Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:10 PM   #1

just have a few questions if anyone could anwser it would be great first off, i want the camera for shooting tennis shots really (so want a quick delay when taking shots and the saving to memory) so im wondering if its better to get a dslr over a cam like a fz20 considering what my use will be for

i was thinking about the fz20 but i also wondered how much a dslr would cost? which is a good one? also i would want a lens with a good zoom, how much would i be looking at? (and how does the zoom compare to the 12x. preferably looking for higher than that)

thanks
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:08 PM   #2
eal

Since I am in the same boat as far as my camera choices, FZ20 vs dslr. I'll post what my thoughts have been so far. Though there are many posts addressing this that can give you much more information, from people who know much, much more than I do. I'm hoping that anyone reading this will post any corrections. As far as speed goes, the dslr will be faster shot to shot, as well as autofocus(if you choose to use it). But speed aside, it depends more on if you want more of a point and shoot, or something more manual. While you can get the same zoom as the fz20s 36mm to 432mm range, it will be costly to have it at the same f2.8 throughout the range(i.e. hundreds to thousands depending on the lense manufacturer). Lower fstop means more light gathering. The 12x or whatever zoom, doesn't really mean anything unless you know what the wide angle measurements are on the lense, the fz20 is 12x becuase 12x36mm=432mm, you have to remember this when looking at lenses. Dslrs have someting called the cropping factor. Becuase of the side of the cmos element( the thing that actually captures the picture) is not the same size as a 35mm film camera, you have to multiply the lense measurements by this factor. The digital rebel(canon) is 1.6 and the d70(nikon) is 1.5 I list these since these are probably your mostly likly choices for a first time dslr user, imho.

Actually before the choice of auto vs. manual should be cost. FZ20 ~$600. Either entry level dslr will hit you for anything between ~$850-$1000, or more depending on if you get the kit lense with it or not.. The lenses that come with these cameras are 18-50mm Canon(28.8-80mm 35mm equivalent), or 18-70mm Nikon(27-105mm 35mm equivalent) I've seen some lenses that are close to the 432mm of the fz20, but not on the wide angle.

That's probably all I should post, or else I run the chance of giving you wrong information.. I would definitly check the forums here, there are many questions asking the same question.

As far as my self, I'm waiting to see some more indepth reviews of the fz20 and also waiting to see if a second generation digital rebel is going to comeout before I make my decision. I currently have a Oly. c2100 uz, but it is on it's last leg, and I don't want to spend $200 or more to get it fixed when there seems to be such good things comming out. I'm almost considering getting getting a dslr and a fz20 just to cover my bases, but that is probably over kill at this point in the game for me.

So I guess it boils down to these questions:

1.) What is your limit to what you want to spend?

2.) Are you more of a point and shoot, or do you want to in the end, do somethings manually.

3.) What is the limit to what you want to spend :-) ?

Good luck! Read, read, read, and then read more. I took last week of from work and spend half of my time online just researching what my next step would be. If you have any more questions, be sure to post them, the people here have been very helpful.

eal

www.pbase.com/ealewis

eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:42 PM   #3

i have used a manual slr before, but not like a pro lol. im not sure on the price actually, but i am maybe considering how much a second hand camera/lens would be, because i bought my old manual slr like this. also the lens is going to be expensive as i want a big zoom
thanks for the info tho, really helpful
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:18 PM   #4

have you come to a decision yet?:?