. Finlly Nikon uses cheaper SD cards compared to Sony overpriced MS Pro ones. If you don't need 5 MP resolution, consider the Coolpix 4200 as well. From what I've seen images from 4200 are very good indeed.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Administrator

This was an old query guys. This forum memberended up with aCanon S60 (after it initially looked like he might even buy the Nikon D70):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=184765

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:44 PM   #6

well forget about the Sony when it comes to 5 MP P&S
cameras.they have less detail due to builtin high noise reduction,always blurry pics even at outdoors in auto mode due to slow shutters speed,not so real colours and some focus problems as told by 6 out of 10 users.If i were u definately at any cost i will stick to Nikon.i own 3700 which i buy after rejecting W1 by testing both of them in store.

fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote