Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2004, 9:00 AM   #1

Been having a very hard time deciding wich camera to pick....
My heart kinda wants the Nikon Coolpix 5700, and I'm not very interessed in the P100 cause everyone owns a Sony Cybershot, I hate popular stuff...I live in Brazil, and down here the Cybershots are very popular...But I certainly won't discard the P100, it's still a very good camera.

What I really want is a 5 MP that can record movies and have a optical zoom bigger than 3x...like 5x is very nice!

So I've kinda narrowed my options down to thesefour cameras, they all cost nearly the same (with the P100 being way cheaper).

Pentax Optio 555 (compact, 5x optzoom,lots of options/modes)
Sony Cybershot DSC-P100 (compact, carl zeiss lens, cheaper,lots options)
Olympus C-5060 (wide27mm, 4xoptzoom)
Nikon Coolpix 5700 (compact, 8x opt zoom, expensive)

Hmm...funny, as I'm writtingthis post, I kinda realize that the Nikon isthe best one, right?
Still, what do y'all think?
Appreciate the attention, thanks!

llama-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2

I have had some limited experience with the Nikon and the Olympus, both are compromises (as are all digicams) but are very different compromises.

Nikon - Good zoom range but because the lens physically changes length as it zooms you must be very careful if you add lens adaptors. The lens is also considerably slower (smaller aperture) than the Olympus.The EVF in the Nikon is abbysmal in low light (almost as bad as the old Fuji 2800z). If you need the added reach of the longer lens this one is the obvious choice out of this group but it is far from perfect.

Olympus - A real wide angle is a very big plus, unless you are dealing with images which require a longer focal length, the Olympus lens also has a wider aperture. If you use the camera for interior shots, landscapes or groups the wide angle is more useful. The optical viewfinder is not as accurate as an EVF but it is usable in all lighting conditions (you can always use the LCD for critical framing). I also find the Olympus more comfortable in my hands than the Nikon.

Make your own coice but keep one thing in mind, put the type of photography you want to do first and buy the camera which best fits.

Wish I could comment on the Pentax (I use a far more modest Pentax Optio 33L) but I have never used one.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3

Hmm, so the Nikon has some flaws...interesting...I'm not very worried about the lens problem you mentioned, I won't be using other lens. But the aperture is a problem.

I will be taking a lot of panoramic and landscaepictures, on sunny and clear days (most often here in Rio). As for the kind of photographer, I'm not really sure...As I said, I'm looking for a digicam with 5mp, a nice zoom reach (like 5x), good macro mode and manual controls. Probably because I'm goin to spend some 400-500 bucks on it, and I want to make it worth it! My brother owns a P93 and my father has a Nikon 3200. They're both superb, great image quality, though sometimes I feel that the P93 does get a bit blurry....that's probably why I'm leaning towards the Nikon, or the P100(Zeiss will fiz the blurryness?)

Is the Olympus really good? I've never personally seen one. Is it well made? Good quality product? The problem with it is that, at the same time that it has wide , it also has a small zoom (4x).
Old Aug 22, 2004, 1:12 PM   #4

My mistake, the Olympus lens also gets quite slow at the tele end.

Personally I believe the build quality of both cameras to be first rate, and image quality as well. The Nikon is being replaced by the 8700 so there may be an opportunity to get one at a bargain price. Both the Nikon and Olympus offer battery grips which allow lots of extra pictures between battery changes and provide a portrait grip.

I am sorry about my mistake on the lens speed, the Nikon offers more zoom and is just as fast. The slightly wider Olympus zoom doesn't really make that much difference so the Nikon is the best choice of these cameras, especially since the Nikon portrait grip uses AA sized batteries.

The Sony and Pentax are excellent cameras but lack the professional look and feel of the Nikon and Olympus, both of which are built around metal chassis.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:37 PM   #5

So, has anyone else tried the Pentax 555 or the Nikon 5700??
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:00 AM   #6

I currently own a Nikon 5700, as well as , the Olympus 3040 and currently purchasing the Panasonic DMC FZ10, but debating on whether I should wait for the FZ15. Back to the subject though, the Nikon takes amazing photos. The color quality is superb and it just can't compare to the Olympus. However, there are flaws to it. The Nikon does not take very good night shots or dark lit situations. I also like to take sports photos and the NIkon isnot a fast camera. I use the "Continuous High" feature along with The Sandisk Ultra II, but it still does not capture all the action. There is a split second in between shots, whereas, the Olympus is super fast because of the internal memory it contains but the Olympus does not have the focal length that I need. I do love my Nikon as I use it more for landscaping shots. I just returned from Yellowstone National Park and took amazing pictures. It's a very advanced camera and I've had it for 1 year now and still have a lot to learn about it. It has many features, plus some. Although there are some flaws to it, I'm not disappointed in my camera. Once I download the pictures, I just get an "ahhhhh" from looking at the amzing picture quality of it. I would say, think about what you are going to use the camera for. If it's for action shots, look for something faster but if you want good quality, then Nikon is your choice. Let me know if you would like me to email you some pictures I took with both cameras so you can see the difference.
ctomaselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:03 PM   #7

Not knowing anything about anything except the C5060, I would highly recommend it to anyone. I've had mi9ne since November and love everything about it except that I want morezoom, which means I'll probably be buying an aftermarket one soon.I'd compare reviews, particularly conclusions and weigh the pros and cons. PC Wolrd online still ranks the Oly 5060 and 8080 as it's top 2 picks....Steves reviews and links to other review sites abound.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:54 PM   #8

Thank you all for being so helpful!
I've decided wich camera to buy, and ended up gettingthe Nikon 5700!
w00t!
I'm very anxious, can't wait to get it!
should be arriving in a couple of days!
Once I get some pics, I'll post them!