Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2004, 1:37 PM   #1
DvP

Easy Question but i could find no answer:

Which is the better one, the 8080 or the G6. I want to do:

Portraits
Macros
Landscape
Low Light Environment Shots (long shot time)
Lightnings (Thunderstorm)
Sport Shots

Please can somebody give me a hint which to take? I wanted to purchase the 8080 because i like the Handling, the Body, the Lens, the Zoom and the Features are great too but the Sample Pictures of the G6 look a lot sharper in Steve's Review. Now i dont know...

Thx for your help

P.S.: I think only Steve knows :-(

DvP
DvP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:06 PM   #2

Perhaps this link will help you decide. I'm very Pro on Olympus and have seen too many negatives about the Nikons in this class.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...05,pg,1,00.asp
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:19 PM   #3
DvP

I didn't say any word about Nikon Cams. I just wanna know why the sample-pictures of the G6 are that much sharper and more detail rich even with lower mpixel.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:20 PM   #4
DvP

I didn't say any word about Nikon Cams. I just wanna know why the sample-pictures of the G6 are that much sharper and more detail rich even with lower mpixel.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:20 PM   #5
DvP

Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:20 PM   #6
DvP

P.S.: SORRY for multiple posting! Had a problem with my browser and i dont know how to delete my posts.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:39 AM   #7
DvP

Please help me! Somebody out there must know...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:31 AM   #8

Looking at Steve's reviews. there seems to be very little in it between the two, except for one thing - the lens. You mention landscape photography, which requires wide angle, and the Olympus has 27mm equivalent as opposed to 35mm. I believe that speaks for itself. In the macro mode I have experience of the 8080 and found it impressive in it's ability and detail. The wide angle is imperative for landscape, and very useful for indoor photography.For the Canon is the F2 as against F2.4 lens though. But Hmmmm - sports and lightning? Such shots require instant shutter response and you'll have trouble here! The Canon is quoted at 1/10ths of a second if you have already half depressed th shutter, the Olympus 2/10ths, bothplus the reaction time for yourself. But you will have to be extra alert to have the shutter half depressed all the time for lightning fast (sic) responses!Don't count on perfect results, since here you really need an SLR! Both are roughly 140mm at the longer end (great for portrait), but of the two I would go for the Olympus for the reason mentioned above, the wider angle.But try both in the shop before buying to check on shutter response and most importantly which is most comfortable in the hand. Above all, don't get bogged down in the specifications, it is the user that counts too!

As regards sharpness and colors, this can be altered post shot with whatever software you use, so I don't think it is that important, and anyway you are looking not at the actual photos but at a screen which may or may not be properly calibrated. Finally, both are in Steve's "Best Buy" category.

Best of luck
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:56 PM   #9

Olympus 8080 has a Electronic Veiwfiner and the G6 does not. I sent back my 8080 because of this, but to each his own on whether they like the EVF It was hard for me to give up Olympus because I loved my 2020, but the quality on my G6 has been just as good.

I never did get a chance to try the 5060, that would have been my other choice because I can't see throught the EVF very well and i hated how it blacked out for a little bit after you shot the picture and you lose your subject that is moving.

Chris
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:57 PM   #10

Olympus 8080 has a Electronic Veiwfiner and the G6 does not. I sent back my 8080 because of this, but to each his own on whether they like the EVF It was hard for me to give up Olympus because I loved my 2020, but the quality on my G6 has been just as good.

I never did get a chance to try the 5060, that would have been my other choice because I can't see throught the EVF very well and i hated how it blacked out for a little bit after you shot the picture and you lose your subject that is moving.

Chris
wiste is offline   Reply With Quote