Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:44 PM   #1

I don't know much about digital cameras. My job requires that I travel and sometimes I need to download photos to those computers. I finally started using the oldfloppy disc cameras which worked fine but its time to replace it.

I would like to get something with more storage, at least 3x zoom and be at least 3Mb. It has to be one that can download images to any computer and doesn't require that each have the software.

wolflb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:37 PM   #2

I don't think such a thing exists. Sony has aCD camera that might work for you. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/cd500.html

You wouldn't have any problem with a computer running XP as it recognizes most cameras as soon as you plug in the USB. But for older operating systems you usually have to install software. Same for card readers.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 5:46 PM   #3

I'd look at a portable memory card reader. Picked up one from PC Club. Has short USB cable. Comes with credit card CD for older OS's. Don't know about Mac's but USB is plug and play for Linux and Windows XP Only limitation is it doesn't know about XSD cards (or whatever Oly has invented to replace SD), newer model's might.

Safer than plugging in your camera..

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 6:12 PM   #4
Administrator

As already mentioned, newer PC's will most likely be OK and recognize most newer cameras. However, older operating systems could have problems, requiring installation of software.

One other thing you may want to consider is portable storage device with a built in card readers and CD Recorder. Then, you could simply burn CD's with the images on them. Most PC's should at least have a CD reader. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...onics_mfr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...eno_cp200.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:03 PM   #5

Thanks. Unfortunatly our network is 2000 does not support XP due to an ancient payroll system that is incompatable. Since I still like getting paid............

Looks like its eitheradding on the disc writer or back to floppies!
wolflb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:27 PM   #6

Why not use a USB card reader? Just carry it with you and when ever you need to offload some images to a PC, just plug in the card reader, insert a card and bam, your good to go.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:31 PM   #7

portable CD burners would work too...you plug in the card...burn the CD..then you can stick the CD in the CD-ROM and there you go...

not as easy as floppies...but would work better with the newer, higher resolution cameras..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:20 PM   #8

Where I work we had the same problems you are talking about. Different operating systems, desktops, laptops,etc. After trying a few 1 & 2 megapixel camera. We went out and purchased 6 of the Sony CD400 & CD500. It allows our users to have their own Sony disks or use it on many different machines. As long as your PC has a read/write CD you can open, delete, and writeto theSony mini CD's.

No longer do we have to install the software and worry about losing the PC tocamera cable. And our usersare very happy even to the point of having three of our camera grow legs and never be seen again. Would we go this route again - you bet. The Sony CD400/500 cameras have very nice lens and are easy for anyone to use. Or if you want to be creative you have all the manual controls as well.

I would suggest getting the optional view finder because there is no built in view finder and in bright sun light the LCD screen can get washed out.

Consider getting the extended battery as well. It was the second best thing I bought.

When I purchased my Canon 10D six months ago my wife flat told me we are not getting rid of the Sony. So we each have a camera when traveling.
Attached Images

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:22 PM   #9

Here is another picture. These were taken at full auto mode, only resized.
Attached Images

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:27 PM   #10
Administrator

billy wrote:
Quote:
Why not use a USB card reader? Just carry it with you and when ever you need to offload some images to a PC, just plug in the card reader, insert a card and bam, your good to go.
He doesn't want to worry about the need to install software (see his original post).

Only newer operating Systems like Win 'XP don't require the installation of drivers for card readers (see his later post that they are usingWin 2000). With newer service packs, most readers will run on W2K.. But, they may not have them installed (and may even be using some older PC's). Not everyone is running Win 'XP yet (I don't -- I cloned my last drive when I upgraded hardware, since I didn't want to be slowed down byXP, or have compatibility problems with my older software).

His best bet is probably to go withone of the Sonys that can write to CD (asSlipe originallysuggested) -- or go withaportable CD Burner with built in card readers.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote