Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:01 AM   #1

:OI am in the market for a new digital camera – my Kodak DC260 (1.5 megapixels) is dying after about 5 years. I thought I had a good camera picked out but I am not too impressed with the sample pictures that I have seen from the camera. It is the Panasonic DMC-FZ20, a 5 meg camera. I like all the features it has – the controls seem set up well, the compact size, the 12X zoom! and what seems to be an impressive lens. I have been dying to replace my old camera with one with aperture control. The DMC-FZ20 is a compact DSLR like camera that looked like the exact camera I wanted – aperture priority, shutter speed priority, manual, AF and manual focus, image stabilization, …. I like to take scenic pictures, sports shots of my kids, and even a few weddings (not professional of course) and this camera seemed perfect for all of this.

Has anyone been able to critically evaluate the DMC-FZ20? Is this a good 5 megapixel camera? I downloaded the photos from the Panasonic web site and I was not that impressed – pictures did not seem to be that sharp – not very good details, and the colors did not seem that vibrant. Maybe the pictures that Panasonic is making available are not very good examples. Am I looking at this unfairly since I have to use my computer set at 1024x768 resolution to evaluate the pictures? I did blow the pictures up to 400% and more and did not see much noise but as I said before, I just was not that impressed. Is this what I should expect from a 5 meg camera? Are there much better 5 meg cameras out there that you would recommend?
Anybody have any good recommendations for me – get a 5 or an 8 meg camera and how about a couple of specific model suggestions? I would really appreciate any help or recommendations that you could give me.
rocketcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:38 AM   #2

ok go onto dpreview.com and go into the forums and panasonic forum, there are so many discussions, samples and comments about this cam (seem to be none here)
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:33 PM   #3

thanks - i'll check there
rocketcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 7:37 PM   #4

As an owner of an LC5, a camera that other digital owners seem to relish in trashing, I have to say that I don't see what all the whining is about. To judge any LUMIX camera you have to compare the prints not the computer renderings of the images. I assume, of course that you bought a camera to make prints. That is after allwhere the LC5 shines. From what I've seen the same is true of the other LUMIX cameras. I guess it is the same difference in deciding which is better LPs or CDs for sound quality. For pure emotion, nothing can equal the quality of an LP, but very few people buy them today. My early generation LUMIX frequently out performs both my Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR and my Olympus IS1 SLRin print quality. I have taken thousands of pictures with the camera and the only reason I am considering upgrading to an FZ20 is the 12X Optical Zoom and the availability of the lower ISO settings. I openly admit that the LC5 occasionally produces some modestly posterizedpictures at ISO 400, but so did my other cameras in low light situations. Asa result I rarely bought ISO 400 film any way.With the LC5, it was usually because I forgot to reset my preference after trying something edgy. And if you are really disturbed by some pixelization at 400% enlargement magnifications, I have a recommendation.......buy a Hassleblad. No offense, but talk about picky!

:blah:
fbcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:56 PM   #5

fbcx wrote:
Quote:
To judge any LUMIX camera you have to compare the prints not the computer renderings of the images.
Those days are GONE!!! Digital cameras aren't print-only cameras...it's like saying that a film camera should only be used for prints, and not for slides.

Digital cameras are actually video cameras FIRST (since they are CCD based), and print cameras second. Personally, I've printed less than 5% of the pictures I've taken...many of my pictures ended up in digital slideshows.

How many people would accept a statement saying that a digital camera is only good for on-screen viewing, not print viewing...why should we accept the opposite?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 3:51 PM   #6

I looked at this camera recently, but went with the Kodak DX7590 instead. Mainly because I think Kodak does a better job with color. If you visit dpreview.com, be sure to check out the Kodak forum as well. There are some great pics there, in both forums.
cc_west is offline   Reply With Quote