Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:58 AM   #1

Hello.

I want to buy a starter digital camera. My choices are NIKON COOLPIX 3700 or SONY DSC73. What is in your opinion better choice. I need good image quality indoor and 640x480 30fps movies.

Thanks
mortel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2
e1

please help....i also need to know which one to buy...sony has great 4Mpixel and nikon is small compact ang light too...
e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:24 AM   #3

My favourit for this time is SONY. Has a better price. And you E1?
mortel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:16 PM   #4

I would look at how limited in wide angle range the Sony DSC-P73 is. Indoors you can't back up too far in a room so you need a good wide angle range. If you step up to the DSC-P93 for $50 (or less), one of the things you will get is a slightly better range of 38-114mm (vs the 73's range of 39-117mm).

However one advantage of the Sony over the Nikon is that you can add an adaptor ring and lenses or filters. Thus you could actually end up with a better wide angle range than the Nikon (range of 35-105mm).

I have the Nikon 3700 and am having glare problems in the videos when I shoot any really high contrast video (into sun, firework, light bouncing off a window). I believe a polarizing filter would eliminate this problem, but the camera does not come with the option to add filters or lenses.

Also their is a video sound lag problem with the Nikon 3700 without a higher speed card and then there might still be a problem.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote