Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:26 AM   #1

I want to buy my first prosumer-level digital SLR but can afford to wait a few months. The obvious choice for me was/is the Rebel unless anyone knows different :-)

My question is - does anyone know of what might be coming down the line in the near future (say around 3-4 months) or should I just take the plunge now?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

TIA

Richard
jjoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:45 AM   #2

by all accounts, the D70 is a much better dSLR (hence the recent price drop of the Rebel (in the UK at least)). Getting hold of a D70 is not so easy but if you are in no rush you could get a shop to order one for you.
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:28 PM   #3

I was very interested in the D70. However, my 35 mmm film camera is an EOS 100 and I was hoping to be able to use the lenses I had for that with the Rebel. In particular I have a very nice 35-80 Canon EF lens as well as various Sigma lenses fropm 18 mm up to 300. It seems a shame to start a Nikon collection, though I suppose I could buy Nikon mounts for them?

I am surprised that you say the D70 is a "much" better camera than the Rebel. The reviews I read seemed to suggest that it was a close run thing.

That's why I was asking if there was anything coming down the track such as an upgraded Rebel or other equivalent camera. I am sure that a sub $1000 dSLR must be like a gauntlet thrown down to the other manufacturers. Surely they will respond?

What do you think?

Richard
jjoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:50 PM   #4

canon's lenses are better now....stick with them...

i saw a thread talking about a canon 20D....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:17 PM   #5

The eternal problem - to change or not to change. Once committed to a certain make one is really stuck with it.However, read Steve's reviews - he rates the D70 much higher than the Rebel, and it is unlikely, given the timescale, that Canon will introduce a new version in the next year. Luckily, since you have Sigma lenses you can buy the mounts for them, and I don't think you will be disappointed if you change. Whatever we buy, it is out of date because the new model is already on the drawing board, but given that the decision must be made, the D70 wins hands down over the Rebel, or 300 as it is known in Europe. Do remember though, that yourlenses will be plus 50% in digital format, that is 18 becomes 27 and 300 becomes 450 when you change to digital. Best of luck.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote