Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:57 PM   #11

I can't praise my G5 enough. If you want some control without the expense of DSLR then this is the one IMHO. Manual focus option, greater control of depth of field (given the format and focal length) through aperture priority, freezing action pictures through shutter prioritisation and these features are achievable through good ergonomics etc and not just gimmicks which are difficult to manipulate.

My old Nikon 885 was a pile of trash. Never worked from day 1 (i was bluffed by the retailer on complaining) and finally died within 2 years of careful use. Nikon UK didn't want to know.
kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:49 PM   #12

I´v been looking for a very good camera, notdslr,for about 4 months,I tryed to buy the G3 and then the G5 (really good cameras) from amazon, but my credit was full, lucky me!!!! :-):-)and I am faar away fromUSA digital stores (patagoniaarg.), so,burning my eyes in forums and reviewsI found the "Panasonic lumix" line of ultra zooms,stabilized f2.8 aaaall throu the lens!!! full tele 12x, and "Leyca" lenses, gwhat a sharp and beauuutifull photos mama mia!!!

Im not sayng the "G´s" or s1 are bad no no no no no, but if you are looking agood and not expensive camera,very easy to use and really fast,try to see de review of the Pana FZ3 in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/if you are looking for s1. If you need 4 o 5 MP and external flash go for the fz10 or fz20

...Shhhhh don´t tell anybodie!!

I´v got the fz20, I´m the happyest man in the world... its a tank!!!

here´s one of my firsts Photos with fz20 (and firstdigicam), hope to be usefull !!

from end of the earth... Moncho

Attached Images

Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:51 PM   #13

I´v been looking for a very good camera, notdslr,for about 4 months,I tryed to buy the G3 and then the G5 (really good cameras) from amazon, but my credit was full, lucky me!!!! :-):-)and I am faar away fromUSA digital stores (patagoniaarg.), so,burning my eyes in forums and reviewsI found the "Panasonic lumix" line of ultra zooms,stabilized f2.8 aaaall throu the lens!!! full tele 12x, and "Leyca" lenses, gwhat a sharp and beauuutifull photos mama mia!!!

Im not sayng the "G´s" or s1 are bad no no no no no, but if you are looking agood and not expensive camera,very easy to use and really fast,try to see de review of the Pana FZ3 in http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/if you are looking for s1. If you need 4 o 5 MP and external flash go for the fz10 or fz20

...Shhhhh don´t tell anybodie!!

I´v got the fz20, I´m the happyest man in the world... its a tank!!!:|

here´s one of my firsts Photos with fz20 (and firstdigicam), hope to be usefull !!

from end of the earth... Moncho

Attached Images

Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:11 PM   #14

I had the s1 for over 6 months now. it takes beautiful pictures and prints on 8x10 turned out fantastic. I love it, it's easy to use and handle nicely.

The G6 is much bigger camera and harder to hold and handle. The Panasonic FZ20 is belong to difference group, it's much much bigger and heavier to carry, its costs much more. Buy the Canon S1, apart from keeping some money in your pocket, you will be happy and enjoy it.
jimmy380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:41 PM   #15

After I'd bought my S1 IS I was disappointed to find it had no macro function. But then I discovered that I can manage quite well without it - I just set it at 10x zoom, and then retreat just far enough (I think it's about 2 1/2 feet) from the thing being photographed for the image to be in focus.

Here's a picture taken that way - it's 965x691. It's cropped from the original 2048x1546 but hasn't been resized. I also applied Unsharp Mask to it. The camera was hand held, though for poorer light I find it better to use a tripod.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:39 AM   #16

~ I have the G5 and I absolutely love it! If you want to have control of your camera go with the G5. The fact that you can shoot RAW, if you want, is a great plus. If you get the G5 there are some accessories that if bought would really enhance you photography.A 512-1 G CF, external flash, Lensmate 52mm adapter, and some filters. You might hear about people complaining about the lenscap falling off. I've now had my G5 for about a year and have not had a problem with the cap. The tilt/swivel LCD screen is a GREAT feature to have.~

8)
PhillyPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:53 AM   #17

i think the S1 has a very poorly designed manual mode. Its a great point & shoot camera. As far as accessories, I believe an adapter tube & protective filter is necessary for S1 to protect lens.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:09 PM   #18

S1IS doesn't have autofocus assist lamp right?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:48 PM   #19

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
S1IS doesn't have autofocus assist lamp right?
yeah... it doesn't have AF assist lamp...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:14 PM   #20

One complaint about the S1 IS is that the lens cap falls off easily.

I think the cap's intended to fall off easily, because if it didn't, it would obstruct the forward movement of the lens barrel when you switch the camera on.

There's certainly no risk of losing the lens cap so long as you have it attached to the camera with the small, black cord that comes with the camera and that you attach to the lens cap and the camera body.

And another thing - The S1 IS does have a fully articulating viewing screen.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote