Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:10 AM   #1

As a novice in digital camera, I am in a delimma to choose between a sony DSC-W1 &

Nikon CP5200. Since both camera spec are quite close except sony offer 2.5" LCD

and nikon offer a well-shaped handcrip for easy one-hand operation,

can anyone advise me what to choose ?

tks in advance
leroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:26 PM   #2

Leroc! Read on DPREVIEW.COM the specs on both and you will see that the DSCW1 is a easier better toy.... LCD bigger, easier to compose the shots and also a better continuous mode and other features..... I had both cameras and liked the big LCD on the sony the most.... Alll else being even the same, LCD's do matter and the W2 is flatter and easier pocketable as well....
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 5:56 PM   #3

SalBolzano,

Can you please tell me about the performance of the Sony W1 with the flash on? I go through most of all digital camera review websites and never mention about this issue. I have a Sony P10 and it needs towait about 7-8 seconds after each shot with flash on. I am really disappointed with that. I am planning to buy a new one to replace my existing one. Would you please give me some idea of the W1?

Thanks!
menunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:02 PM   #4

tks, Salbalzano, for your advise.

Since you have both the camera, you might want to share with me what is the performancebetween both camera: ( I hope it is not too much to ask )

(1) 640 x 480 (30fps) movie mode with audio ? I read review about CP3700

with audio lagging after video recording. Does this happen to CP5200 ?

(2) Battery life ?

(3) The effectiveness using 'flash' in-door ?

(4) Do you have any sample to post using both camera, same setting shooting

on same object ?

tks in advance
leroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:30 AM   #5

I dont have the Nikon anymore, just the W1 which i am happy with. Battery life is good, the AA rechargeables are gret, the flash is fine, especially when you use the exernal slave flash you get great results with it... The internal flash is only up to 7-9 feet, so it is mostly for smaller groups... Outdoor it is good crisp images and of course it is not a professional but mostly a point and shoot with good movie 30fps images.... Remember that it is a digital still camera nad it is not for taking movies, in my opinion the manufacturers should better concentrate on adding picture taking abilities rather than adding a gimmicky movie taking.... In tha max. the W1 can store on a 128 MEG card a 3 minute video, why would anyone want it that long? There is a big problem in the inductry for us.... There is the ability to make a great video camera that will take a 3-4 megapix. still pictures, but if they do it, you would not be bying all these digital still cameras, so that got all of us by the @#$%S !! If you need a camera for just occasional gatherings or amateur hobby momentos shots, the W1 is a good camera, a lot of sites rave about it, some people have problems but is is all individual perception.... ?A picture that I like you may not like and so on.... Check out on PBASE.COM under "digital cameras" and see thousands of examples of each camera outhere and their pictures samples . One is here and it is great..... I
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:35 AM   #6

LEROC ! Check this out for more info from a good fellow :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28