Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:18 PM   #1

hello Forum members

I had my heart set on the Minolta Z3,,,but on the Minolta Forum it is not faring at all well.many complaints aboput noise and also bands in some pictures

I want a camera with a great zoom,,,a nice Macro and the ability to capture sporting events,,,,any suggestions would be very welcome

thank you

Joy
bcelliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:58 PM   #2

I'm going to go for the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15, it features a 12x zoom lens, venus 2 engine, and 4 megapixels.
DanielRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:08 PM   #3

Think about the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20 as well, if I'm not mistaken it has an extra megapixel over the FZ15
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:11 PM   #4

thanks for the rplys,,,I am looking longingly at the FZ 20,,,,and am waiting for Steve to review the Z3

Joy
bcelliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:17 AM   #5

Please keep in mind that Panasonic's warranty program has changed. They now offer a one year warranty on parts BUT only 90 days on labor!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 7:43 PM   #6

I am looking for the same features. I also want to be sure the camera has an image stabilizer and an AFassist lamp since I shoot a lot at night. The Olympus don't have image stabilizers. And from reviews I have read, the Canon Powershot S1 IS and Konica Minolta Z3 don't have AF assist lamps. From what I have read, seems the only cameras with my 4 "must-have features" (at least 8x zoom, fast for sport shots, image stabilizer, AF assist lamp) are the Panasonics--DMC FZ3, 10, 20. If anyone has any of the above cameras I would appreciate your recommendations, or any other suggestions for cameras with the above features. Thanks.
zeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:38 PM   #7

Zeddie-

I don't mean to be offensive, but I honestly don't think that you know how focus assist lamps work. They only reach out to a maximum of about 10 feet and they are not effective for night shots.

No, the Canon S-1 does not have a focus assist lamp because it does not need it under normal conditions. That camera has received great reviews and is a bargain price-wise.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:24 PM   #8

You're right...I obviously don't know about them! I thought they would help take pictures at night (without one, I can see absolutely nothing at night--don't know if the pic is good until after it's taken.) So you think they wouldn't be helpful to me? I was definitely leaning toward an FZ-20 (via research only--haven't gone into stores and tried checked cameras out yet), but now I guess I'll put the Canon back on the list, especially since it's on sale this week.
zeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 1:42 PM   #9

Where is it on sale at for this week and what is the price?

Thanks
peburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 3:02 PM   #10

I disagree with Sarah about the AF lamp to some extent. I agree with her that the Canon S1 for some reason still gets great picture dispite it not having the AF lamp, but that on most cameras you really do need it. Using a camera with an AF lamp, I have gotten great pictures of my sleeping daughter when I wasn't even sure if I was pointing the camera in the right direction. In my mind those pictures would have been impossible without the AF lamp. The Canon will get some low light pictures that other camera without the AF lamp would never be able to get. However I doubt that the Canon S1 in automatic mode would get as good of a picture in that totally dark situation as a camera with an AF lamp.

I don't have an S1 yet, but I may get it dispite my being strickly an ultra compact or compact camera with 35mm or better in wide angle type person. I just have to decide if I am willing to carry this camera around a wide angle adaptor. I also wanted to see what reviewers said about the Z3 since it wouldn't have required a wide angle adapter lense to give me the full range of uses I would like to use my camera for. I just don't know if I could get over the size issue. If I did get one of these cameras, it would end up being my secondary camera since most of the time I have no idea that I will be wanting my camera and I literally wear my ultra compact camera on me any time I am dressed.
Beverly W is offline   Reply With Quote