Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:24 PM   #11

Thanks Jim, Do you think there is any other Point & shoots that I should look at other then the G6 for what I'm looking for..........Thanks Ken
CaboKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:42 PM   #12
Administrator

None of the more recent models will have a lens as bright (or a CCD withvery good noise charateristics). You may want to look at the older G3 (it's 4MP 1/1.8" CCD was not bad for noise). But, it's a slower camera than the newer G6. The Sony DSC-F717 would be another model to look at (not the newer DSC-F828 which has very high noise as ISO speeds are increased). The Sony DSC-F717 has abright f/2.0-F/2.4 lens with a 2/3" 5MP CCD, with noise levels that are not bad compared to other models in it's class.

In the more recent point and shoot models, I think that the G6 is likely to be as good a choice as any (as far as a non-DSLR model goes -- as most of the DSLR's would workmuch better).Although I haven't seen a lot of tests on how this new 7MP CCD performs at higher ISO speeds yet --- it does appear to be better than I would have expected based on the few shots I have seen. But, make sure to buy one from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy and test it in a similar environment ahead of time -- just to make sure the quality is acceptable for your needs.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:11 AM   #13

Jim-

How about an Olympus 5050 with the F1.8 lens? I am now familiar with the CCD design, but that might be another possibility and be less costlier than the G-6. Just a thought.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:37 AM   #14
Administrator

Sarah:

I almost mentioned it. But, it's an older model now, and it's going to be hard to locate one (buydig.com still shows it, but they'd have a restocking fee if he decides it won't be good enough after testing it).

Interestingly, looking at some of the ISO 400 samples from the new Sony 7MP 1/1.8" CCD (at least from the new Canon G6), the noise levels actually seem a little bit lower than the 5MP 1/1.8" CCD (which is the opposite of what I would have expected, due to the smaller pixel pitch).

At first I thoughtit could just be better image processing used by Canon in newer models that could be reducing the appearance of noise. But, looking at the ISO 400 images from the newA95, this doesn't seem to be the case (the ISO 400 sample Steve took with the A95appears to have more noise to my eyes, compared to the ISO 400 sample from new G6). So, it's probably an improvement by Sony in the CCD design.

I still haven't seen enough photos from this new CCDto draw any firm conclusions, though. In concert lighting conditions (where you have uneven lighting with more shadow areas), the results may be quite different at higher ISO speeds.

Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:49 PM   #15

At the end of the day the basic parameters remain the same for consumer digital cameras. When you do not use flash and have to resort to high ISO settings, you will certainly have to deal with noise.

So haul out the Noise Ninja!

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:51 AM   #16

Hello The A2 Has a 2/3 type Interlaced primary color CCD & The G6 has a 1 1/8" primarey color filter.. What is the differance here & Is this something I ever need to look at???????
CaboKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:47 PM   #17
Administrator

CaboKen wrote:
Quote:
Hello The A2 Has a 2/3 type Interlaced primary color CCD & The G6 has a 1 1/8" primarey color filter.. What is the differance here & Is this something I ever need to look at???????
In theory, if the sensor designs were close, the A2 should have lower noise levels; because the size forof photosites for each pixel are larger. However, based on the very small number of photos I've looked at so far from the G6; it's got the lower noise levels. So, Sony may have made some improvements in the noise characterics with the newer sensors (Sony makes the 8MP 2/3" sensor used in the A2, and makes the 7.2MP 1/1.8" Sensor used in the G6).

The lens in the G6 is also twice as bright as the lens in the A2's on the wide angle end. So, based on the ranges you gave us, this is where you should be shooting at most of the time. So, I would be inclined to go with the G6 instead.

Now, if you were going to be using more zoom; I'd be inclined to lean towards the DiMAGE A1, since the anti-shake would have an advantage. Personally, I'd avoid the 8MP models like the A2 for low light use (but that's just my opinion). If a longer zoom is needed for other uses, I'd also take a look at the Sony DSC-F717. It's got a very bright lens that's f/2.0 at wide angle, only dropping off to f/2.4 at full zoom. The Sony uses a 5MP 2/3" CCD (so it has much lower noise levels, compared to the newer models using the 8MP 2/3" CCD).

I hate to sound like a "broken record", but I would buy from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy -- in case you decide that the image quality is not acceptable and you need to go with a DSLR. Then, I'd try it in a club with live music to see what to expect -- shooting at Auto ISO, ISO 200 and ISO 400. Then, run the images through Noise Reduction Software to see how well they clean up. Here are the 3 best ones that I've seen:

Neat Image: http://www.neatimage.com

Noise Ninja: http://www.picturecode.com

Noiseware: http://www.imagenomic.com/(this one is free).