Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1

Hi all. Recently decided that Iw ould like to get a digital camera. Here in South Africa after purchasing 128 MB of memory and rechargable batteries for the Canon, these 2 cameras would have a similar total cost. (ie the difference in memory price of flash vs stick will pay for the batteries for the canon).
Is 3.2 MP enough? Is the sony dfinately a better camera being 4.1 MP.
I would lie a fairly good al round camera for most in and outdoor conditions. I am not likely to do many enlargements. Close up photo's of small objects would be nice for my main interest which is audio equipment which I modify, build and restore and I would like to be able to post good pictures on related forums of these. (I am rather fond of electron vcuum tube gear called electon valve gear by brits, hence my tubenut moniker)

I am a photographic novice and have until now only used fixed lens point and shoots from minolta and samsung....

Any suggestions on these 2 models?

Regards and thanks for any help on making up my notoriously indecisive Libran mind )
tubenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:40 PM   #2

Is there nobody out there with an opinion???:?:
Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:43 PM   #3

Both the Canon A-75 and the Sony P-73 are very evenly matched. If price is the bottomline criteria, then it sounds like the Canon beats Sony by a nose.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:19 PM   #4

Thanks

To get both cameras to 128 MB level of memory and rechargeable batteries there will be no real difference in price.
The main thing I have noticed with digital photos taken by friends is that they appear "soft" in comparison to 35mm. Sort of a lack of finer detail and clarity.
It seems like the canon has the better lens and the sony better resolution from what I have read...
What will give me the sharper picture? Lens or resolution? I guess there is no easy answer to that.
On my audio equipment I use small USD 1800 speakers, prefering resolution and resolving ability over absolute volume and bass extension. Ie, I prefer to have accuracy on what my equipment attempts to do rather then trying to do it all at a lower level of quality.
Dunno if this analogy gives anyone in insight of what I look for.
(Prefer vinyl, analogue, by far over digital cd as far as audio goes). Love the convenience of digital mediums though.

Thanks