Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1

I've got a Sony DSC-F828 thatI recently bought after selling my DSC-V1. Although I really like all the features of the 828, the image quality is about identicle to the V1 it replaced. I was hoping it would take it to the next level. My question is I could probably get enough for the 828 with it's case and memory for what a D70 body would cost (I have an N70 with a decent assortment of lenses so I could get by with just the body) Would the D70 be the next level I was hoping for or should I just keep the 828 and improve my shooting skills
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:13 PM   #2
Administrator

You need to determine what you don't like about the images before you can answer the question.

Have you compared the sample photos from both models in the reviews here to see if you like one model better than the other?

Do you need to take photos at higher ISO speeds?A DSLR would have less noise because of it's larger sensor, and is able to shoot at higher ISO speeds.

Do you want more or less depth of field (the amount of the image in focus as your get further away from your focus point)? The Sony DSC-F828 will have dramatically more depth of field at any given aperture and 35mm Equivalent Focal length, so many consumers like this. To get the same Depth of Field with the D70, you'd need to stop down the aperture significantly (which will result in slower shutter speeds). However, some photographers want a shallower Depth of Field (since this can help to blur backgrounds to make your subjects stand out). If this is the case, then a DSLR is a better choice.

Do you like a live feed to the LCD Display? This is not possible on a DSLR. The LCD is only used for playback of images. You will also not have things like video recording capability with a DSLR (something I would not use anyway).

Are you going to be satisified with your existing lenses? Because the D70's sensor is smaller than 35mm film, you must multiply the actual focal length of a lens by 1.5x to get the 35mm Equivalent Focal Length on the D70. So, a 50mm lens will have a 35mm Equivalent Focal Length of 75mm on the D70. If you like shooting at longer focal lengths this can be good. However, if your lenses don't start out very wide, you may have to buy new lenses for some uses. So, factor this into your costs.

I would figure out what you don't like about your photos first, and see if it's something that can be corrected using software (you may not like the photos "straight from the camera" with a DSLR, either). It could also be something you are doing wrong. Or, it could only be unrealistic expectations. For example: some consumers assume that more megapixels = higher quality (which I'm guessing is why you sold your DSC-V1 and bought the DSC-F828 ). This is usually not the case (unless you need large prints).

Also, consider the conditions you'll be using a camera in. Then, make a decision on whether a DSLR would provide any benefits.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Jim, you've basicly reaffirmed why I bought the 828 over a DSLR to begin with. LCD display, fixed 28-200 lens, depth of field etc. I think I just need to spend more time with the manual and get some more shooting in. I've taken a few shots with the 828 that are absolutley amazing but I seem to have more not-so-good shots than I did with the V1. I do a lot of printing from 8x10 to 13x19 so the added resolution is nice.

Thanks again, BC
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote