Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:31 AM   #1

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase my first digital camera. I'm looking for a point-and-shoot with all or most of these requirements:

- 5 or 6 Megapixels

- Great image quality (Probably the most important to me)

- Compact or Ultracompact

- Something that's good for beginners, but also has some more advanced features

- Something within the $500-600 range

I'm probably being pretty picky, but I just want to get the best camera possible. At the moment the Sony DSC-T1 seems to fit most of my requirements, but I'd like a few more opinions (I'm also a little worried about that camera's low flash capabilities; can anyone with a DSC-T1 shed a little light on that subject?).

Thanks,

Andrew
Rusty9488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:45 AM   #2

Before JimC jumps in here...the Minolta G500 is a great little camera that does all of your functions!
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:07 AM   #3

Thanks, I checked that out and that one could be a definite possibility for me. One other thing though, I prefer a nice large screen as opposed to a smaller one. The Minolta screen looks decent enough though.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:28 AM   #4

Sorry to double post, but I think I've found the perfect camera for me. I just read the review for the Konica Minolta x50 and I must say it seems to fulfill everything I was looking for in a camera. Anyone have any thoughts as to whether or not I should buy the x50?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:19 PM   #5

Rusty! If you read Steve's review on the X50, it is a slower camera and some precious moments can be lost tue to time lag it takes to record the buffer to the memory media. The digital worlld is sooo different from the 35 mm film, where you couldshoot a whole roll of 36 pictures in 15 or less seconds if you wanted to...

In digital world you need to give the camera a chance to write all info onto a "diskette" and then als oprocess the colors, shades, etc and write it all out.

The minolta does not have a video out, if it is important to you.... Sometimes when I am on vacation, I find it easy to go to your hotel room, connect the camera to the TV and see all your shots, and you can return and re-take some shots if need be....

The second IMPORTANCE for me is the screen..... The Sony's T1 or DSC W1 have a great 2.5 " screen, resolution could have been better, but it is still a BIG screen compared to other cameras..... Have you tried the Pentax optio s4i ? A new S50 is on its way as we speak, and these are great small cameras with a LCD and a viefinder, so if it is bright and sunny, you can use the little "hole" viewfider instead of the LCD and still frame your shot.... There are no perfect cameras, and if you are coming from a 35mm film worlsd, it is very noticeable in a few weeks that you missing all manual features on a digital camera.... Some people will argue that you can always post-process in Photoshop or other software, but here is another thing you need to learn... WELL< it was a different world where I used my Nikon(model of 1948!), totally manual and still has fenomenal picture taking qualities, with a real Carl Zeiss lens F1.0 - fast as hell, but the newer digital toys are just that, toys, to make you spend a lot of $$$$$ and still yearn for more.... Dont fall into the trap, get the 4megapix CanonA85, or the Canons60 and it will be good... WHAT TYPE of photographer are you, is it just a ocasional hobby or a serious "desease"?
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:04 PM   #6

Are you sure the Minolta doesn't have a video out? I could've sworn that I saw a picture somewhere where it did.As for how serious I am about photography, I'd say somewhere between the two options you listed. I'll check out the two cameras you listed, as I haven't looked into those yet. And just so you know, this camera is really my first serious venture into the world of photography, 35mm or otherwise, so I don't really know much about operating a 35mm.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:03 PM   #7

The X50 does have video and audio out. They are accessed via a custom usb breakout cable that comes with the camera.

The x50 looked like the perfect new digicam to me, too, and I bought it as soon as I could. Sadly, Steve's review was far to kind to the camera when it comes to image noise in the default setup. Do a search for x50 on this board and you'll find my sample images of the noise problem. I have set the camera for ISO50 and it has mostly solved the image issue (though it does make handheld no-flash shots difficult). I'm still disappointed with the noise in skintones, though I suspect that it's a function of the color mask rather than the ccd noise at this point.

There is a bit of lens flare in backlit subjects (more than your 35mm will have with decent lenses).

Also, the zoom lens is varifocal, i.e. zooming will not result in a continually in-focus image as it will with good 35mm optics. This is compounded by the inability of the camera to focus and zoom at the same time (one motor w/ clutch?). It makes the video capture funtion fairly useless except for limited cases (fixed focal length), though for a digicam you shouldn't be using it for video very much.

Overzeetop is offline   Reply With Quote