Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2004, 12:15 PM   #1

I'm looking for a great digicam for $300 (street price). I'm very interested in the Canon A85 and Nikon 4200. No one has reviewed either except Steve. The A85 gets a "Steve's Pick" as one of the best in its category, but the 4200 does not. Anyone have a comment on either? The 4200 has a very good write up, but why no "Steve's Pick"?

Thanks, Chris
borchert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:38 PM   #2

The Canon-85 is clearly the better digital camera. However, Nikon cameras still have a large following, so it will do well even though it is the lesser digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 8:10 AM   #3

What if I threw in the Olympus C-5000 into the mix? It gets good reviews on picture quality. Anyone have experience with it?
borchert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:05 PM   #4

borchert wrote:
Quote:
What if I threw in the Olympus C-5000 into the mix? It gets good reviews on picture quality. Anyone have experience with it?

The C-500 is inexpensive, but it has some real problems. It has a severe red eye problem. It has slow shot to shot times and is bigger than than even the Canon A-85. If speed was not an issue and you wereNEVER going to us this camera's on board flash, then consider it.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:02 PM   #5

The Steve's picks you are refering to was a mistake the A85 is not the upgrade from the A80 and he has changed the A85 back to the A80 in the 4 meg range.
peburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:05 PM   #6

Forgot to add this to the last post.

For the record office depot has the A80 on sale for 248.99 and for the the labor day weekend you get 20% off all cameras. Thats right folks.

You can get a Canon A80 for only 199.00 to low a price for that camera. Only while supplies last and are in stock no back orders. I had to drive about 17 miles because the5 around me were all out.

peburton is offline   Reply With Quote