Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:39 AM   #1

Iseem to be unables to decide which of these Cameras will give me the sharpest photo.. the Z3 has been given poor reviews on the Minolta Forum,,,,and my other choice is the Panasonic FZ20..

HELP:roll:
bcelliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:44 AM   #2

sorry,,,I should have read before sending

that is KM Z3

Joy
bcelliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:47 AM   #3

Well I, for one, am waiting for the Panasonic to come available. (At least that's how my mind is made up today.) It's bigger and heavier, but I just get the sense, from reading about and handling inshopsthe KM Z3 and the earlier Panasonic FZ10, that the Panasonic will have the edge in overall image quality. Also, it has an ordinary hotshoe - and with all my SLRs in the past, I've found an external flash is necessary for the best quality indoor pictures. The KM has a hot shoe, but it is for Minolta flashes only, and they are expensive (nearly as much as the camera!). Finally, I didn't like the tiny LCD on the back of the Z3 which I found difficult to read (older eyes...) Those are my reasons. I can't imagine, though, that you'd be terribly disappointed with either.
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:05 AM   #4

I agree with hdburnham. I think the FZ20 looks better. Could be wrong though.

:homey:
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:06 AM   #5

bouncerbenji wrote:
Quote:
I agree with hdburnham. I think the FZ20 looks better. Could be wrong though.

I always do this: read every review, change my mind a dozen times, and then buy something and five minutes later think: 'I wish I'd got the other one'. I did it with my laptop, my hi-fi, my SLR film cameras, the lot. This is a result of having too many choices; I reckon the human brain just wasn't built to have to choose amongsix dozen different models that all, basically, do the same thing. (Say what you like about Communism, but at least having only one type of thing available saved a lot of time messing around. )

To try to get myself out of this trap, I try to say: 'It doesn't matter; as long as it takes good pictures (and most digicams do), what does it matter that buried in a menu somewhere is a feature I did/didn't need/doesn't work well'. So, I'm going to try to stop obsessing about digicams now, and narrow to three critera: (a) the reviews don't say its crap; (b) the most expensive camera I can afford and (c) the coolest ('Leica' looks good with a nice suit).

At the moment, I think the FZ20 with satisfy these.

But I might change my mind.

In all seriousness, though, there are only a few cameras out there with image stabilization that I consider a must. Next year, maybe every digicam will have it, and then how will I ever make up my mind??!!
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote