Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2004, 4:35 AM   #1

I'm currently looking for a digi to replace my Canon S50. I'm considering the FZ20 but in comparing the camera on paper to what people think tends to be quite different. What do you think of the camera?

My biggest concern is the CCD. I read a review the otherday saying that the CCD is too small and so the pictures tend to be noisey. When talking about CCD's which is better, 1/1.8" or 1/2.5". I'm slightly confused because I don't use inches but centimetres.

Tavis82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:22 AM   #2

Unless I've missed them, there haven't been reviews of the FZ20 yet. Maybe you can set me right.

The numbers refer to the size of the CCD chip: 1/2.5" is approx 1 cm. 1/1.8 is approx 1.5 cm.

The theory is (as I understand it), the larger the CCD, the lower the noise everything else remaining the same. But things don't remain the same - the technology is improving all the time, so there is no reason that this year's 1/2.5" might have similar or even less noise that last year's 1/1.8". That's why people are waiting to see if Panasonic have made sufficient improvements to their chip to squeeze 5mps and relatively low noise out of it.

There are conflicting reports on the FZ10: if you compare it to pro-standard digicams, the noise is high; but compared to consumer digicams, the noise is quite low and resolution among the best. I've never heard of anyone who actually owns a FZ10 complain about noise, though...
hdburnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 2:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the help! Made the fog a little less dense:?

I'll have to get back to you aabout the review I think I read.
Tavis82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:35 PM   #4

Did see one review where the FZ-10's images were downgraded for being 'soft'. Think it was znet or cnet.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote