Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:06 PM   #1

I have existing Pentax lenses (Sigma 28-70 2.8EX and Sigma 75-300 APO) with a Pentax ZX5n 35mm. I want to get back into SLR so my choices are to buy the Pentax *ist or start over with Nikon D70. Reviews of the Pentax have been mixed (pictures too soft). But, I either pay $1,200 for this body and use existing lenses, or pay $1,700 for D70 with 70-300 lens...what to do.....
rtnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2004, 3:38 AM   #2

Always a tough decision to change marques, but realistically you must look to the future, not the past. Years back Pentax were one of the leaders in SLR's - I remember fondly my S1A - along with Olympus and other marques who are really no longer in the race.There are now only two makes who are constantly investing in the future, and those are Nikon and Canon. The Rebel ruled for a year, but the D70 beats it by a long way (I tried both). Next year? Who knows, but we are talking now. We can wait for ever.

If you are wanting great pictures, and are serious about photography, then the D70 is the future, because you can add no matter what from the enormous range of Nikon lenses and accessories, always sure that what you have will be usable on something in the future. For example, I have an old Nikkor500mm mirror lens, bought years backfor my F2 manualwhich works on the D70! But I don't need it with the new range of Nikon lenses and the ability to crop in editing, things have moved on so far.

My advice is that they do continue to make nostalgia, as will be proved in 10 years when you look back at the purchase of your D70 when you purchase your new D170, still using the same lenses and still knowing that Nikon are the leaders in the digital camera world, along with Canon of course.

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 6:39 AM   #3
NHL

Here's a different opinon...

1. The Pentax *ist is not an entry level dSLR, so it should be compared with the like and not the D70/Drebel.

2. Like most dSLRs, the jpeg's picture won't have an over aggressive sharpening apply to them so you'll have more leeway in Photoshop (My 10D has the same softness)! If you compare the RAW output from the camera without any in-camera processing then it should not be any more different than a D70/D100 file since they all use the same CCD -> The outcome should only be dictated by the glass mounted up front... (and you can always increase the level of sharpness with the camera's menu in jpeg's)

3. The biggest thing going for the *ist is its size: It's the smallest of any dSLR! Even more diminutive than a 4/3 E1 and the lightest of them all... The other plus is this camera will take any battery from LiIon, CR-V3, to even AA when you're on the bind.

4. I wouldn't worry about this camera being obsolete... it'll take all the popular Pentax (even in screw mount) lenses
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:11 AM   #4

Pentax and Nikon are the only two companies to preserve their original lens mounts from day 1. So I'd say either of these two systems are great, and should not be a worry for future compatibility which is a far cry from Canon. Canon may have a great competitive system currently, but keep in mind the EF mount is only a decade old. They've switched lens mounts before, so it's likely they might again when faced with "engineering challenges" (as they did switching from manual to auto focus, when both Nikon and Pentax managed to implement both with the same lens mount system).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:23 AM   #5
NHL

Switching mount does come with certain advantages:
Quote:
The EF mount, with an internal diameter of 54mm (external diameter of 65mm), has the largest clear aperture of any lens system used with a 35mm SLR camera. The large aperture EF mount made possible the brightest lens in the world designed for a 35mm SLR camera, the "EF50mm f/1.0L USM" lens.
Staying with legacy products also involve carrying old bagages, ie focusing motor in the body -> some lenses focus faster/slower than others, whereas in lens motors are optimized for each lens and also facilate the Ultrasonic drive!

BTW the Contax has tried it too by moving the film plane for the AF instead of changing lens mount! :?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 10:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the input so far. One thing I did not consider is my existing 28-70 lens on the DSLR is 42-105 (approx - assuming 1.5x). So, I lose the wide angle I love so much. That means, another lens.
rtnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:17 AM   #7
NHL

You're in luck then (especially what Nikon and Canon charge for theirs) : http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD...x.aspx#reviews