Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

i am looking to replace my Fuji 4800z after it has stopped responding and totaly refuses to turn on. so ive been looking at the F810, ive read about it on the fuji web site and it seems good for me. as someone who has little photography knowledge, it seems a good way to get into using manual modes. i have tried out the F710 briefly in a shop as they didnt have the F810 for sale yet. i havent been able to find any reviews about the F810 yet so i'm just trying to find out what people think about it if you have one... or have any suggestins which could help with my final choice of replacement camere.

Snood
(Paul Hughes)
Snood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:33 PM   #2

Paul-

The Fuji F-810 will not be sold in the United States. However, like the Fuji F-710, which is not sold in the United States either, the Fuji F-810, when released will be sold mainly in the UK.

The reviews on the Fuji F-810 will probably be available closer to this digital camera's introduction date.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:35 PM   #3

I am in the UK so thats no problem. howcome Fuji dont release these cameras in the States?

Snood
Snood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:46 PM   #4

Paul-

I have a Fuji 700 and think that it is a wonderful digital camera. However, I personally believe that the F-700 was misunderstood in the US and as a result received rather poor reviews. Based on that, Fuji appeared to become much more selectivewith their distribution network. So here in the US we do not have the F-710 nor will we have the F-810. I wish we did.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:07 PM   #5
a2b

tried one From jessps uk 28 day try sent it back most shots over exposed for some reason! MINOLTA G600 took much nicer pictures. if you want 6MP , there was not alot of difference in 810 12or 6 mp mode that i could see, it seems overpriced and not nice to hold to me trying canon A95 now that takes nice shots like the MINOLTA did and feels nice to hold try befor you buy . jesssops let you return a camera if your not happy up to 28 days UK.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 3:20 AM   #6

Fuji has just announced the F810 for the US. It should be available in October at a MSRP of $599.

I have been using an F700 for about a year & have been quite satisfied with it.

I am looking to upgrade & am trying to decide between the F810 & the Exilim Pro EX-P700., which is also expected to be available in October.

Anybody here with comments ?

Thx.

travelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:52 PM   #7

Just ordered the Fuji FinePix F810 for $380 (plus FedEx 2 day shipping) in the US.

Ultimately, I decided on the reviews which claimed the F810:

has prosumer features and manual modes
has excellent resolution, detail, and exposure with good dynamic range, although it tends towards dark midtones which is expected in a model in this class with high dynamic range.
been highly reviewed despite poor marketing in the US
170kp 16:9 screen (!) and 16:9 shooting modes
all-metal excellent build quality
Extra controls on body should make shooting manual easy, like: scroll wheel, for A S P M modes, dedicated AF button, dedicate exposure adjustment button.
Excellent 640+320 30fps avi capture

Reviews say the F810 12mp really does produce more detail than 6.3 interpolated, that it captures down to about 1600+ lines per inch in tests. So, I'd say the 810 is equivalent to a compact 8mp camera all things considered.

In reviews, the only noteworthy image quality gripes for a model of this size included acceptable purple fringing, and aggressive compression in 6mp images only offerning fine compression in 12mp, and slight over sharpening on default.

Compression: I realized that the 12mp mode would only be needed for ultra high quality shots, or if I need to crop/digitally zoom. The 12mp quality is more than enough, and with very fine detail. 6mp would be more than enough for everything else. Since I'll be down sampling for 4x6 and even 8x11 anyways, the 6mp quality should be more than enough.

Fringing is a bummer, although it's no worse than anything else in this range, and much better than many other compacts. The Sony has no fringing, which would be nice, but I'd prefer the Fuji wider lens and extra zoom, and high detail, which will always work, and I'll edit out the occasional fringes.

Sharpening is easy, simply setting the camera to "soft" mode produces excellent shots which are sharpening artifact free, and still quite sharp actually. Then can be forther sharpened in PS without artifacts, although I doubt this will be necessary very often if at all, as those subjects will be shot @ 12mp, which should be more than enough. Anyways, the sharpening issues are quite slight at normal settings, quite acceptable. One of my first tests will be shooting black text in soft mode, to look for any sharpening halos. From reviews I've seen, I expect none.

The only camera in the size range better on fringing was the Sony 150 which amazingly produces no fringe due to it's awesome Zeiss lens. Unfortunately, the Sony has other issues, like noise reduction deleting details and producing a slightly soft image in regards to detail. There is no workaround for that I know of, and once it's gone, it's gone.

Anyways, I'll post a lengthy review once it's tested. The most helpful reviews I found for it (and the E550 with same internals and optics) are:

http://server.imaging-resource.com/P...50/E55PICS.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf810/

note on DPreview.com : they gave the e550 a "Highly recommended" and the F810 only a recommended due to price and also they didn't seem to appreciate the extra features.

Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote