Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2004, 1:40 PM   #1

Hi guys. This is my first post. I want to know what the best DSLR is on the market for under £800 (with lens). Comparisons with more expensive cameras would be appreciated.

The money's burning a hole so act quick with the advice!
jonnyapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:05 AM   #2
blr

The common opinion is that the best "budget" DSLR out there is the Nikon D70, possibly packed with nikon 18-70 ED zoom. I don't know what prices are in the UK but 800 UKP sounds enough.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:56 AM   #3
Administrator

The two lowest priced DSLR models on the market today are the Nikon D70 and Canon EOS-300D (a.k.a., Digital Rebel).

Looking on Jessop's web site, the Nikon D70 with the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DC "kit" lens will run you £999.90.

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...UCT=NIKD701870

The Canon EOS-300D with the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S "kit" lens will run you £779.90.

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...CANEOS300D1855

Note that with these models, you must use what is known as a "crop factor" to determine the 35mm Equivalent Focal Length of any lens you use. This is because the sensors are smaller than 35mm film, so the image circle used is smaller, too.

This factor is 1.6x for the Canon EOS-300D. So, the 18-55mm kit lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 28.8-88mm.

This factor is 1.5x for the Nikon D70. So, the 18-70mm kit lens would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 27-105mm.

These kit lenses were designed specifically for DSLR models with a crop factor by their respective manufacturers. This allows a smaller, lighter lens than you'd get compared to a lens designed for a 35mm Film camera.

Note that I looked these up on Jessop's web site, because I understand that they are a respected vendor in the U.K. You may be able to find these models for less if you shop around with other online vendors. It does appear that the D70 may be backordered (since the site says normally ships in 2-3 weeks). This model has been extremely popular, so many vendors have been having a hard time keeping them in stock.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:42 AM   #4

if £800 is the top limit, you have a choice of 1 - the Digital Rebel

if you can stretch it, you can choose the D70. Jessops in London have reserved one (their last one of the recent delivery) for me that i am collecting tomorrow- £950 with the 18-70 kit lens and a 256mb card. Not many deals available because the things are walking out of the shops. Jacobs digital would not go below £999 for just the camera and lens (they had2 in stock), although i did not bargain too hard as i knew that they would not better the Jessops price.

internet deals are a bit cheaper (but again, the popularity means that they do not need to offer amazing deals) but you never know whether you are getting all of the contents of the kit box and you will probably have to wait. I suggest you speak to Jessops or another shop and discuss them ordering one for you.

IMO, the D70 is worth the extra £150.
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:34 AM   #5

I go with the D70 above the Rebel. Looking at Ebay there are loads for sale at your price level, but watch out for VAT on import. I have used ur-galaxy-ltd from Hong Kong several times and not paid duty at all since he declares it as "a gift of no commercial value". Each Nikon lens and teleconvertor arrived correctly boxed and new as described. His current price for the D70 with 18/70 lens is £756 and no import duty GUARANTEED.

Buying in England a quick search through Yahoo turned up £889 from dabs.com.

Remember you will need a compact flash card too, and I would advise not less than 256mb at the very least. A Sandisk 256mb is about £45 and 512mb is about £80

Best of luck
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:42 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Looking at Ebay there are loads for sale at your price level, but watch out for VAT on import. I have used ur-galaxy-ltd from Hong Kong several times and not paid duty at all since he declares it as "a gift of no commercial value". Each Nikon lens and teleconvertor arrived correctly boxed and new as described. His current price for the D70 with 18/70 lens is £756 and no import duty GUARANTEED.
Be careful buying discounted products from overseas vendors. Otherwise, you may not be able to get service.

For example: Nikon USA will not service a camera that is not intended for sale in the U.S. (even if you are willing to pay for it). This is to discourage the practice of gray market imports (since you are bypassing Nikon USA when you buy this way, and they are making profit from the distribution of Nikon products).

So, you will want to check with Nikon Europe for their policies before buying a product from a discounter in Hong Kong.

Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:06 AM   #7

ok guys. thanks a lot for your help. I know that jessops have 300d's in god supply and will check on d70. I went in jessops in london yesterday and marvelled at how good the cameras are. Think i might push for the d70 - just want to know if i'll be able to buy cheap old lenses to mess around with as easily as i could canon lenses.

Think if the answer's yes to that then i'll get me a d70
jonnyapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:13 AM   #8

Try running http://uk.pricerunner.com/ to find the best price for the camera you choose, printout the page and as long as the camera is in stock at a uk based shop Jessops will try and price match it. You can also do the same with memory. Hope this helps save you a few pounds. The EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) is £599.99 without lens or £669.95 including lens here http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdet...mp;ProdID=1152and they have the Nikon for £749.95 (without lens) or £899.95 with lens.
Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:33 AM   #9
Administrator

jonnyapps wrote:
Quote:
Think i might push for the d70 - just want to know if i'll be able to buy cheap old lenses to mess around with as easily as i could canon lenses.

Think if the answer's yes to that then i'll get me a d70
Tokina, Vivitar (although you rarely see anyone using Vivitar lenses), Sigma and Tamron all offer lenses in Nikon mounts.

We are also starting to see newer lenses designed specifically for Digital Cameras with a "crop factor". These lenses can be made smaller and lighter than lenses designed originallyfor 35mm film bodies (because the image circles can be smaller -- because the sensor in the camera is smaller than 35mm film).

Just keep in mind that any lens (Digital Specific or not) you buy for the D70 will have a 1.6x crop factor. So, you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6x to see the 35mm Equivalent Focal Length when used on the D70.

An example of one of the new Digital Specific Lenses you can buy is the new Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC lens. It's available in both Canon and Nikon mounts. With the D70, it would have a 35mm Equivalent Focal Range of around 27-188mm.

It's actually less expensive (although the prices are close) to buy the Nikon D70 body alone (without the kit lens), then buy the new Sigma 18-125mm DC lens to go with it. Although, the Nikkor 18-70mmkit lens may be slightly higher quality, the Sigma gives you a lot more focal range in a single lens.